2015 3500 HD SRW.....REALLY stiff ride.

Hey guys,

last may I bought a 3500 SRW. Aluminum reading service body. the truck is sweet. i love it. i love everything about it except...the ride. My old 2003 2500 rode like a car. this thing is the worst riding vehicle i've ever been in. worse than my ford dump truck. are these new trucks just really rough? is it because its a 3500? as far as i know the only difference between the 3500 and the 2500 is the extra spring in the back that only gets touched if theres weight in the truck.....

anyone else have this issue? could i have a problem? bad shocks?

thanks

tom

That is correct on the back, the rear spring packs are the same, the overloads only make contact and stiffen the ride after squating 3in..

The front is slightly rougher riding as the 3500 uses stiffer torsion bars.

If you have the torsion bars turned up the ride is very stiff.

Tire Air Pressure ?

If not loaded with payload maybe try psi's in the 50's , even 40's are doable ... just don't allow you sidewall to show a bulge out at the bottom, and check your tires after highway speeds - they should remain cool (slight warm is ok ....)

Lack of steering stabilizer. GM bean counters decided 2011+ models didn't need it. Yet, there is mounts for one from factory.

Might have done away with frame bracket on ?2016? Model. Not sure don't have one. Thought I read a thread of someone complaining of no bracket.

Took our plow truck on a 30 mile round trip, with plow, rode equal to my 2500hd which I find rides great. Better than my 2012 1500.

Chevor...not sure what a steering stabilizer has to do with a stiff ride? Stiff ride = suspension at least that's what I think...

#PIT5052E: Steering Wheel Vibration Or Customers Looking To Add Steering Stabilizer

The 2500/3500 HD trucks are not built with a steering stabilizer

A steering stabilizer is listed in the parts catalog group 6.865 (steering linkage shock absorber) and is available, but is not intended to address vibrations or brake pulsations. This part can be added, but is not intended to be used for a warranty repair.

Additional information: The 2500/3500 HD's are specifically built without a Steering Dampener Shock.

The explanation below can be used to give a more detailed description of how the 2500/3500 HD steering system functions, with respect to road input.

Steering damper's predominate influence is on large heavy impacts encountered during more extreme off road events. For smaller chatter/bump surfaces, the steering damper does not see high enough rod velocity to generate resistance force. For these situations, there is more mounting bushing compression than anything else. The 2011-14 model year 2500/3500 HD steering gear system features the same knuckle steering arm to pitman arm length ratio as the previous (2010 and older) HD model, but the steering gear piston diameter is larger and capable of higher pressure, which creates more viscous damping in the 2011-14 model year 2500/3500 HD steering gear than the previous (2010 and older) HD model steering gears.

I find the HD trucks ride much better with some weight in them ...

Yep. I put in about 350 pounds of sand bags the other day due to snowy conditions and I immediately noticed a slightly softer ride.

I also put the tires down to around 52-54 psi and that helps as well.

Love my 2500 except for that damn squeaky brake pedal, but that's for another thread I suppose.

Love my 2500 except for that damn squeaky brake pedal, but that's for another thread I suppose.

My 2011 25HD had a squeaky brake pedal ... and I sprayed some Deep Creep up there (with a towel on the floor to catch drips ...)

Next day it was quiet - (your results may vary ... probably not the best way to deal with it) smell went away in a few days

it came 80 all around but i believe i backed it to 65 rear 60 fronts, i forget. it helped, but barely.

i have a plow, i never touched torsion bars. whether plow installer did or not, i'm not sure. i had the truck for 6 months before plow got installed and never noticed a difference.

Archived