Shock recommendations

Bilsteins are the cheapest and best for on road followed by Fox 2.0's, both will need shock spacers.

Personally regardless of road use I would go Fox's and install the steering stabilizer as well.

I was under the impression that Bilstein 5100's are a longer shock, eliminating the need for spacers if the 'lift' is only 2" +/- (presuming stock keys are cranked to achieve near-level). Are you suggesting that spacers are required regardless? Otherwise, would not the OE shocks (in my case, the Z71' Rancho's) when combined with a spacer if cranked be adequate? I realize this topic has been beat ad-nausium on these forums but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus. You'd think there is a recognized 'best practice' to achieve level on this truck. and preserve ride quality.

I vacillate almost daily between leveling via 'lift' and simple shackles to drop the rear end.

I was under the impression that Bilstein 5100's are a longer shock, eliminating the need for spacers if the 'lift' is only 2" +/- (presuming stock keys are cranked to achieve near-level). Are you suggesting that spacers are required regardless? Otherwise, would not the OE shocks (in my case, the Z71' Rancho's) when combined with a spacer if cranked be adequate? I realize this topic has been beat ad-nausium on these forums but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus. You'd think there is a recognized 'best practice' to achieve level on this truck. and preserve ride quality.

I vacillate almost daily between leveling via 'lift' and simple shackles to drop the rear end.

There are no shocks made for these trucks that are longer then the stock ones, EVERY shock must use spacers on a leveled truck.

If it makes you feel any better Bilstein made a shock just for leveled trucks for the '01-'10 HD trucks and the shock was SHORTER then stock, figure that out.

So again yes spacers are needed regardless of any shock used.

The stock Rancho shocks belong in the trash can, night and day difference!

SMiller, thanks for clearing this fog. As a follow up, my local CT dealer claims that to level, they only turn the keys/align. No mention is made of extenders or UCA's. No impact to warranty. In fairness, depending on how one drives, I can see how extenders could be deemed 'incremental'. And it's true that alignment is brought within spec after a few cranks (say, 1.75"-2.0" lift). But to achieve 'near-level' on a '15 Z71, correctly (i.e. stock or or better ride quality, exact alignment, no adverse suspension issues) should both the extenders and UCA's be done upfront? Or what would merit the UCA's (and which ones?)? And in a perverse way, would aftermarket extenders and or UCA's present warranty speed bumps if in fact the local dealer doesn't recommend them??

OK, so just when I thought I understood that all shocks require a 'spacer' : http://www.4wheelparts.com/parts/bilstein/shocks.aspx

"Bilstein designed the 5100 leveling shock for maximum performance while eliminating the shortcomings found in spacer leveling kits."

Or is this 5100 'level shock' designed for the 'pre-'11' model?

(As an aside, I've had Bilstein's in every German car I've owned and immediately replaced more than one stock Japanese suspension with them to achieve a predictable responsiveness. So I'm happy to replace the Rancho's if that makes sense. It's all about pavement ride quality.)

I know they are the rancho shocks, but are these longer than stock? Different part number. I'm sure you could go to parts store and get these instead of buying this whole kit. If you go to "view directions" it gives part numbers for the shocks.

http://www.gorancho.com/products/suspension-systems/chevrolet-gmc-suspension-systems/2015-2011-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-2500hd-3500hd-2-4wd-2-25-in-level-it-torsion-key-system-rs5000-front-shocks-rs66351r5.html

SMiller, thanks for clearing this fog. As a follow up, my local CT dealer claims that to level, they only turn the keys/align. No mention is made of extenders or UCA's. No impact to warranty. In fairness, depending on how one drives, I can see how extenders could be deemed 'incremental'. And it's true that alignment is brought within spec after a few cranks (say, 1.75"-2.0" lift). But to achieve 'near-level' on a '15 Z71, correctly (i.e. stock or or better ride quality, exact alignment, no adverse suspension issues) should both the extenders and UCA's be done upfront? Or what would merit the UCA's (and which ones?)? And in a perverse way, would aftermarket extenders and or UCA's present warranty speed bumps if in fact the local dealer doesn't recommend them??

I would say 2 1/2-3in. would need upper control arms, I would use Cognito arms with Spicer ball joints.

Let's say 8 turns and under just need shock extenders and allingment and over 8 turns needs upper control arms as well.

That's about 4-5 turns of the bolts, you would be ok without spacers.

Thanks again for this clarification.

I'm not sure how many cranks I've taken but the truck still has obvious rake, just not as offensive. Post-crank alignment required only <.05 adjustment to the driver's side. To recap, sounds like UCA's are advisable when the truck reaches 'truly level' or is raised. And that spacers are cheap insurance even now. Then, since the front shocks are partially disconnected, its a good time to upgrade them....and for grins, add a steering stabilizer.

On the stabilizer note, I'm surprised to hear this was eliminated in the newer trucks. If the mounting location is still present, it makes perfect sense to add one. I routinely replace these on 25+ year old Mercedes cars and it makes a world of difference.

Think I will just chill and watch everyone else level their trucks and see who has the best solution.

Not a lot to see, you can head to the different Duramax forums as there are 100's maybe 1000's of pages with write ups and pictures, the torsion bar setup is simple to use and modify.

Archived