Is a tune worth while without any other mods or should I wait?

Been doing some searching and reading on these forums about tuning. I, too, have noticed that it seems the truck shifts too soon (at least that's my perception) when accelerating from a stop (unless I just really get in the pedal) and feels sluggish, especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Sounds like this is as designed by GM and a tune would fix it. I'd probably go with DiabloSport I1000 or something (I looked up the Blackbear and it's just too expensive for my wallet). From what I am reading, even one of the basic built-in tunes would make a difference...right?

2016 L83 5.3L 6 speed 4WD, normally running on 87 regular, no access to E85 anywhere near me. Is it worth while to purchase a tuner without doing anything else? I have not changed tire sizes or done a darn thing other than cosmetic things.

I mean, down the road, may do CAI and exhaust... but to start with a tune, is it a waste of money to buy a tuner 1st or should the CAI & exhaust come 1st and worry about the tuner later on?

If it's worth it, I'd rather start with the tuner as it's invisible... the exhaust and intake are kind of in your face obvious.

The tune will be the only mod that will gain performance vs the intake and exhaust. And to take advantage of any bolt on mods you'll need a good tune. If you go with an in person tuner or the Diablo, you can usually get free upgrades on the tune if you decide to add bolt ons later, within reason.

Been doing some searching and reading on these forums about tuning. I, too, have noticed that it seems the truck shifts too soon (at least that's my perception) when accelerating from a stop (unless I just really get in the pedal) and feels sluggish, especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Sounds like this is as designed by GM and a tune would fix it. I'd probably go with DiabloSport I1000 or something (I looked up the Blackbear and it's just too expensive for my wallet). From what I am reading, even one of the basic built-in tunes would make a difference...right?

For some reason I can't copy and past on this sight. But you can read what I posted in "Warranty vs Tune" thread.

For some reason I can't copy and past on this sight. But you can read what I posted in "Warranty vs Tune" thread.

Sorry to be difficult but I just searched all forums on here (from back at the main forums page, to get everything) and the search phrase you listed did not find such a thread - it linked to this one. Sorry. Unless I'm not doing it right but I used the search box at the top from the main forums page. I also tried it without vs in between (in case it was different) and still got nothing.

Sorry to be difficult but I just searched all forums on here (from back at the main forums page, to get everything) and the search phrase you listed did not find such a thread - it linked to this one. Sorry. Unless I'm not doing it right but I used the search box at the top from the main forums page. I also tried it without vs in between (in case it was different) and still got nothing.

Your not being difficult, don't sweat it. Click on my screen name and look for posts I've made. I didn't start the thread, sorry.

Your not being difficult, don't sweat it. Click on my screen name and look for posts I've made. I didn't start the thread, sorry.

OK, found it now - not sure why I couldn't earlier but I'm still learning how this particular forum software works. Sounds like a tune won't cause an issue as far as warranty goes, which is good. I'm considering a Diablo Intune. But someone mentioned an "update" at the dealership that was done when they had theirs in for service. I don't remember which thread it was but he stated it appeared on his invoice and he noticed a difference. I'm sure it just changes the shift points a little. Anyway, leaning toward the Diablo Intune if I can find one for a decent price (translation: a good deal).

Thanks for the help.

OK, found it now - not sure why I couldn't earlier but I'm still learning how this particular forum software works. Sounds like a tune won't cause an issue as far as warranty goes, which is good. I'm considering a Diablo Intune. But someone mentioned an "update" at the dealership that was done when they had theirs in for service. I don't remember which thread it was but he stated it appeared on his invoice and he noticed a difference. I'm sure it just changes the shift points a little. Anyway, leaning toward the Diablo Intune if I can find one for a decent price (translation: a good deal).

Thanks for the help.

Your welcome.

Archived