2016 sierra slt wrecked...

yesterday apparently an old lady had a heart attack while driving and barreled into me at an estimated 50mph in my 6 day old truck. Hit me right no the side and threw the truck at least 60 feet. Im a little sore on my shoulder but thats it. Old lady appears to have made it ok after being transported.

Truck had 99 miles on it, and was just washed waxed and detailed. Frame is bent and cab is shifted about an inch and a half. Hoping for a total loss here. What do you guys think. Adjuster coming by later today.
I use this truck to tow a 30 ft boat about 9000 lbs and don't want to be going down the highway at 55 with a bent frame. Any advice??
178B80B1-19EF-4B59-BDF5-761B292865DF_zps
D92565B8-B4EF-4074-95BB-798674B052FB_zps
3E2C46D0-88C5-411D-A48D-B911C1517D7C_zps
C78A770A-03A2-4574-B34C-9E4C2CDA84FE_zps
5FAFAD07-7F82-40E3-9DB1-B6F60192E3AE_zps
4F1B12EE-CBAE-4342-8B62-05E66EE5BE8C_zps
D594B06A-551E-4B7F-8010-0513D620AA15_zps

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's terrible. Glad to hear you and the old lady are okay. Hopefully the adjuster totals the truck because I can only imagine the hit you're going to take on a new truck with diminished value of having an accident against the VIN. If they don't total it ask for compensation against the diminished value.

Glad you are ok!!!

Im no expert but if the frame is bent isnt that automatically a total loss??

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

Not anymore. It all depends on the severity and where it's bent and whether there is any loss of structural integrity. With these trucks being $40-$50k now, it's often cheaper just to replace the frame. Yes that's right they literally dismantle and rebuild the truck on a new frame and it's $10k-$15k but still cheaper than totaling it.

Not sure about the OP because that looks like a lot of damage to a lot of parts so he might be in for a total but it's definitely not automatic. I would fight like hell for a new truck. He is still on his free tank of dealership gas.

That sucks!! It's going to be an expensive fix and you just lost a lot of value. I would want a new since I tow my boat a lot.

We had a similar incident in the plaza my office it at. Old guy passed out and smashed into the front of a building (restaurant with outdoor seating) and thankfully it was not our busy season otherwise it would have been full of people.

Not anymore. It all depends on the severity and where it's bent and whether there is any loss of structural integrity. With these trucks being $40-$50k now, it's often cheaper just to replace the frame. Yes that's right they literally dismantle and rebuild the truck on a new frame and it's $10k-$15k but still cheaper than totaling it.

Not sure about the OP because that looks like a lot of damage to a lot of parts so he might be in for a total but it's definitely not automatic. I would fight like hell for a new truck. He is still on his free tank of dealership gas.

Thanks for the info...

Idk that looks like a lot of damage to the cabeven shifted it over a good bit.

I would push for a total loss and a replacement.... Imagine the resale on a truck with that amount of damage on its VIN?? WOW

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

glad everyone is ok. Coming from an insurance background, As for a t/loss. Hard to tell from pictures its going to depend on how bad the frame is damaged. With the high value of these trucks they are hard to total, however it also depends on the salvage value, which also should be high.

I think it depends if the frame needs to be replaced or not to determine if a t/loss. Depends on the state you live in if DOV comes into play.

Hope all works out ok.

Archived