2016 paint chips on driver's door

Has anyone noticed paint chips this bad on their 2016 Sierra? I had a 2014 and had nothing like this. It's typical to have chips from rocks and road debris, but this is actual chunks of paint missing. I called GM today and they set me up an appointment to take it to my local GMC dealer. It's aggravating that this has happened the truck will be 2 months old on the 18th.

post-138909-0-10894100-1454980705_thumb.jpg

Flexible coating here is an excellent thing, trust me. That said, there are any number of things that can go wrong in the application or curing of the coating which can make the finished product go off the rails.

Nice to see 2 years after the release of the 2014 with paint chip issues, the issue is still running strong!!

Seriously though thank the EPA for the mandates on more environmentally friendly paints. We run across this issue in the construction industry with floor adhesives. Green generally means crap.

It makes me sick to know the truck has 2,200 miles on and chucks of paint missing. One dealership today they would have to repaint the entire door. I refused. They are suppose to be contacting some field agent to come inspect the truck. I don't care if it's not perfect, I just don't want hug plugs missing.

Nice to see 2 years after the release of the 2014 with paint chip issues, the issue is still running strong!!

Seriously though thank the EPA for the mandates on more environmentally friendly paints. We run across this issue in the construction industry with floor adhesives. Green generally means crap.

Yep if it says CARB Compliant on the label, don't be surprised when it turns out to be junk.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of tires are y'all using. I have 8,800 miles on my 2015. I would like to complain but I think the dealer will say something cause I changed the tires. What ya think.

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 that the dealership themselves had installed on it. The are willing to fix the problem.

It makes me sick to know the truck has 2,200 miles on and chucks of paint missing. One dealership today they would have to repaint the entire door. I refused. They are suppose to be contacting some field agent to come inspect the truck. I don't care if it's not perfect, I just don't want hug plugs missing.

I would guess they are only clear coating the whole door, most of the actual color will only be sprayed low on the door so them painting the whole door won't be as bad as it sounds

I would guess your problem will only get worse unless they refinish it.

Sucks to have a new truck with paint issues, especially on silver. My truck has 10,000 miles and I drive on a lot of gravel roads during hunting season, I've had BFG KO2's with wheel spacers since new and have lots of chips but they are all very small and hardly noticeable. Nothing like yours.

• 6 months later...

Was there ever a final resolution for you? I have a silver 2016, too, and have had 4 small chips appear within the first 1,900 miles. Truck has only been driven on paved roads, garaged, and carefully cared for.

They appear in seemingly random places: (1) front-most right panel; (2) back right panel; (3) tailgate bottom left; and (4) low on driver door panel (but above the thicker paint area).

Archived