6.0 Engine Oil Over-Filled ?

This was my 4th GMC done engine oil change

All 4 oil changes have been filled to the same level ...

It is filled on my dip stick to between the 2 digits (the 2 and the 6)

Seems overfilled to me ....

post-48751-0-59922200-1454356319_thumb.jpg

I bet they are using the 8 quart spec for the Gen V 5.3 and 6.2 in the 1/2 ton trucks. I was always catching our guys when they launched those engines and the HD has the carry over engines. They would come up and ask me for a PF63 and 8 quarts 0w20, I'd hand them a PF48 and they'd look at me funny.

Heck, might even be possible that they threw 0w20 in it too. Hopefully the right filter as well!

Got your receipt somewhere? You can check and post the GM parts numbers that are on it that they billed out. Should be there whether its the free service or not.

Should be two lines, both are 8 digit part numbers.

My last 3 6.0's were all serviced independently and were always between the hatch xxx marks and the numbers, and I just got used to it

My trucks always used about a 1/4 quart every 5000 miles their entire life, and I replace them at about 120,000 miles

My guess - Not much to be concerned about with my truck now having 18,000 miles and this will be my last dealer oil change ...

just odd it's over full by maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 a quart (?)

They're just adding that lil extra so you don't have to top off every 5,000 miles!

On a serious note, it's sad that the tech's won't double check their work. I get it, they see tons of trucks and do the same jobs over and over again. But you can't let your quality suffer just because it's a "routine" job. I was glad to get my free oil changes over with as well on my wife's Traverse....

I wouldn't be worried by it one bit.

It has to be really overfull to have issues, the issue that does come up when it is severally overfull is when the crank is churning in the oil as this creates foam and air doesn't lube.

It could be a motivation to overfill slightly like many dealerships have been doing to the oil using AFM engines in the 1/2 tons. that is only about a 1/2 quart more than the recommended fill. Not going to hurt anything.

Archived