Will lifting my truck void my warrenty?

Paulybee

Question

9 answers to this question

From the Warranty Booklet you were provided when purchasing your truck (assuming you bought new):

Recreation Vehicle and Special Body or Equipment Alterations

Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle or chassis, as manufactured and assembled by GM, are not covered by this warranty. The special body company, assembler, or equipment installer is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. Examples include, but are not limited to, special body installations, such as recreational vehicles, the installation of any non-GM part, cutting, welding, or the disconnecting of original equipment vehicle or chassis parts and components, extension of the wheelbase, suspension and driveline modifications, and axle additions.

Also:

#PIT5403: Various Vehicle Handling Concerns Suspension Noise Or Damaged Suspension Components Due To Vehicle Modifications

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some owners may comment on various handling, vehicle dynamics concerns, noises from the suspension or underbody, or issues related to damaged suspension components.

These concerns may occur if the vehicle’s suspension system has been modified by using suspension lift or lowering kits, or making modifications to the vehicle including adjusting components beyond factory specifications such as, but not limited to adjusting torsion bar suspensions to change suspension height and/or aftermarket wheels and/or tires installed.

Recommendation/Instructions

Before any in-depth diagnostics are performed, be aware that various issues could occur if the vehicle has been modified and inform the customer the conditions noted may not be covered under warranty

Most of the larger lift kits are easy to identify because of the major modifications made as compared to a stock vehicle.

This bulletin will help identify some of the smaller changes that can still drive concerns.

If there is any question regarding potential modifications, compare the truck with concerns to a like vehicle looking for modified components.

Inspect for installed aftermarket suspension components such as but not limited to the examples below:

Warranty Information

Any concerns or damage that occurs as a result of vehicle modification may not be covered under the Terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Reference the latest version of TSB 09-00-89-016 (Warranty Administration – Labor Operation 0600014 – Suspected Tampering or Vehicle Modifications) if needed

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

Question is far too vague. The simplest answer is that no, it will not void the ENTIRE warranty. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act covers this. Basically unless your modification causes the failure, warranty is not impacted by the modification. For example, you raise the truck, then a month later the A/C compressor fails. The modification of the suspension could not cause the compressor to fail. On the other hand, if you raise the truck and put larger wheels and tires on it, only to have a wheel bearing fail a month later, they may take the line that the non-stock wheel created an extra load on the bearing due to a different backspacing and would not cover that failure.

• Like 1

Thanks for The info.

Sorry I worded it vaguely. I was curious if I do a lift kit. Will that void my drive train warrenty? People are saying No. My dealership said he'd cover Me Up to a 3.5" lift. I domt trust anything a dealer says. Lol

I would take the dealerships word for this. First off, it was not the dealership that said it, it was one person that currently works at that dealership that said it. Will he still be there when you try to take him up on this? Secondly, and more importantly, it is not the dealership that is honouring the warranty, it is up to GM. GM may happen to show up while the warranty work is being performed, and deny the claim. If the dealership violates any agreement they have with GM in regards to them acting as agents of GM, it may cause serious issues for the dealership. It has been years since I worked at a dealer, but, the last dealership I worked at (a Chrysler dealer) had to return every part replaced under warranty to Chrysler with the claim. I had never heard of that before starting work there, and was amused to see mechanics squirting silicone into a plastic bag to return to Chrysler because they got silicone as one of the parts needed for warranty repair, and the original part used a gasket.

Manufacturers are getting pretty tight with warranty these days. I know GM sent out a bulletin a couple of years ago in regards to getting a screen shot of the PCM screen on the diesel engine claims to prove the PCM code was not modified prior to engine failure.

BDS suspension lifts offer a lifetime no-hassle warranty, a 5 yr/100000 factory plus powertrain warranty and MOST of their kits are certified as FMVSS No. 126 Compliant for Electronic Stability Control Systems. I believe they are the only company offering this level of protection at this time, but they are certainly higher in price.

I would not give any dealership the leverage to possibly void a warranty. Several years ago, if someone wanted to turn off A.F.M on a truck, and needed warranty service work, they then turned A.F.M back on and the dealer would more than likely not find a "History Code". To do that now, means that the dealers are more aware of what goes on , and are more likely of finding that information. Having said that, they now have proof that the vehicle was computer altered! Will that void the warranty?

Edited by Service1956

I would not give any dealership the leverage to possibly void a warranty. Several years ago, if someone wanted to turn off A.F.M on a truck, and needed warranty service work, they then turned A.F.M back on and the dealer would more than likely not find a "History Code". To do that now, means that the dealers are more aware of what goes on , and are more likely of finding that information. Having said that, they now have proof that the vehicle was computer altered! Will that void the warranty?

Take a look at post number 3. Simply put, modifying the "computer" may void the warranty on the parts of the driveline that the modification impacts, but will not void the warranty on the HVAC system. "Void the warranty" is far too broad a term.

People always wanna quote the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act but that really wasn’t enacted to protect people when doing performance mods and major suspension changes. It was to allow you to do things like oil changes brake shocks etc(normal maintenance) outside of the dealership. You have to read the fine print of your vehicle manufacturers warranty, a lot do have limitations when it comes to modifying your vehicles on what they will cover once your vehicle has been modified outside of their specifications. If a dealership denies a warranty claim just quoting this act is not going to miraculously force them work on your car probably just the opposite. You will then have to proceed with a lawsuit while your car sits there busted and hope that you can win the case. Or even get an attorney to represent you against a large corporation. If they can prove that your mods somehow resulted in premature wear of the parts on your vehicle you will lose and be out court costs etc. Not to mention your vehicle will then be flagged permanently as a modified vehicle in their system. Don’t do performance mods unless you have the money in the bank to fix your vehicle in the event of a major engine component failure.

Edited by DDR