Thoughts on moving to a 2500

So right now I am working on white Silverado LT, a silver Silverado LT (both at similarly equipped), and a Ram with the 6.4 Hemi is still in the running. I know, I know, it's a Ram, but there are some good qualities with it.

Research the 6.4 before signing papers, it likes to go to limp mode when pulling hills. Not trash talking just pointing out.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just traded my 14' 1500 LTZ/Z71 on a 15' 2500 HD High Country. I love it! I'm averaging 11MPG around town, 15MPG highway (empty). I haven't pulled yet, nut from what I'm told it's fairly consistent unlike the spread on the 1500's.

Research the 6.4 before signing papers, it likes to go to limp mode when pulling hills. Not trash talking just pointing out.

Yes, thank you. I've spent some time on the Ram forums and it does happen from time to time in higher temps, in elevations, while towing. And while that's a point to consider, I won't be having those experiences on any kind of regular basis.

Off and on I have been contemplating a move to a CC 2500. So I have been searching the interwebs and found a new 2015 Silvy 2500 LT CC 4WD gasser. It is rather loaded, with no leather.

Now my story. A year ago I bought a 2014 Silvy 1500 only to find it was a little short on payload. So in August I bought a 2015 GMC Max Tow and I LOVE THIS TRUCK! I was fortunate that I basically broke even on that deal.

Now while I love my GMC, I wonder if a little more payload, a little more motor, and a little more braking power isn't the right move. Currently I tow a 27' Jayco TT and it weighs around 5,000 pounds. And I carry 6 total occupants when camping. I am well within my limits of the max tow but I wonder about a future TT and there will be one, just not sure when. Most of my camping is local (within 100 miles) in the flat terrain of WI. However we are going to Yellowstone this summer.

This 2015 Silvy 2500 is being offered at $42,600 and they are offering me what I paid on my GMC. So another potential deal with no loss.

So my question is this, is it worth it?

I went down the same route. Bought a 2015 1 ton to replace a '14 1500. The difference is night and day, especially in braking power. I used to constantly run into high transmission temperatures, and long grades (not a problem in WI) would make the truck smell like it was burning up. The HD simply yawns. The 3500 pulls a 7,000lb TT better WITHOUT WD bars installed than the 1500 did with a full WD/antisway setup installed.

I can also pull in to the local aggregate yard and get 2 tons of rock in the bed without even thinking about it. Not going to happen with a half ton. :-)

The only downsides: rougher ride and way worse gas mileage.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Well I was seriously contemplating a switch to the dark side for a few reasons (it was a better color, less $, but lacking a few options) and then at the last second, I found a new '16 2500 on the deep ocean blue Z71 and fell in love (damn emotions!). Keeping my fingers crossed I can make this happen.

To the OP I have said this before and will always give this advise, "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!" It is real easy to overload, overwork 1/2 ton truck but when you start with a 3/4 ton you see you are getting in a bad way and can stop before it is to bad. :jester:

I had a 2500 2014 Duramax for 2 years and loved it. I hauled with it 5 days a week and loads actually improved ride. Handling was very good. Miss it sometimes but I changed jobs and wanted a shorter bed and softer ride. Take my advice, after years of questioning the move, if you have the question on tour mind then you likely should swap.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The color is what did me in!! Love it!!

I was originally looking at '15s. Found a Tungsten one at a larger dealership in Milwaukee, but they were such a pain to deal with and couldn't get final details from them. Then found a blue Ram and a white Silvy at local dealerships. The white one was nice, just not my color.

Was literally making a deal on the blue Ram and then did one more search (I had literally done dozens and dozens of web searches) and found this sweet blue '16, bit the bullet one more time and made it happen!

2016 LT All Star Package crew cab, 6.0L. The only thing it's missing is leather and tow mirrors. And why GM doesn't put tow mirrors on all HD trucks is beyond me!!!

Pretty sure it'll be worth it over the Ram....

Looks real sharp you will like it especially when you start loading it up. I like your mirrors. LOL I dont tow tall or wide stuff so they work for some of us.

Thanks!

I tow a camper so the those mirrors would be helpful. Guess I'll have to use those cheap extension-style mirrors. I've used them before, they work ok.

Thanks!

I tow a camper so the those mirrors would be helpful. Guess I'll have to use those cheap extension-style mirrors. I've used them before, they work ok.

You should be able to retro the camper mirrors- They are on Ebay......simple installation.

Archived