5th Oil Change?

Getting ready for my 5th oil change. The first 4 were done at GM dealership, this one is on me. Typically I run Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance oil and an AC Delco oil filter on my wife's suburban and planning to go this route on my truck too. Would running this out to 15K miles be a bad idea - the label claims "15,000 miles of guaranteed performance". I've been changing at 10K/1year on the burb but I'm putting 20K miles on my truck every year. Let me know your thoughts please.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oil and filters .... everyone has an opinion. AC is thought to be pretty good for most. Wix seems to be very well liked.

As for your oil changes.. I would base it on the oil meter.. but probably no more than 13-15K regardless.

These engines, oil and filters are light years ahead of the stuff from year past. Yet many are still hard wired to change it every 3-5K..

When I had my 06 trailblazer ss it had Mobil one. The manual said the oil change light would come on between 12-15 K, I adverage around 13k. In the mid 90s I had a z 28 that ran Amsoil 20-50, changed the oil every 25k. We kept that car 8 years, my wife put 60 K on it my 16 year old son put 60k on it and later it became my toy I put 30 K on it. Sold it to a friend of my son he put 20 K on it before he totaled it. We were dealers for Amsoil so analyzing was done. I could give many examples, extended oil drains are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback Gents. I typically purchase my oil and filters from my local wally word. So options oil filter options are FRAM, AC Delco, Bosh, Mopar, Purolator have seen some K&N but not sure if they carry the size I need.

The claimed 15k guaranteed protection comes with a little asterisk that says "or when the vehicle's oil life monitoring system says to change it". So in the slim chance something does happen, Mobil 1 won't guarantee anything.

As for filters, I only run the Mobil 1 filter with the EP oil. They are both on the 15k guarantee plan. As for intervals, I do mine every 7500 as stated by GM. I tow a lot and I'm also very hard on my truck so the added peace of mind is there. I can usually get 5 quarts of EP and a Mobil 1 filter for around $35 when my local parts stores run oil specials and then just pick up another jug at wally world for $26

The claimed 15k guaranteed protection comes with a little asterisk that says "or when the vehicle's oil life monitoring system says to change it". So in the slim chance something does happen, Mobil 1 won't guarantee anything.

As for filters, I only run the Mobil 1 filter with the EP oil. They are both on the 15k guarantee plan. As for intervals, I do mine every 7500 as stated by GM. I tow a lot and I'm also very hard on my truck so the added peace of mind is there. I can usually get 5 quarts of EP and a Mobil 1 filter for around $35 when my local parts stores run oil specials and then just pick up another jug at wally world for $26

So how does the oil life monitoring system sample the oil and determine when it needs changed? Or is it just based on mileage/driving habits?

So how does the oil life monitoring system sample the oil and determine when it needs changed? Or is it just based on mileage/driving habits?

Not sure,but doubt it's very scientific. As for trying to go the max mileage length per the type of oil. As posted, your oil life monitor more than likely won't go that far. Normal driving conditions in 6,000 mile, my monitor was down to 19%.

The ACDelco filter will do just fine to 10k as will the oil. Any farther and I would send in an oil sample to make sure.

If you want to run 15k with no issues then you could go with AMSOIL's Signature Series oil and a Ea15k filter for your truck.

Archived