GMC IntelliLink InfoTainment Playable Video Formats

Hello. I have a 2016 Yukon XL Denali and am looking for way to hookup chromecast to the rear seat entertainment system.

I currently have a HDMI to RCA converter on the way as a temporary solution. This will work but will not be HD 1080p.

I'd love to upgrade the screens to larger 13.3" or 15.6" capable of 1080p.

Another option I'm interested in is changing out the rear seat control panel from the 2017 Yukons with the HDMI input. Does anyone know if that would be possible?

I didn't realize this but just tried it out and it works. Thanks! Only limitation I see is that you must play different sources. Second row screen was SD card, third row I had to change to Bluray to get it to work. I don't see a way to watch two different videos from a single SD card.

IMG_3520.jpg

You can do it via the menu. I have a 2015 suburban. I connected a 1TB hard drive with about 1800 movies to usb ports on the rear of the console. Then kid 1 can use the remote to select that source and scroll through the files and choose a movie. Then then hand the remote to kid 2 who can do the same with the rear screen.

So yes, both rear screens can play different files from the same source. Hope my explanation made sense.

• 1 month later...

Another option I'm interested in is changing out the rear seat control panel from the 2017 Yukons with the HDMI input. Does anyone know if that would be possible?

I'm looking into this option. I went to the local GMC dealer today and they tried to look up the part number for me. It's still listed as the older composite in their system so no luck. I also pulled up the GM upfitter website to check and see if the wiring was the same and it also was not listed as HDMI.

It looks like its the exact same size as the current inputs. Hopefully it's the same wiring. Also it looks like its the same one used in the Cadillac CT6 for the rear entertainment package.

mm_gal_item_c2_11.img_resize.img_stage._

• 1 month later...

I have a huge iTunes library with a lot of kids movies (complete with DRM making it a pain to just move files). I bought Noteburner M4V Converter Plus for $45 and problem solved. Select the movie or show in your library you want converted and it makes a lossless copy in about 20 minutes. Drag to SD card, put in SD card slot in 2nd row and the videos fire right up. Using the remote control you can navigate between movies. Only hiccup I ran into is the 2GB max files size on FAT32 (a lot of the HD moves are 4 gb), so I reformatted the SD card using NTFS, moved the movies over and it worked just fine in my Suburban.

http://www.noteburner.com

I have about 30 movies on one SD thumb drive. The thumb drive was formatted FAT32. All the movies played fine in order and and I could select the next movie with the forward and back arrows on the dash.

I tried to add an HD movie that was 3.5 GB and it says the file was too big.

So I reformatted to NTFS. All the movies copied over.

But now it only makes it through the first 5 movies then it freezes at the "D" movies. After a while, the movies start again in Alphabetical order.

The movies are with in thier own folders on the drive.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I just go back to FAT32 and leave the HD movie out?

Does anyone have all thier files on the drive, not in folders? Just all in the root directory?

We're leaving town in the morning and I really need this thing working again.

Edited by SierraMyst

Not really. I typically load 3-4 movies onto an SD card knowing what they are in my head. You can use the track forward buttons below the screen to choose the next and then they loop. So, if I have 4 movies I know moving to the next will be a certain movie, pressing again will go to the next movie, etc. It's not perfect but it works.

Has anyone figured out how to be able to select the movie file from the SDcard from the front console.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am so confused. I have a 4GB FAT32 USB drive that works fine in the front USB ports on my 2015 Suburban LTZ. When I plug it into the rear port on the back of the center console where the rear temp controls are it always tells me there is nothing connected to USB. Am I missing something?

If you buy the chromecast device ($35) you can play anything  that can 'Cast" from your android phone including but not limited to Netflix, Google Play movies and youtube.  You plug the chromecast into the HDMI port and the power outlet.  Then you connect your phone and the chromecast to the onstar wifi and then you are good to go.  Then if your kid knows how to use youtube or netflix they can choose what they want to watch by using your phone as the "remote".  Set up was very self explanatory and it basically walks you through the process.  Your truck will need to be running to use the 110v outlet.  Roadtrips have never been so amazing and quiet!!  Not sure if it uses your phones data or the trucks data.  I will post if I figure that out.  #merica

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

To video format transfer, I'm used to convert M4V videos with M4V Converter for Mac. It is designed for all iTunes fans. If you have purchased movies/TV shows from iTunes store, you may have known all iTunes videos are combined with fairplay DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. There is no right for you to re-encode or share it to other devices, even you have paid for it. Now with using DRM removal program, you can remove DRM from iTunes and convert videos from M4V to MP4, MPG, MOV, FLV, AVI, MP3, M4V, etc without hampering the quality with all audio tracks, subtitles at 30x faster speed. After conversion, it will be much convenient for you to enjoy all these videos on any devices freely. 

• 10 months later...

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I've been googling for information about exactly what type of video files I'm able to play in my Tahoe. The details in the first post of this thread is the most complete explanation I've found so far.

Does anyone know if all that info (resolution, bitrate, file container, codecs, etc.) still applies to 2018 models?

• 8 months later...
On 1/4/2016 at 10:47 AM, leecoursey said:
Hello everyone. I had such a hard time finding this info that I though I would make an account and share with you all. This is true for my 2016 Yukon Denali, so I assume it's the same for similar models.

Here is the formats in order to use the Rear Seat Entertainment: Movie System Information

Caution for Using Movie Files

. Available resolution: Within 720 x 576 (W x H) pixels.

Here is an Adobe Media Encoder preset I made for this. https://www.dropbox.com/s/n75mywpcck0ezsi/GMC intellilink.epr?dl=0

Edited by Avguy89