Towing a Toy Hauler with 5.3L

So adding 4.10s and helper bags will push my tow rating up....

Radiator is useless.... It is a trans cooler that you want.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

L83s come with a transmission cooler- RPO KNP. Because it dumps heat in front of the radiator, I imagine the enhanced radiator helps compensate for the hot air flow.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes the max trailering package??

I have 3.08 gears on my truck and want to tow a 18ft trailer with another truck on it.

Max Trailering Package, On Crew Cab and Double Cab models, includes 9.76" rear axle, (JL1) trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
On 1LT - Includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential and Z82 Trailering Package. Requires (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and (DPN) outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors. Includes (PZX) 18" x 8.5" bright-machined aluminum wheels with (RBX/RBW) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD4) 20" aluminum wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires.
On 1LZ - With (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine, requires (PZX) 18" x 8.5" aluminum wheels and (RBX/RBW) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD2) 20" chrome wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires. With (L86) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, requires (RD2) 20" chrome wheels with (QSS) 20" tires. Requires (DQS) Outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors. Not available with (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package.

So adding 4.10s and helper bags will push my tow rating up....

Radiator is useless.... It is a trans cooler that you want.

In theory, yes, the 4.10 gears will aid with towing and air bags will keep the back end from sagging. And I say "in theory" because I am no expert so I would not want to give the wrong advice. But yes those items are part of what allows a vehicle to tow a certain weight.

BUT, it won't increase payload and you'll likely run out of payload first.

In theory, yes, the 4.10 gears will aid with towing and air bags will keep the back end from sagging. And I say "in theory" because I am no expert so I would not want to give the wrong advice. But yes those items are part of what allows a vehicle to tow a certain weight.

BUT, it won't increase payload and you'll likely run out of payload first.

Reason i ask is because i have a Doo Little ez loader GT 16+6 and a co worker is selling me his 2003 F150 regular cab 4.6 lighting replica we are taking about 4000ish lbs right?? ..... 1700 miles from North Dakota to South Texas... Give or take a a hundred miles.

Just want to be sure my 5.3 double cab with 3.08s cam make the trip.... If it wont blow up and give me an excuse to get a new one. Lol

If you tow enough to need a gear swap then you really need a truck swap...

Blows my mind that everyone on here is willing to risk hurting their family, hurting someone else's family or simply getting sued into having nothing all to save on $100 in fuel usage per year.

2500HD has 14 1/2in. disk brakes on all corners and doesn't even squat when you hook a load to it.

Reason i ask is because i have a Doo Little ez loader GT 16+6 and a co worker is selling me his 2003 F150 regular cab 4.6 lighting replica we are taking about 4000ish lbs right?? ..... 1700 miles from North Dakota to South Texas... Give or take a a hundred miles.

Just want to be sure my 5.3 double cab with 3.08s cam make the trip.... If it wont blow up and give me an excuse to get a new one. Lol

Yeah, with the 3.08 gears that seems like a long trip with that kind of weight.

If you're towing one time, why not rent a UHaul truck or something like that and tow it.

I think you are looking at way more than 4,000 pounds given that the F150 alone is about 4,700. The rating for a 5.3 with 3.08 gears is less than 7,000 so that only leaves 2,300 (or less) for the trailer. What does it weigh?

Yes, 4.10 gears and airbags will dramatically help your truck tow. No, they won't change its official tow rating in the owner's manual, but they'll increase the truck's actual capability and make life much easier on you while towing the load--as well as making things safer and reducing the chances of a mechanical issue.

I think most owners stuck with 3.08 gears would enjoy a gear swap even if they never towed a thing.

Blows my mind that everyone on here is willing to risk hurting their family, hurting someone else's family or simply getting sued into having nothing all to save on $100 in fuel usage per year.

While I'm sure there are people doing such a thing, I really don't think somebody wanting to tow ~7000 lbs falls into that category. It's a full sized pickup, not a Smart Car.

2500HD has 14 1/2in. disk brakes on all corners and doesn't even squat when you hook a load to it.

What are you talking about? Are you saying that towing or hauling within GM's published capacities is unsafe? If so, please explain your logic.

My 14 is light years ahead of a 10 year old 3/4 ton even brakes, so how did they move my boat 10 years ago

They did just fine...... guys are here get a raging hard on for stupid things when they don't actually have a clue what they are talking about. The short falls on these trucks is the spring capacity especially in the rear...... other than that my 2015 6.2 half ton has better brakes and a stronger chassis than my 05 1500HD ( 8600 GVWR truck). As mentioned you run out of payload capacity long before you exceed the tow rating. And technically my 05 had 3.73 so it was only rated to tow 7900 lbs..... lol. A good 700 lbs less than it was legal to tow behind it.

I would not want a gas engine HD truck..... that 6 liter is a pathetic turd to drive with a trailer behind it thanks to L92 heads on it. This way it inadvertently gets guys to buy diesels they don't actually need lol. I guess if you want to listen to that thing scream between 4500 and 5600 rpm all day long to maintain speed on even modest grades go nuts...... I don't. I love that my 6.2 can chug up hills at about 2800 rpm maintaining 65 mph that the 09 2500 HD gas pig I had needed to see over 4500 rpm to do..... oh well lol.

The op is likely going to be overloaded based on legal payload however..... thus forcing him into a 3/4 ton if he wants to be legal.

They did just fine...... guys are here get a raging hard on for stupid things when they don't actually have a clue what they are talking about. The short falls on these trucks is the spring capacity especially in the rear...... other than that my 2015 6.2 half ton has better brakes and a stronger chassis than my 05 1500HD ( 8600 GVWR truck). As mentioned you run out of payload capacity long before you exceed the tow rating. And technically my 05 had 3.73 so it was only rated to tow 7900 lbs..... lol. A good 700 lbs less than it was legal to tow behind it.

I would not want a gas engine HD truck..... that 6 liter is a pathetic turd to drive with a trailer behind it thanks to L92 heads on it. This way it inadvertently gets guys to buy diesels they don't actually need lol. I guess if you want to listen to that thing scream between 4500 and 5600 rpm all day long to maintain speed on even modest grades go nuts...... I don't. I love that my 6.2 can chug up hills at about 2800 rpm maintaining 65 mph that the 09 2500 HD gas pig I had needed to see over 4500 rpm to do..... oh well lol.

The op is likely going to be overloaded based on legal payload however..... thus forcing him into a 3/4 ton if he wants to be legal.

I agree... My 2015 2500 HD gas is a absolute turd and chugs gas like a summmbitch... It avg 9.2mpg....and i tow a fetherlight trailer for work sometimes and i think my 2014 1500 can do it better. This 2500 even has 3.73s bur god does it feel like a pig..... I understand it is a 4door long bed but holy cow.

My 14 is light years ahead of a 10 year old 3/4 ton even brakes, so how did they move my boat 10 years ago

Odd, a 10 year old 3/4ton GM truck has 12.5in. disk brakes, have you bothered to see what the brake size is on the new 1/2ton...

I think we already know that you don't know the brake size of your truck or else you would not have posted that.

Archived