CarPlay Audio Issues in 2016 Silverado

I just purchased a 2016 Silverado Z-71. The build sheet states I received a $200.00 credit for CarPlay as the truck does not have it. That being said, once the issues with CarPlay are resolved, will they install it for $200.00 as that is all they claim it's worth by only giving me $200.00. That was one of the major features I wanted as I am grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan which would allow me to stream all the music I want for free along with use of the Apple maps app on my phone so I would not need onStar.

No. If you received the credit, your truck has the IO5 hardware (essentially 2015 hardware), which means it cannot support CarPlay/Android Auto. Check the list of codes in your glove box to confirm you have IO5 and not IO6.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The build date is listed on the silver/gray sticker on the bottom of the pillar between the front door and rear door. Look on the bottom right of the door opening about floor level. It's month/year in the top right corner of the sticker.

Check Pillar by drivers door, only tire pressure sticker and a warning about mercury being used. No date or date code. Looks as if I may need to get the vin run.

I'll do that. Thanks

No. If you received the credit, your truck has the IO5 hardware (essentially 2015 hardware), which means it cannot support CarPlay/Android Auto. Check the list of codes in your glove box to confirm you have IO5 and not IO6.

The build date is listed on the silver/gray sticker on the bottom of the pillar between the front door and rear door. Look on the bottom right of the door opening about floor level. It's month/year in the top right corner of the sticker.

Found it, Thanks. This old man just did not bend over far enough to see it. 7/16 is the date, therefore no CarPlay love here. :throwup:

I just purchased a 2016 Silverado Z-71. The build sheet states I received a $200.00 credit for CarPlay as the truck does not have it. That being said, once the issues with CarPlay are resolved, will they install it for $200.00 as that is all they claim it's worth by only giving me $200.00. That was one of the major features I wanted as I am grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan which would allow me to stream all the music I want for free along with use of the Apple maps app on my phone so I would not need onStar.

No, because the hardware being used won't work with it. Same reason they can't be added to 14/15's without changing to aftermarket hardware like MVI. (and that would be a lot more than $200)

If you get the Nav, with the IO6 it will still have AA/Carplay capability -- the temporary credit and drop of AA/Carplay was only for the IO5 (8", but not navi) unit.

I don't think you're missing that much - at least not with the current apps that are in Carplay. To me, there are three advantages from the '15 unit to the '16 unit with Carplay. (My wife has a '15 Yukon with no Carplay)

1. The screen is more responsive and quicker

2. If you like Apple Maps (I think I'm the only person who does), then Carplay is useful. I travel with Apple Maps on all the time, and the traffic being shown on the map is something I really like. I have a dozen different ways I can get home at night, so seeing where the traffic is helps.

3. The weather app is redesigned for the '16 - if you want to pay for that, it's nicer.

The one big drawback on the '16 is that you can't pause and rewind live radio/SiriusXM.

I wouldn't pay extra for Carplay yet, though. It's still too buggy and there are not enough apps available for it. Music, phone, text and Apply Maps (no other navigation apps show up on the Carplay screen). That's it. And the music, phone and text functions already work on GM's headunits almost just as well without Carplay. And it's gets frustrating - when I am on back-to-back calls, the second won't go through the audio system sometimes. You try to answer the second call, and you can't hear anything. The music does the same thing sometimes. It's drop and refresh frequently. Just not ready for primetime. Android Auto may be better.

I agree Carplay is not that big of a deal. I upgraded my '15 with the '16 OEM parts from MVI. I think I actually prefer the GM infotainment setup to it. I find Carplay too restrictive. The big advantage is the map feature. "Hey Siri" is cool, but that also works with the '15 radios.

From the '15, I miss the pause/rewind feature more than I thought I would, and I really miss the SD card slot.

Now if you have an Android, the Google maps are awesome. I think I'm going to switch to an Android and see how I like it.

If you look at the distribution updates, it shows that CarPlay was removed from IO6, which is the nav system? Can anyone confirm this?

My truck with nav was made in March 16 it has ACP. The op has a truck made in July 16 I don't know if it's nav or not and he does not have it?

Ive got a 16 cc ltz, which usb port is the fast ones? The two in my console compartment, or the two up by the 120vac plug at the front of the center section?

I work at a dealership and this connectivity with the usb ports is rearing its ugly head even on my personal truck,

I use apple car play fastidiously - I have the most updated iphone 6s+

On longer drives - often after an hour or so the armrest usb ports will stop being able to transmit data and phone will come off car play.

When these go out - so does the glove box usb as far as connectivity. Sometimes they will charge the phone at least - sometimes not.

Im having the guys look at it monday.

My truck is at the dealer today for the enironmental protection application and had the wofe mention the android auto issues, hopefully they resolve it! I will report back.

So I have a question for you guys experiencing the USB issues. My '16 Silverado has the center console so I do not have a USB port in the glovebox. At times while playing music on the USB from either the console or inside the storage area it gets really garbled, speeds up and really can't be used at all, then I lose Bluetooth connection to play from my iPhone and other quirky things. Any ideas or tips? It is CarPlay IO6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived