Thoughts on moving to a 2500

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it! My next truck will be a 2500. I've got a pop-up toy hauler, and it was all my 1500 wanted when we loaded up and headed to Colorado this past summer. My dad has driven 2500HD gassers for the past 6 years or so. His current 2015i 2500HD only gets about 2 mpg less than my truck, and it's a LOT more vehicle than mine. If they're giving you what you paid for your truck, while also coming down from the MSRP, then it's a no brainer!

I am going to be the nay sayer here and say WHY? The 5.3 Direct Injected engine has very simlar power charts as compared to the 6.0 in the 2500. You have over 300 ft lb of trque from 1200 rpm up with the 5.3. On the road NOT towing the 5.3 will get better mpg.... The 2500 has 4.10 axle with the 6.0 gas engine but a heavier truck. If you feel the 1500 is overmatched with the trailer- OK I understand. If it handles it OK then why make the change.....

I am going to be the nay sayer here and say WHY? The 5.3 Direct Injected engine has very simlar power charts as compared to the 6.0 in the 2500. You have over 300 ft lb of trque from 1200 rpm up with the 5.3. On the road NOT towing the 5.3 will get better mpg.... The 2500 has 4.10 axle with the 6.0 gas engine but a heavier truck. If you feel the 1500 is overmatched with the trailer- OK I understand. If it handles it OK then why make the change.....

Believe me, I've wrestled with this for some time now and still am!! But I want some additional towing ease and I'm planning on a larger trailer in the future.

Plus I read WAY TOO MUCH on the Internet and everyone says I need one :)

Just go with whatever meets your needs and you can rest well at night owning. There is no one size fits all solution. I had various reasons for ditching my 1500 and going with a 2500. There are some aspects to the 1500 I liked, but the 2500 won out for my needs.

Just go with whatever meets your needs and you can rest well at night owning. There is no one size fits all solution. I had various reasons for ditching my 1500 and going with a 2500. There are some aspects to the 1500 I liked, but the 2500 won out for my needs.

I LOVE my Sierra. The motor is fine for towing. But I can gain a little extra comfort from a 2500.

Payload. Gets used up in a hurry on a half ton

I haven't towed anywhere close to max capacity, but when factoring in tongue weight and the contents of the bed and the cab, I've used more payload than the half ton offers. Most half tons can lug the 10,000 pound trailer, but they'll break payload with a trailer and a few passengers. The aluminum F150 is starting to break from this trend, but its payload is still not at HD truck levels. I've only towed around 8000 pounds, but each time I've had a bed filled with heavy gear and multiple passengers on board. The 6.0 4.10 never had an issue. Many folks think powertrain is the most important aspect of towing, but suspension, brakes, weight, and overall composure of the tow vehicle are more important.

I also prefer the feel of the 2500 to the 1500. As nice as the 1500s were (and at the same price point, they were more luxuriously appointed), they just didn't feel as truck-like as the 2500s. The 1500 reminded me of a modern car-based crossover SUV with a really good engine. The 2500 feels like a truck, but not in a way that's punishing (though this is subjective - recommend a test drive).

Agreed. And I think that numbers on glossy spec sheets can fool some folks. They are so concerned with the motor ratings that they overlook the other equally important vehicle ratings. And the marketing folks are no help. They advertise how such and such 1/2 ton has all this great HP and best in class towing, but they forget to emphasize that while doing that, there might actually be people and gear in the pickup also. And it can easily take a 1/2 ton over it's payload capacity before getting near it's towing capacity. But marketing folks are what they are and have their motivations and the buyer of anything still needs to read the fine print. And just a look at the difference in brakes on a 2500 vs a 1500 should give the buyer an idea that there is a difference. I have gotten chapped by some that say I didn't need a 2500 because I am not towing heavy. And I don't. I rarely tow at all. But I haul, and many times when I haul, I haul considerably more than any 1500 is going to do safely and not look like Godzilla stepped on the back of the bed. In my experience, if one puts 300-500 lb in the back of a 1/2 ton, you already are getting some squat. With a 3/4 ton, I barely notice a change in bed height till after going over 1000 lb.

A look at The Fast Lane Truck towing test on the Silverado 2500 6.0 should give a great idea of this. They maxed out the trailer tow rating, and at the same time, they put 3 adults in the crew cab and thru a water tote in the back and added water till they got to max vehicle payload with the trailer hooked up. No weight distribution hitch. Can't even tell, from looking, that the 2500 is even at near it's rated capacity. Totally different critter than the 1500.

Agreed. And I think that numbers on glossy spec sheets can fool some folks. They are so concerned with the motor ratings that they overlook the other equally important vehicle ratings. And the marketing folks are no help. They advertise how such and such 1/2 ton has all this great HP and best in class towing, but they forget to emphasize that while doing that, there might actually be people and gear in the pickup also. And it can easily take a 1/2 ton over it's payload capacity before getting near it's towing capacity. But marketing folks are what they are and have their motivations and the buyer of anything still needs to read the fine print. And just a look at the difference in brakes on a 2500 vs a 1500 should give the buyer an idea that there is a difference. I have gotten chapped by some that say I didn't need a 2500 because I am not towing heavy. And I don't. I rarely tow at all. But I haul, and many times when I haul, I haul considerably more than any 1500 is going to do safely and not look like Godzilla stepped on the back of the bed. In my experience, if one puts 300-500 lb in the back of a 1/2 ton, you already are getting some squat. With a 3/4 ton, I barely notice a change in bed height till after going over 1000 lb.

A look at The Fast Lane Truck towing test on the Silverado 2500 6.0 should give a great idea of this. They maxed out the trailer tow rating, and at the same time, they put 3 adults in the crew cab and thru a water tote in the back and added water till they got to max vehicle payload with the trailer hooked up. No weight distribution hitch. Can't even tell, from looking, that the 2500 is even at near it's rated capacity. Totally different critter than the 1500.

This. All of this. I knew I made the correct decision when I hooked up my current travel trailer, which weighs in at about 4500 lbs., and it didn't even budge the rear without WD.

I haven't towed anywhere close to max capacity, but when factoring in tongue weight and the contents of the bed and the cab, I've used more payload than the half ton offers. Most half tons can lug the 10,000 pound trailer, but they'll break payload with a trailer and a few passengers. The aluminum F150 is starting to break from this trend, but its payload is still not at HD truck levels. I've only towed around 8000 pounds, but each time I've had a bed filled with heavy gear and multiple passengers on board. The 6.0 4.10 never had an issue. Many folks think powertrain is the most important aspect of towing, but suspension, brakes, weight, and overall composure of the tow vehicle are more important.

I also prefer the feel of the 2500 to the 1500. As nice as the 1500s were (and at the same price point, they were more luxuriously appointed), they just didn't feel as truck-like as the 2500s. The 1500 reminded me of a modern car-based crossover SUV with a really good engine. The 2500 feels like a truck, but not in a way that's punishing (though this is subjective - recommend a test drive).

This has been a huge frustration for me. So many from every angle emphasize tow capacity, when that is really a very small component of towing, particularly as it pertains to RV towing. Truck dealers will focus on towing capacity to sell the truck, and honestly, I don't think 9 out of 10 salesmen even know what payload is! RV dealers will tell you "oh yeah, you're fine to tow this travel trailer" to sell you the camper, and I'm not even sure THEY know anything about payload. Or at least they refuse to acknowledge it. Everything I know about towing, tow capacity, payload, etc., has come from learning on forums. It wasn't until I started looking at a bigger camper that I realized I would be over my payload in the truck that I bought specifically to tow that camper. I shake my head at it every day.

This has been a huge frustration for me. So many from every angle emphasize tow capacity, when that is really a very small component of towing, particularly as it pertains to RV towing. Truck dealers will focus on towing capacity to sell the truck, and honestly, I don't think 9 out of 10 salesmen even know what payload is! RV dealers will tell you "oh yeah, you're fine to tow this travel trailer" to sell you the camper, and I'm not even sure THEY know anything about payload. Or at least they refuse to acknowledge it. Everything I know about towing, tow capacity, payload, etc., has come from learning on forums. It wasn't until I started looking at a bigger camper that I realized I would be over my payload in the truck that I bought specifically to tow that camper. I shake my head at it every day.

It's very frustrating!! And it's even more frustrating because pulling a camper/travel trailer is WAY different than towing a boat or smaller style trailer of equal weight.

Then add in the more you read and review other websites, including RV websites, the more you learn your towing experience could be better.

If it wasn't for the internet, I would be just fine as I wouldn't know any better and think that that's just the way it's supposed to be :)

And then add in the waiting game dealers make you play... I've been working with 3 dealers since Thursday afternoon and can't seem to get any of them to commit to final figures. They all want to make a sale, but I want to know my price before signing on the line.

So right now I am working on white Silverado LT, a silver Silverado LT (both at similarly equipped), and a Ram with the 6.4 Hemi is still in the running. I know, I know, it's a Ram, but there are some good qualities with it.

Archived