New 2016 1500 All-Terrain Premium

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why waste your money on premium when the 5.3 doesn't require/benefit from it?

Have read that the 5.3 with direct injection, variable timing and higher than average compression can benefit from more than 87 octane. I run 89 in mine. What ever, gas is cheap right now and my last ride, a 2012 CTS-V required premium and got 13 mpg at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Give it some time.. Fuel enrichment and longer warm up times during the cold season (unless you just hop in it and go), winter grade fuel, and it being new all can have negative effect on fuel. Complaining of 15mpg in a truck is a new thing now it seems. Yes, we are spoiled already. My 6.2 averages 16-17 in town and my face starts twisting when I see 15. lol BUT, I don't start complaining as I have the best truck on the planet!! People tend to forget that trucks were notorious for 10-12 mpg or worse. Some out there still are gas guzzlers even at this day n age. Don't start frettin over small stuff. You'll get cozy with driving and the throttle and then eventually the mpg will come back up as well! Enjoy that sweet ride man!!

you live in NJ? Go to Tune Time performance and get a custom dyno tune your truck will be night and day better from a performance standpoint, shifts will be crisper, firmer, and you'll pick up power all over the place. No more pulled timing, and you'll get better gas mileage as well. The winter usually amounts to 1-2 mpg loss anyhow - crappy gas, and I'm sure you're letting the truck warm up 5-10mins w/ remote start right? All factors.

Is your truck E85 capable? If so you'll notice an even bigger jump in performance running ethanol + tune

Good luck!

OP I understand your frustrations on multiple levels. First NJ, absolute disgrace with the winter fuel mix, which indeed causes a loss of mpg. Secondly, this is also my first NEW truck and expected more from the factory performance. Lastly, I knew I wouldn't leave the truck stock so none of the above didn't matter. Lol. I have the 5.3 6 speed 3.42 gears with a tune by Diablew. My first request from Lew was to diable the V4 mode and I left the rest up to him after informing him of my driving habits. After the tune it's like night and day from stock tune to custom tune. A few other add ons, mostly cosmetic, however I do have the truck leveled. As far as mpg pre winter gas 19, currently 18+ or -.2. The journey begins my friend. Cheers

Thank you, and I am already getting anxious to do some enhancements. I am die hard speed freak, and oddly this truck has excited me more than most cars I have had. I am curious about tunes as well, however not until I give the truck some time to grow into itself.

My truck gained about 2 mpg running ethonal free gas, 91 octane, but with the cost of it it was a wash

I dont believe I have access to ethanol free here in New Jersey

Give it some time.. Fuel enrichment and longer warm up times during the cold season (unless you just hop in it and go), winter grade fuel, and it being new all can have negative effect on fuel. Complaining of 15mpg in a truck is a new thing now it seems. Yes, we are spoiled already. My 6.2 averages 16-17 in town and my face starts twisting when I see 15. lol BUT, I don't start complaining as I have the best truck on the planet!! People tend to forget that trucks were notorious for 10-12 mpg or worse. Some out there still are gas guzzlers even at this day n age. Don't start frettin over small stuff. You'll get cozy with driving and the throttle and then eventually the mpg will come back up as well! Enjoy that sweet ride man!!

I know, I actually figured I would get slammed for talking fuel economy on a truck forum, but you guys spared me. I allow the truck to warm up for about 5 minutes everytime I drive it, and I drive mostly highway. I always drive it conservatively and I do believe the truck will begin to sort itself out. I just really hope I can reach manufactured estimates when it gets broken in.

you live in NJ? Go to Tune Time performance and get a custom dyno tune your truck will be night and day better from a performance standpoint, shifts will be crisper, firmer, and you'll pick up power all over the place. No more pulled timing, and you'll get better gas mileage as well. The winter usually amounts to 1-2 mpg loss anyhow - crappy gas, and I'm sure you're letting the truck warm up 5-10mins w/ remote start right? All factors.

Is your truck E85 capable? If so you'll notice an even bigger jump in performance running ethanol + tune

Good luck!

I am certainly going to look into that later on. Performance as far as speed and power are not really a concern of mine, rather fuel economy and more accurate shifting. As strange as this may sound, I would even prefer longer V4 times, as most of my driving is highway cruise control

I am certainly going to look into that later on. Performance as far as speed and power are not really a concern of mine, rather fuel economy and more accurate shifting. As strange as this may sound, I would even prefer longer V4 times, as most of my driving is highway cruise control

I hear ya, but I think you'd find when it comes to overall MPG a custom tuned truck running 93 and AFM disable (no V4) > than stock truck w/ AFM on running 87

I know, I actually figured I would get slammed for talking fuel economy on a truck forum, but you guys spared me. I allow the truck to warm up for about 5 minutes everytime I drive it, and I drive mostly highway. I always drive it conservatively and I do believe the truck will begin to sort itself out. I just really hope I can reach manufactured estimates when it gets broken in.

No worries, your not the first. And I get new owner and expectations and so forth. And btw, mine usually does better than it's factory rating.. Once you get to learn the vehicle and the way it performs you can use that to your advantage to achieve good results in the mpg. Get to know the vehicle and it's capabilities. And read the owners manual! Lots of info in there.. can't stress that enough. Have fun!

I hadn't noticed this before. Is this some sort of a bust? I mean scoop? Is it functional?

Yeah, it is not functional, however I cant imagine how much it would do considering there is already a huge grille under it. I actually really like it as a styling improvement, as it further dramatizes the body lines on the hood. I also really like the contrast of color and tone against the body color, like the wheel arches and lower bumper. Gives it a more tactical look

post-152864-0-93358500-1452976221_thumb.jpg

I will however, be purchasing body color door handles, and considering doing something with the chrome side and window trim. Not sure about that yet. I am not a fan of tonneau covers, so I just received a Gladiator cargo net. It makes items a little harder to see in the bed and prevents things from blowing away in the bed. Now I am looking for a storage system that I can use on a day to day basis rather than throwing everything in the back seat. I want to be able to throw a few rifle bags in it and lock it. As unconventional as it may sound, I am considering making a mounting system for a Pelican case

If you want to see performance gains, run ethanol. Less mpg's but higher hp. Higher octane with 10% ethanol as most of us have shouldn't show any gains on stock tune.

The 2016 5.3/8 speed isn't available as flexfuel, so it would require a little 'aftermarket' help.

(the 2016 5.3/6 speed is still available with the flexfuel option)

Archived