Toyota Gives Up On Scion - Thoughts?

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-07531100-1454533019_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2/3/2016

On lieu of any big GM truck news today, I thought I would write an unconventional eulogy for Scion from the "first person perspective." Toyota pulled the plug on Scion very secretly last night. Although I wrote a story predicting this at an outlet I covered news about Scion for (that ruffled some feathers), even Toyota's PR network didn't know until they woke up this morning that the company was giving up on Scion as an individual brand. Even pretty mundane stuff is usually shared with the PR network in advance, and we writers often get "embargoed" stories shortly ahead of the news release so stories can be prepared for morning publication. Not this time.

Unlike GM's Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Saturn divisions, Scion never had a strong following of owners that loved the brand. Sure, there are enthusiasts that love the FR-S sports coupe and two 20-sometings with slammed tC hatchbacks that are bummed today, but most of the Scion line consisted of goofy micro cars nobody wanted or bought. The Corolla always outsold the whole of Scion. For those that have never seen one, Scion dealerships were small areas inside of Toyota dealerships. Not all Toyota dealers had Scion, just some. Don't shed any tears for the dealers. They wanted this to end too.

The Scion FR-S has its share of supporters, most of them auto writers who don't have to actually own one to enjoy it. I always thought it was too low on torque, and because I could not find any enthusiasm for the brand, I asked one of my publishers to pass coverage of Scion along to another writer who could provide that energy.

The great news is that if you love the Scion you own, or if you look forward to an FR-S, Toyota will now serve you directly. Let's face it, they did all along.

I had one a Scion Xb, great and very practical car. I believe its a rebadge Toyota BB from Japan. Never had nay complain with it. I just notice that Scion uses models from there mother brand Toyota and have it re badge to Scion.

They did that to market it to younger people. I liked some of their products.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It was a strange plan from the beginning. Fixed pricing probably turned a lot of people away as would the fact that most models had no options- just one trim. Also their youth brand was really popular with other folks instead of young people. :lol:

They're all supposed to stay here as Toyotas anyhow.

No different than GM losing Pontiac. Olds, Saturn, Hummer, etc. (or Mercury, Plymouth, Saab, Isuzu, Suzuki).... Once a marketing plan isn't profitable, it goes on the chopping block. No surprise.

Most everything Scion ever sold was sold as a Toyota in other countries.

• 5 months later...

I have a 2012 XD. Never had a problem with it. It is a great practical car for urban driving, not really too great for the interstate. Scion was geared for the younger generation who would buy kits & trick them out, exhaust to sound like a weedeater, etc. The square look was not the most popular style. Nissan stopped Cube production, which was basically their grab at the square Scion look. The T/C was Scions best seller.

Archived