TPMS work different years?

GasHog369

Question

Hello Expert,

Im turning to the Technician for help. Ive called around to 6 different dealers and got 6 different answers.

I have a 2012 Silverado. I am looking to buy this wheel / tire package from a fellow member / local guy...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/181325-ck162-wheel-package-for-sale-at-tires-only-2k-miles/

It is from his 2015 silverado.

The question is , Being the sensors are from his 2015 , will they adapt to my 2012? Even if i have to have the dealer program them?

Thankyou in advance!

13 answers to this question

I ended up buying those rims / tires.. So i have an idea on how i can see if the sensors work. Wouldnt i be able to just put the wheels near the truck, go into programming mode and start decreasing pressure on them and see if they link up? I dont necessarily have to install the wheels right? It likely wont be a good month until i can get these on as i wont run them in snow / salt...

That will work, provided you get the pressure to decrease quick enough for the computer to notice. That is usually what prevents sensors from being seen by the computer during configuration. On my G5 I left the summer tires and wheels in the car for a couple of weeks and the car never noticed they were not mounted. Once they got put in the garage, the TPMS light came on about 20 minutes from the house.

I ended up buying those rims / tires.. So i have an idea on how i can see if the sensors work. Wouldnt i be able to just put the wheels near the truck, go into programming mode and start decreasing pressure on them and see if they link up? I dont necessarily have to install the wheels right? It likely wont be a good month until i can get these on as i wont run them in snow / salt...

I don't see why not - they all should be the same frequency, unless GM decided to change something with the new ones (which wouldn't surprise me).

You can program the sensors through the DIC. It's in the owner's manual. Basically once you get in that mode, the front driver's (front left) running light will light indicating that you should be on that wheel. You either let air out, or add air (letting out is better so you don't end up at 70psi), until the horn beeps, and you'll see the front right running light lit. Do the same with that, then onto the rear, ending with the left rear - horn should beep 2 or 3 times with all 4 corner lamps flashing indicating it's programmed.

I had an issue with mine when it was still under warranty, where it would NOT accept the 4th wheel. Wasted 2 hours going around and around the damn truck, and it wouldn't finalize the process. Figures. I was pretty pissed off and let the dealer know. Don't know what they did, but ever since they waved the $500 magic wand around the wheels, it's been able to be programmed ever since through the DIC.

EDIT: Found a website that sold '14 wheel sensors, and it said they were 315 Mhz - that's what all of them are from '07 up. If the '14 is 315 I think it stands to reason the '15 would be too. AutoZone lists the same sensor from '10-'15. The 2010 sensors work on my '07, so I'd say your all set.

Here's a Youtube vid on programming:

Best way to do it is to remove the valve core. Then you don't have to sit there all cramped up waiting for the damn horn to honk .... IF it even does, like Jay mentioned.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if GM took this ability right out of the customer's hands, and created a mandatory shop visit ... :mad:

HAHAHA! You & me both Doug! :lol:

This doesn't surprise me though, being GM dealers and all ...

Good call - salt ruins them.

Yeah, it should be able to link up, I would THINK ... but you never know with electronic crap what the hell it will do. I'd try it, and if it doesn't work you'll have to install the wheels (in spring) and run them until the light comes on, and then program the new ones.

Lol. First dealer said gms answer is no. His answer is why not. Its just a program..

Second guy said no diff parts.

3rd said he did it with his 2010 -2012. But didn't know for newest body style..

4th said buy new sensors. Very abrupt, wanted a quick sale.

5th had no idea .

And the 6th didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered cause it was so close to lunch, haha.

I don't have a direct answer but the same programing tool works from 1st year of TPMS to the current model. Based on that I think they are the same. You would probably get a better answer from a tire shop since they deal with them every day.

Jay

Archived