Leveling a 2016 2500HD

Hello All,

Brand new to this forum but have a question I really need opinions on...I have ordered a 2016 2509HD and after it arrives I want to level the front end some. My initial thought was to go with some type of front level kit. I called 4wheel parts here in Indy and they said with the new Chevys they have been recommending doing shock extensions and turning the torsion bars rather then doing a level kit. I welcome everyones advice and what is the "best" way to level my 2016 2500hd? I would like to get rid of the nose dive and uktimately be able to fit some 33"s max under the truck. Thanks!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loaded question.

To start with they are correct, turn the bars up and install shock spacers, if you hate the ride then you keep throwing parts at it till you are happy.

Will your truck have the snow plow prep package? They can be cranked super high! The non plow prep truck can get pretty close to level by cranking the bolts all the way in.

I am in North Indy and would be glad to help you out as I have done tons of these trucks, I do NOT mean for money or anything like that, I simply mean I can help you get it cranked up and perfectly leveled and shock spacers added.

Hi all thanks for the responses!! No I will NOT have the snowplow prep package or anything for a snowplow on my truck. Yeah uktimately I would like to find that happy medium of getting a little raise In the front without sacrificing absolutely all of the ride quality. I'm just a bit confused on if I should add some aftermarket shocks as well if I go with 4Wheelpsrts suggestions or if I should just do a full on level kit. Yeah man I live in north Indy (fishers) to and would love any help I could get! Much appreciated.

And I also forgot to mention...I definitely understand the points above regarding the cost effectiveness of the solution but I think I'm also to the point that Id rather spend extra money if it give me better ride quality,less wear, etc. Thanks again

Hi all thanks for the responses!! No I will NOT have the snowplow prep package or anything for a snowplow on my truck. Yeah uktimately I would like to find that happy medium of getting a little raise In the front without sacrificing absolutely all of the ride quality. I'm just a bit confused on if I should add some aftermarket shocks as well if I go with 4Wheelpsrts suggestions or if I should just do a full on level kit. Yeah man I live in north Indy (fishers) to and would love any help I could get! Much appreciated.

You install the leveling kit in stages and only through parts at the truck that are needed. Shock spacers are cheap, leveling it is free. If you don't like the ride then you add upper control arms, if you think the front end is sloppy there are parts to tighten it up as well.

You will not be able to completely get the truck level without having snow plow prep but you will be surprised how much better it will look.

Here is a picture for reference, 285/60/20's with the torsion bars turned all the way up (no plow prep)

IMG_20150909_143618.jpg

If you want it higher it is going to cost some money, if you can live with that height it can all be done for under $200.

The picture of that truck looks great and is exactly what I'm looking for! You mention the bars are turned up to the max In that photo...is that when the shock extensions come into play? Maxing out the torsion bars seems like it would really damage all the ride quality no? Sorry so many questions but this is helping me tremendously. That truck looks spot on what I'm going for.

The picture of that truck looks great and is exactly what I'm looking for! You mention the bars are turned up to the max In that photo...is that when the shock extensions come into play? Maxing out the torsion bars seems like it would really damage all the ride quality no? Sorry so many questions but this is helping me tremendously. That truck looks spot on what I'm going for.

No the non snow plow prep torsion bar bolts are not very long so when you "turn them all the way up" you are only turning 7-9 turns of the bolt which isn't much.

The factory (and aftermarket) shocks max extension is shorter the the frame stops, you do not want to be trying to rip the shocks in half or limiting he down travel so the spacers simply give you that extra inch of down travel to where the frame stops do their job instead of the shocks doing it.

Cranking the 'T' bar keys DO NOT NEED shock extenders on a stock suspension. The 'A' arms will bottom out before the shock does as your not changing suspension travel just how the truck sits. It will bottom out quicker on the down travel on the 'A' arm bump stops because you have limited your down travel by raising the front with the cranked keys.

Cranking the 'T' bar keys DO NOT NEED shock extenders on a stock suspension. The 'A' arms will bottom out before the shock does as your not changing suspension travel just how the truck sits. It will bottom out quicker on the down travel on the 'A' arm bump stops because you have limited your down travel by raising the front with the cranked keys.

No it will not, the shocks are the limiting factor, this has been proven and documented for a long time.

Jack the truck up off the ground, the A-arm will never touch the frame stop, it can't because the shock won't allow it to drop low enough...

Wrong the shocks are not used as a down travel limit the down travel "A" arm stop WILL hit first, if the shocks were used as a stop they would not last long at all. All you have to do is jack the front up with the wheel off the ground disconnect the shock you will find you can still pull the shock down about 1" so the shock is not used as a down travel limit.

Wrong the shocks are not used as a down travel limit the down travel "A" arm stop WILL hit first, if the shocks were used as a stop they would not last long at all. All you have to do is jack the front up with the wheel off the ground disconnect the shock you will find you can still pull the shock down about 1" so the shock is not used as a down travel limit.

Possible you have bad shocks? Even when jacked up off of the ground mine doesn't hit the frame stops; that is with the torsion bars turned up 2". That is why you need shock extenders when doing UCA's, to extend the down travel. Shock extenders with factory shocks and you will hit the frame stops.

Archived