GM Borla vs Muffler Delete

Has anybody done a muffler delete then moved onto the GM Borla? I just traded in my early 2014 5.3L Denali to a 2016 6.2L Denali.

I had Borla S Type on my 2014 5.3L and loved the sound around town but couldn't stand the constant hum on the highway.

I just did the muffler delete on my 2016 6.2L and like the sound and how silent it is on the highway. But I do miss the Borla sound.

Is the GM Borla just as quite on the highway as a muffler delete with flapper open and resonater still in the chain?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Haven't had the Borla (any flavor) myself, but I have a 6.2 custom muffler delete and I've heard the borlas. To my ears, I have no idea why someone would spend that kinda cash on an exhaust that clearly doesn't garner the same respect as simply taking the muffler off. Time and time again people have went out of their way to ask "what kinda exhaust you have on that, sounds mean!" (Happened twice today actually). Hard to convince them.

• Like 1

I am very close to agreeing with you. Since the muffler delete I have had two people in the last week ask me what exhaust and how much? They were both floored when I told them I just deleted the muffler for $70. They both said it was the best exhaust they had heard on a truck, no lie.

I do think it sounds great and it's really what I was after. The Borla S Type was cool on my 5.2L for the two weeks I had it but there was no way I could drive more than an hour on the highway with it. But it was also my first exhaust ever so I learned a lot.

There is a difference in sound between Borla and just a muffler delete but a $1200 worth of sound?

BUT for my own curiosity, I would like to know the sound difference on the highway between the two.

Haven't had the Borla (any flavor) myself, but I have a 6.2 custom muffler delete and I've heard the borlas. To my ears, I have no idea why someone would spend that kinda cash on an exhaust that clearly doesn't garner the same respect as simply taking the muffler off. Time and time again people have went out of their way to ask "what kinda exhaust you have on that, sounds mean!" (Happened twice today actually). Hard to convince them.

If you look up muffler delete on this forum you will find quite a few with videos attached.

I have the 6.2 and did a muffler delete and love the sound. It is quite on the highway, I have no drone at all, but when I give it gas it sounds mean. It also sounds very good when you start it up. I have had multiple people ask me what exhaust I have on it. i would recommend it, specially because of the price of doing a delete. I have CAI paired with it and it sounds extra nice haha.

I did get the chance to hear the GM borla exhaust on a buddies 6.2 the other day. It sounds mean when started up and is definitely louder then a muffler delete. He says he loves. I didn't get a chance to ride in it, so i don't know how loud it is on the road. Also, the dyno tests show the GM bola exhaust adds an additional 10hp. Don't believe me, look it up.

Possibly in the future I'll get the GM borla when I get my tune. But for know, I love the muffler delete.

• Like 1

Always going to have mixed opinions no matter what. Some will say why be soo cheap. Other are going to say why spend all that money on a catback.. Bottom line it's your truck do what you want. I did my version of a gm borla... total cost me almost $700. And sounds better than a gm borla and it's quiet at V4 mode. Again this is my opinion

I actually looked up the videos on YouTube. I had to find my headphones to get an good idea of the true sound. It does sound really good. The best part for me is my exhaust guy can probably do it cheaper than $70 which is nice considering his work is really good.

I actually looked up the videos on YouTube. I had to find my headphones to get an good idea of the true sound. It does sound really good. The best part for me is my exhaust guy can probably do it cheaper than $70 which is nice considering his work is really good.

In houston TX, my local shop charged me 60 to replace my factory muffler with a straight pipe and install my gibson square tips side by side straight out the pass side...meaning a new piece of pipe to go straight back and "Y" to my dual tips. I thought it was a bargain !!

• Like 1

Here is a video I took this morning of a cold start. 2016 Sierra 6.2L with only the muffler deleted. Resonater still there and the value on but left open.

Thank you! That is exactly the tone that I'm wanting.

In houston TX, my local shop charged me 60 to replace my factory muffler with a straight pipe and install my gibson square tips side by side straight out the pass side...meaning a new piece of pipe to go straight back and "Y" to my dual tips. I thought it was a bargain !!

That was a bargain. My guy priced cutting a worn out soot collector (what I call it) off an older diesel truck of ours for $40 including the replacement pipe. He didn't even have to lift the truck as it was a cab, and chassis.

I took some videos of me driving this morning but the sound is really off from using my iPhone. Sounds like there is humming in the cab but there is zero. I will try and take a better video with a different device later.

Thank you! That is exactly the tone that I'm wanting.

Edited by Bigham16