Towing a Toy Hauler with 5.3L

if i stick to a trailer that has a dry weight of around 7000 do you think ill be fine?

How much do all your toys, fuel, tools, and other gear weigh?

For a safety margin, I would tow at no more than about 85% of stated capacity.

9200 lbs x 85% = 7820 lbs total

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much do all your toys, fuel, tools, and other gear weigh?

For a safety margin, I would tow at no more than about 85% of stated capacity.

9200 lbs x 85% = 7820 lbs total

would be towing mainly 3-4 dirt dikes at a time weighing about 225 pounds each

probably have 3 people in the truck.

maybe 100 pounds in tools

then miscellaneous camping gear, not really sure how much it would weigh

would probably only add water or fuel to the trailer close to destination.

Link to what you wrote earlier?

It was earlier in this thread. I have the same setup as the OP has now, and I have a 9000lb trailer that would pull the guts out of my 5.3l if I towed it a lot. I pulled that same trailer with a 6.2 8 speed, and it pulled the trailer like it weighed 4500lbs instead of 9000lbs. So now my local dealership has a 16 6.2 on the way. It was built yesterday actually.

It was earlier in this thread. I have the same setup as the OP has now, and I have a 9000lb trailer that would pull the guts out of my 5.3l if I towed it a lot. I pulled that same trailer with a 6.2 8 speed, and it pulled the trailer like it weighed 4500lbs instead of 9000lbs. So now my local dealership has a 16 6.2 on the way. It was built yesterday actually.

how much did it cost you to do the switch? i was in my dealership today and was talking them about switching to a 2500hd gas ltz and they wanted an extra 25 grand.

You need to consider everything else you put in the trailer besides bikes and water. Water and waste water (grey and black) are very heavy. You can't always fill up or dump close to where you want to camp. So you are pulling all that weight sometimes.

Plus you will have groceries, clothes, plates, gas for bikes, tools, blankets, sleeping bags, etc, etc, etc,

It all adds up very quickly. It all means more weight on your hitch as well.

I have a 24 foot Jayco toyhauler that is rated as 7000 pounds dry and I bet it is at 9000 or 9500 loaded. I have a 2500 HD with the 8.1 litre motor and I can not see pulling it with a half ton. My 3/4 ton is working pretty hard to pull it mainly because of the weight.

I have a lot of experience towing 3 different trailers (dry 8500, 7500, 5500) with all GM configurations from the 90's up (5.7, 6.0, 8.1, 6.2 old, 6.2 new). As many have mentioned, where and how long you tow is a big issue. For me, the 7500 and 5500 TT were toy haulers, and I too would load, 3 bikes, etc.. One biggie for me was I almost always was crossing the Appalachians from Jersey to PA or NY, 2+ hour drives ea. way to get to 10+ races a year.

When I started, I had the 6.0-3.73-4sp, and with the 7500lb TH with 3 bikes, me and it did not like it at all. I would routinely be pulling near redline, and the engine and trans temps would rise even if it was 70 degrees out. if it was 80+, forget it, I had to stop on hills. I then went to the 8.1-4.10-4sp, and loved it. But then GM got rid of the 8.1, so I had to attempt the then new 6.2-6sp-3.42, in the Denali, and I was surprised how well it did. Still not as great as the 8.1, but it held it's own. I then had a chance to trade a fellow racer for his lighter TH and it was the 5500lb unit. The 6.2 did great, and now my new 6.2 makes mince meat of that unit. I have driven many new 5.3-6sp's and IMO you would be fine with this for 5500lb unit, but not a 7500. If you get the 7500lbs, go for the 6.2.

And of course if you are towing relatively flat areas, then the 5.3 would do the 7500 too, but not fast or relatively safe.

Best of luck. If you can get the 6.2, do it. And also get the standard bed (6ft), as it helps towing a little, but doesn't like tight parking lots.

I have a lot of experience towing 3 different trailers (dry 8500, 7500, 5500) with all GM configurations from the 90's up (5.7, 6.0, 8.1, 6.2 old, 6.2 new). As many have mentioned, where and how long you tow is a big issue. For me, the 7500 and 5500 TT were toy haulers, and I too would load, 3 bikes, etc.. One biggie for me was I almost always was crossing the Appalachians from Jersey to PA or NY, 2+ hour drives ea. way to get to 10+ races a year.

When I started, I had the 6.0-3.73-4sp, and with the 7500lb TH with 3 bikes, me and it did not like it at all. I would routinely be pulling near redline, and the engine and trans temps would rise even if it was 70 degrees out. if it was 80+, forget it, I had to stop on hills. I then went to the 8.1-4.10-4sp, and loved it. But then GM got rid of the 8.1, so I had to attempt the then new 6.2-6sp-3.42, in the Denali, and I was surprised how well it did. Still not as great as the 8.1, but it held it's own. I then had a chance to trade a fellow racer for his lighter TH and it was the 5500lb unit. The 6.2 did great, and now my new 6.2 makes mince meat of that unit. I have driven many new 5.3-6sp's and IMO you would be fine with this for 5500lb unit, but not a 7500. If you get the 7500lbs, go for the 6.2.

And of course if you are towing relatively flat areas, then the 5.3 would do the 7500 too, but not fast or relatively safe.

Best of luck. If you can get the 6.2, do it. And also get the standard bed (6ft), as it helps towing a little, but doesn't like tight parking lots.

Don't forget the dirt bikes will have gas in the them, that is extra weight per bike, It sounds like you are really pushing the envelope with your current set up. Is it very hilly where you are? You may be best to look for a bigger engine or max tow truck or both....

if i stick to a trailer that has a dry weight of around 7000 do you think ill be fine?

If a toy hauler, no. Ours is a bunkhouse - hauling food and clothes. When you add dirt bikes and 4-wheelers to the mix, you'll break the 9200# rating real quick. If you are set on towing a toy hauler, you really should spring for a 2500 so you can get a trailer that fits your needs and never look back.

how much did it cost you to do the switch? i was in my dealership today and was talking them about switching to a 2500hd gas ltz and they wanted an extra 25 grand.

Obviously there are many factors in this. But I can tell you that around here they are giving top dollar for used trucks, I even made some cabbage on my recent trade-in. And the discounts on leftover 2015 HDs are pretty decent.

What makes the max trailering package??

I have 3.08 gears on my truck and want to tow a 18ft trailer with another truck on it.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

The max trailering has 3.73 gears in the 6-speeds, and 3.42 gears for the 8-speed for the 2016s. They also have beefier suspensions and a larger rear-end.

Your build is close to being on the the same schedule as mine. Mine is being built, it isn't done yet.

The max trailering has 3.73 gears in the 6-speeds, and 3.42 gears for the 8-speed for the 2016s. They also have beefier suspensions and a larger rear-end.

And enhanced cooling via a different radiator.

Obviously there are many factors in this. But I can tell you that around here they are giving top dollar for used trucks, I even made some cabbage on my recent trade-in. And the discounts on leftover 2015 HDs are pretty decent.

And enhanced cooling via a different radiator.

So adding 4.10s and helper bags will push my tow rating up....

Radiator is useless.... It is a trans cooler that you want.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

Archived