Towing a Toy Hauler with 5.3L

I was looking at purchasing a toy hauler. Wondering about what size and weight i can get for my truck

I own the Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 Midnight Edition 5.3L V8

If I'm not mistaken i have a towing limit of 9200 lbs. I was looking at trailers around the 6-8500 pound range dry weight.

crew cab, short box, 4wd, rear axle 3.42 ratio

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11200 is probably with a max tow package. Yours will most likely be in the 9200lb range.

Should post up the trucks configuration including cab, bed, 4wd/2wd and gear ratio.

crew cab, short box, 4wd, rear axle 3.42 ratio

That's going to be asking a whole lot of that truck if you're going to be towing long distance with it. I have the same exact configuration as your truck now, and pulling a 9000lb trailer I have takes all it's got. The engine pulls way more revs than I feel comfortable with. The 6.2l I have ordered should change that.

It's not just the weight. It's also the frontal area.

If you are going to the top of the rated range, the type of terrain it will be pulled in is also a consideration.

That's going to be asking a whole lot of that truck if you're going to be towing long distance with it. I have the same exact configuration as your truck now, and pulling a 9000lb trailer I have takes all it's got. The engine pulls way more revs than I feel comfortable with. The 6.2l I have ordered should change that.

Did you order the Max Tow package as well ?

Did you order the Max Tow package as well ?

Yeah, I ordered it with the max towing package. I test drove one, and pulled the trailer I wrote about earlier. The difference was amazing. It's no duramax by any means in towing. We have two 2015 2500 duramax's in our family business now, and they are complete beasts. But the 6.2L with the 8 speed was really, really good.

Is the dry weight 6000# or 8500#?

Being a toy hauler, you'll most definitely be over. Our 34' TT has a dry weight of around 6800#, and we guestimate it is about 8000# loaded.

If you are 8500# DRY, you'll be way over the 9200# loaded. I'd go 2500 if you are hauling toys.

Trailer aerodynamics aside, with your half ton, you are likely to run out of payload capacity before anything else. Especially with a toy hauler (presumably loaded with toys, it'll get heavy real fast, giving more tongue weight, shrinking your remaining payload for passengers and gear.

I've towed a 27' TT, weighing around 5,500 pounds and the 5.3 pulls it just fine. But I was having payload concerns and made the switch to a 2500.

Yeah, I ordered it with the max towing package. I test drove one, and pulled the trailer I wrote about earlier. The difference was amazing. It's no duramax by any means in towing. We have two 2015 2500 duramax's in our family business now, and they are complete beasts. But the 6.2L with the 8 speed was really, really good.

Link to what you wrote earlier?

Is the dry weight 6000# or 8500#?

Being a toy hauler, you'll most definitely be over. Our 34' TT has a dry weight of around 6800#, and we guestimate it is about 8000# loaded.

If you are 8500# DRY, you'll be way over the 9200# loaded. I'd go 2500 if you are hauling toys.

if i stick to a trailer that has a dry weight of around 7000 do you think ill be fine?

Archived