Tuner for 2015 Silverado 2500 6.0L

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering the same thing. After having my new truck for two weeks now, it would be nice to get rid of those lazy transmission shifts.

I have a Diablo In-Tune leftover from my 5.3 but haven't found much information on if it helps the 6.0. I really liked it on the 5.3.

I am the weirdo in the corn patch. I just have never had any desire to change the tune on my 2015 2500 6.0L. I am not a lead foot and trying to use stop lights as NHRA starting lights and racing from one to another. I haul more than I tow, and I generally tow light. The stock stuff seems to do just fine for all my driving needs and off road demands. I guess it is how someone likes to drive and what they are intending to get out of a tune. Not against any tune, as I love them for diesels, but that is primarily for shutting down EGR.

I am the weirdo in the corn patch. I just have never had any desire to change the tune on my 2015 2500 6.0L. I am not a lead foot and trying to use stop lights as NHRA starting lights and racing from one to another. I haul more than I tow, and I generally tow light. The stock stuff seems to do just fine for all my driving needs and off road demands. I guess it is how someone likes to drive and what they are intending to get out of a tune. Not against any tune, as I love them for diesels, but that is primarily for shutting down EGR.

Certainly the 6.0 is going to win any races, so a tune isn't really designed to run the tree at the strip, but rather to help the lazy transmission shifts and increase the throttle response. And if you're lucky, add some HP and torque.

And that could well be true. I guess if one perceives there is a problem that a tune would cure, then go for it. I haven't experienced any issue that would motivate me to change a thing on my 2015 6.0. Again, I think it is a matter of driving style more than mechanical ineptness. I have tried tunes in the past with other gas vehicles that modified things as you suggest and not noticed one bit of difference that even made the expenditure remotely worth it... general driving, towing, hauling, etc. The only "tune" I have ever thought was worth it was disabling EGR on several diesels. No parts removal, just shut it off in the ECM. Didn't even change one other power parameter. Now those did experience an appreciable benefit from doing that.

I had a bulldog gt gas tuner on my 2011 and didn't do a thing for gas mileage and it's the same motor as my 2015 and I did the air intake too and exhaust and I didn't notice a difference. The only thing the programmer did was made it rev 6200 rams instead of 5800 that helped when I was truck pulling it and I was beating big blocks lol. But gm is the only truck at the pulls that would take a shift in a pull and didn't fall on its face at all.

• 1 month later...

I had black bear tune my 2007 classic.I loved it. I gained 2-3mpg and the throttle response was night and day. I had people that also thought it was a waste of money until I had them drive it. They were impressed. I am not out to win races but drive ability and shifting was worth it. It would stay in gear a lot longer when pulling up hills ( less shifting) Now I am debating doing my 2015.5. I just dont have many miles on it and am debating because of warranty. I dont know if somthing happend if they would blame me since they can tell if its been flashed Im told.

• 2 weeks later...

Staying in gear longer on pulls... isn't that mitigated by running in manual mode and selecting based on pull and RPM's? I almost always run in manual mode in my rural neck of the woods to prevent gear hunting and constant shifting on all the hilly, curvy two lanes and gravel roads in my area. The wife does to, as she sees the benefit of running in MM. That kind of fits into my reasoning that I have not seen an appreciable need to tune anything. Of course, everyone's situation is different. I just hate shelling out a bunch of cash for something that has a fairly low chance of a decent return on the investment. And it takes more than "it feels neat" to convince me to do some things. I need to see some appreciable results. I average 14-15 mpg (13-14 winter) on everything now, with 17-18 mpg on road trips with my 2015 6.0L 2500 Z71. I find it hard to swallow I would gain a couple of mpg across the board from a tune. Possible I suppose, but I need firm confirmation it would happen or I don't shell out the money.

Staying in gear longer on pulls... isn't that mitigated by running in manual mode and selecting based on pull and RPM's? I almost always run in manual mode in my rural neck of the woods to prevent gear hunting and constant shifting on all the hilly, curvy two lanes and gravel roads in my area. The wife does to, as she sees the benefit of running in MM. That kind of fits into my reasoning that I have not seen an appreciable need to tune anything. Of course, everyone's situation is different. I just hate shelling out a bunch of cash for something that has a fairly low chance of a decent return on the investment. And it takes more than "it feels neat" to convince me to do some things. I need to see some appreciable results. I average 14-15 mpg (13-14 winter) on everything now, with 17-18 mpg on road trips with my 2015 6.0L 2500 Z71. I find it hard to swallow I would gain a couple of mpg across the board from a tune. Possible I suppose, but I need firm confirmation it would happen or I don't shell out the money.

I would put my money on saying a $600 tuner will pay off in mileage alone over 200,000 miles, the fact that it will clean up shift flares, stumbles, and lousy tuning are just bonuses.

I am not in the tuner business but I have been around them enough to see and feel the difference, a good tune is worth its weight in gold!

Could be. Once I determine I actually need to correct something I'll consider a tune. Just have not come across any need to do it, so don't see need to spend the money on a tune. I understand the Tim Allen mantra of "if it isn't broke, you can probably still fix it". Just not in that camp.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived