Then it's not a wheel or driveshaft since they turn much faster than once every 7-8 seconds when running 70+ mph.

That's not quite true, vibrations can be felt at periodically slower rates than their source but it takes multiple sources at different frequencies. This vibration is known as a growl or beating. This happens when you have two vibration sources that cancel one another out for part of their period this is the dwell point between feeling the vibrations, If the vibration is in the audible range for the human ear, it makes a growling sound. This could be a first order tire vibration and first order drive line vibration. However at 70 mph I would suspect a much shorter dwell time than 7 seconds. Tire speed at 70 is about 12.3 Hz or rotations per second. This is the frequency you would feel if the tire was simply dynamically out of balance.

Funny you mention rotating tires. My vibration started around 9 k ...... just had tires rotated the first time and the ONLY OTHER THING I DID was throw out the wheel locks.... Now... I don't believe its the rotate. However, could the wheel locks installed by the dealer exaggerate this.....Things that make you go hmm. That being said I have gone over this truck... I will be replacing the shocks with 5100s but the vibration being quelled has me stumped. BTW I have a noticeable bearing whine/hum from my rear at 77 mph exactly. So I know something is out of spec there...

Brian

Same thing happened to another member on here way back in the thread. Tire rotation during routine service and the vibration showed up, put the wheels back where they were before and vibe went away. Perhaps the front end is more forgiving of out of balance tires.

• 1 month later...

Same thing happened to another member on here way back in the thread. Tire rotation during routine service and the vibration showed up, put the wheels back where they were before and vibe went away. Perhaps the front end is more forgiving of out of balance tires.

The Electronic Power steering has software that will compensate for a specific range of out of balance.

• 1 year later...

My 2016 Silverado 1500 has been at the dealership twice for highway speeds vibration.Now the 3rd time now I have a loaner.The dealership called me today and said GM told them to rebalance my driveshaft.Crossing my fingersNot much faith though after researching other stories.

• 5 months later...

My 2016 Silverado 1500 has been at the dealership twice for highway speeds vibration.Now the 3rd time now I have a loaner.The dealership called me today and said GM told them to rebalance my driveshaft.Crossing my fingersNot much faith though after researching other stories.

Old post but curious of rebalancing The drive shaft helped your situation

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

To answer your question,rebalancing my driveshaft made no difference.They claimed to have done some bushing change outs to my rack and pinion of which did minimize the problem.Vibration is still present.

To answer your question,rebalancing my driveshaft made no difference.They claimed to have done some bushing change outs to my rack and pinion of which did minimize the problem.Vibration is still present.

Hmmm, I could swear that my issue is somewhere in the drivetrain. 70-85mph. I've rotated tires rebalanced with no change. In a few weeks I will have the time to take it to the dealer and we will see what happens. I am not too hopeful. I will keep the thread updated With my results.

As you said it has to be in the drivetrain.That is what I was saying since the day I drove it home.Ghost vibration at highway speeds.Did so much research on drive shafts with angles etc. I still think it's to do with the drivetrain. I purchased new wheels and tires.The truck still has slight vibration at highway speeds.Just sickening.

• Like 1

Was wondering if I always have to return to the dealership I purchased my truck? I traveled over an hour away.In regards to this ongoing vibration issue.

I bought my truck in another state and just moved so I will be going to a different dealer. A GMC warranty is good at any GMC dealer. Each dealership gets paid directly from GMC, not at a discounted rate, for warranty work so I do not see why any dealer would turn you down. Also they might want to treat you good so you make next purchase there instead. The dealer you bought it from would like you to think that you have to go back to them so they can make more money off you.

Edited by wildlyfe200

Your vibration problem is transmission related. The torque converter specifically. Bulletin 16-na-175. Request this TSB with your service department if you have an 8 speed transmission.

That is not what I am experiencing. I put my truck in neutral while at 70-85mph, highway speed and the vibration is still present. Also absolutely not RPM fluctuations. I drove on a rumble strip to compare and my vibration is a lot less mabey 12-15hz (cycles per second). Occurs during accelerating, decelerating, and neutral from 70-90mph.

"Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions

A shake or shudder during light throttle acceleration, between 30 and 65 mph steady state driving.

Excessive engine RPM fluctuation that may be described as frequent tachometer needle movement at constant speed when engine speed is below 1600 RPM.

A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.

It is important to note that these conditions:

Do not occur during vehicle launch from a stop.

Do not occur when the transmission is shifting gears.

Do not occur when the vehicle is decelerating.

Do not occur when TCC slip speed is zero. TCC slip speed is zero in gears 2-8 when engine RPM is greater than 1600 RPM."

Edited by wildlyfe200

• 7 months later...