CarPlay Audio Issues in 2016 Silverado

I don't know how many 2016 trucks are out there, but I was curious if anyone else was having issues with choppy audio playback from Apple Carplay. If I have my iPhone plugged in via Lightning cable, the audio playback is extremely choppy, and it doesn't get any better with time. Also, the CarPlay apps will take several seconds to respond to any touch, which effectively renders the feature unusable. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I know the feature is brand new with the MyLink system, but I'm surprised at just how buggy it is. It's not a huge bugaboo for me, as the Bluetooth works fine, so I figured if I get nothing here, I'll bring it up at my first oil change.

-I have the 40/20/40 bench, and I am utilizing the USB port in the flipdown console

-Pandora plays just fine when connected through the same Lightning cable in the same port

-Have tried multiple Apple and other certified Lightning cables

-Currently running iOS 9.2 on my iPhone 5s

-Have cleaned my Lightning port on the phone to no avail

-Have 2.2GB free memory on the phone

-The music I am attempting to play is stored on the phone

I have yet to try another phone, but if anyone has any other ideas or similar experiences, I would appreciate the input.

Thank you.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had some issues with mine when I first got it. I noticed the lightning cable had a kink in it. I swapped in a new cable and have not had any issues since.

Do you have siri turned off?

I did try that. Also tried doing a network settings reset on my phone. I don't really want to reset the whole phone, as that's more of a hassle than I'm willing to embark on for something that I believe has a pretty small chance of working.

I mean, there's four things that this can be:

1.) A connection issue between my center console USB port and the head unit.

2.) a software issue with iOS 9.2.

3.) a software issue with MyLink.

4.) a hardware issue with my 5s.

1.) Not something I can test for, but dealer techs have a test cable for connection issues similar to this.

2/4.) I need to borrow a friend's phone to verify its a software hardware issue.

3.) Sounds like GM has something in the works, but you know they never give hard dates for software availability.

My best bet at this point is to get ahold of another iPhone with iOS 9.2. Should be able to test that theory tomorrow. I'll update with what I find with the swapnostics.

I don't know how many 2016 trucks are out there, but I was curious if anyone else was having issues with choppy audio playback from Apple Carplay. If I have my iPhone plugged in via Lightning cable, the audio playback is extremely choppy, and it doesn't get any better with time. Also, the CarPlay apps will take several seconds to respond to any touch, which effectively renders the feature unusable. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I know the feature is brand new with the MyLink system, but I'm surprised at just how buggy it is. It's not a huge bugaboo for me, as the Bluetooth works fine, so I figured if I get nothing here, I'll bring it up at my first oil change.
-I have the 40/20/40 bench, and I am utilizing the USB port in the flipdown console
-Pandora plays just fine when connected through the same Lightning cable in the same port
-Have tried multiple Apple and other certified Lightning cables
-Currently running iOS 9.2 on my iPhone 5s
-Have cleaned my Lightning port on the phone to no avail
-Have 2.2GB free memory on the phone
-The music I am attempting to play is stored on the phone
I have yet to try another phone, but if anyone has any other ideas or similar experiences, I would appreciate the input.
Thank you.

I've had the same issues using the USB port. It lags when I change the song and the audio is very crackled. Has yours gotten any better?

Mine works fine when I use it on my 16. I have to be honest and state that I haven't used it more than 3 times, but haven't noticed any problems. Sorry to hear that for you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Can you just take your truck into the dealer to get the carplay update? I have a 2015 and would love to have this

Sorry, but no.

Several threads about this.

(edit: Technically, I guess you can get an update, but it's expensive because it will come wrapped in a vehicle that also has updated headlights, an HD radio etc)

• 3 weeks later...

You shouldn't be using the USB in the armrest on a 40/20/40 seat for carplay... you should be using the white plug in your upper glovebox

Wow, nailed it. I didn't even know there was a USB port in my glove box. Everything works flawlessly if I have my phone plugged into the glovebox USB. It doesn't make any sense to me why I wouldn't be able to use my center console USB, though. I'm still going to complain about it when I bring it into the dealership.

The whole point of carplay is to get your iphone out of reach and not be a distraction... that's why it's in the glovebox. In theory, they figure people will put their iphone in the glovebox. Me, I just use a longer cord and route it out where the glovebox handle is and let it sit on my center armrest or in a cupholder

Archived