2001 Yukon XL - Dash Electrical Problems

Hellenthal

Question

Problems for a 2001 Yukon XL, 2500, 4X4, SLT, Auto Ride, 8.1L

190,000 miles

1. Problems started when the OnStar Green Light turned RED and the air bag light on the dash stayed ON – I checked the fuses and could not find anything. It continues to go on and off most of the time.

Several days later, the ABS light on the dash came ON, followed by the BATTERY light in the information display, came ON, followed by the fuel gage GOING OUT (as if someone cut off the power to it, however the battery gage remained unchanged and was STILL WORKING CORRECTLY and the engine was still RUNNING. All of this still happens regardless of being in PARK, NUTERAL or MOVING.

I have wondered if a possible problem might be water getting into the under dash area, as seen when I remove the dash electrical panel cover on the driver’s side (a rusted area on the metal dash framing) and the carpet under the drivers area is getting wet. The vehicle has a Unity Spot light mounted above the driver’s side mirror (like on a fire vehicle). Problem didn’t start until we had heavy rain in PNW. I have tried everything to try and stop any water from getting inside the vehicle.

I love this vehicle and was hoping to keep it. By the way, I am disabled and can not work in it anymore, but I don't want to get tricked by a mechanic that does not know what the problem is, and tries to oversell me on something I don't need.

Thanks, Ron

5 answers to this question

I had a 01 suburban wi th over 300000 miles. I had the brake light on and sometimes it would go off but mostly stayed on, figured it was a ground issue to bcm. I changed out 3 fuel pumps due to sending units goin bad. SHOULD have just replaced with oem. Odometer stopped working 5 yrs before i got rid of it. Had 2 brake lines burst due to rust. Eventually as much as i loved the truck it was time to part ways.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thank you for your comments, but I just can't afford $70,000. Does anyone know what year GM quit putting the 8.1L in the Yukon XL or Suburban? Also I can't find any recent years with the 2500 / 3/4 ton in them. Has GM quit making the 3/4?

Anyway, Thanks

Vehicles of this era are good for about 12 years in the rust belt .. IF you're lucky. They just don't build 'em like they used to.

I've heard of windshield leaks on these (or was that Ford ... can't remember) wreaking havoc with the electrical system. These sorts of issues can get expensive, and hopeless pretty fast. Everything is thinner, smaller, lighter - and that includes the wire. Once things start going wrong there, you pretty much have to rip out 150 lbs. of wire and start over. God help the mechanic that has to do that job ...

Not trying to rain on your parade - just preparing you for the worst. With 21st century vehicles, the worst is usually how it goes after 15 years, unfortunately.

As of late, I've been so sick and tired of fixing this generation of vehicles that I bought my first foreign car. It has absolutely zero HP or torque, but at least it gets my wife to work 70 miles every day.

Thank you for your comments, but I just can't afford $70,000. Does anyone know what year GM quit putting the 8.1L in the Yukon XL or Suburban? Also I can't find any recent years with the 2500 / 3/4 ton in them. Has GM quit making the 3/4?

Anyway, Thanks

Neither can I, nor would I spend that even if I could - pricing of new vehicles has got ridiculous.

You don't have to buy new. There's plenty of low mile, great condition vehicles out there all over the country. Lots of vehicles 30 years old that are in better shape than alot of newer stuff - just have to look and be patient. Bet you could find something in better condition on eBay right now. Don't even have to leave your seat if you can afford to have it shipped to you. It's always better to see and drive in person, however, but people buy sight-unseen off eBay all the time. Just don't buy from a car dealer. I learned that the hard way ... :)

Archived