Thoughts on moving to a 2500

Thanks!

I tow a camper so the those mirrors would be helpful. Guess I'll have to use those cheap extension-style mirrors. I've used them before, they work ok.

You can also add the tow mirrors thru the dealer/GM accessories.

Congrats on the truck and you picked a great colour.

When you get to Yellowstone area you'll be glad you have the heavier frame and brakes, as well as the 2500 gearing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can also add the tow mirrors thru the dealer/GM accessories.

Congrats on the truck and you picked a great colour.

When you get to Yellowstone area you'll be glad you have the heavier frame and brakes, as well as the 2500 gearing.

Thanks! I can't wait to hook it up to the camper and go!

Thanks for the link. But dang, and nearly $1,000 for the mirrors and wiring, I'll have to really think about that.

Thanks for the link. But dang, and nearly $1,000 for the mirrors and wiring, I'll have to really think about that.

Having towed a trailer with and without them - they are worth every penny.

Enjoy your new truck!

Enjoy your new truck!

I've towed with them and without them. Yes, definitely better with them. But not sure they are $1k better.

Enjoy your new truck!

Agreed. My 2004 came with the accordion style mirrors and I hated them. I installed the vertical style and will never have a truck without them.

You can get the retro kit for a lot less than $1k. I've got a set of the older style tow mirrors on my 2015 I'm going to be selling at some point in the near future as I plan to order this kit.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/23372181

Suppose if you have the power fold than you'll be pushing the $1k mark. If my truck didn't already have the older style camper mirrors I wouldn't blink at spending whatever it took to get them.

For reference, tow mirrors can be added as a separate option on a 2500 for about $350.

(as opposed to only being available as part of Max Tow (NHT) on a 1500)

On the HD forums it's not that uncommon for new owners to talk about removing the trailer mirrors in favour of standard mirrors. If you can find a set they will probably be a lot cheaper than new ones thru gm accessories.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=331561010645&alt=web

These will fit right on. You do have to drill out the fourth hole. But it is marked. Please do not go towing your camper without them. I tried a short trip with my 27' TT with the small mirrors. You cannot see anything around or behind you. You will be guessing when changing lanes. Forget about backing up. It's just down right dangerous. I couldn't justify the expense of the gm mirrors either. So I went with a set similar to these. Plug right in and work properly.

Yeah I know what you're talking about. I've towed my TT with the small mirrors, the small mirrors with clamp-on extensions, and the full towing mirrors. The full towing are clearly the best, and the clamp ones work OK. I'm sure I'll be adding the full camping mirrors sons enough.

Congrats on the 2500. You will not regret the upgrade. I highly recommend the tow mirrors. When I searched for my 2500 the mirrors where above color on my want list

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Funny, my color choice was above my mirror choice simply because I knew they could be added. The dealership had a similarly equipped 2015 HD with the tow mirrors, but I just could not see myself liking the color long term. I absolutely love this blue! And love the truck!

I will deal with the clamp-on mirrors this spring and decide before I leave our big trip mid-summer what to do.

Congrats on the new truck. Funny how different tastes can be, I ran from the blue to one in white. The tow mirrors are a must in my opinion, I drove an 06 dually with the tow mirrors and could back in any spot that I had a few inches to spare. The new truck is not so easy. The 06 was the old style classic, I loved the shape of that truck. Anyway, I have been looking at the ebay tow mirrors along with others. The ebay ones I ordered were not of good quality and I sent them back imediately. I am looking at the Fit System mirrors now, they are made by K source. I need a few different harnesses to make the stock ones work in my truck but yours is probably already wired for the tow mirrors being a 16. I will still need them even for the K source for the turn signals to work but will be happy to just get the mirrors to work with the power adjust and heat. I only tow a few times a year but the mirrors are invaluable to me in reverse.

Archived