Spring Clamps Reduce Rear Vibration

Hi all,

I have seen on a few different forums (mainly in the shake and vibration thread) that spring clamps put on the rear leaf spring have solved or 80%+ reduced some of the members vibrations at highway speeds. Some members had positive results placing the clamps in front of the axle while others had luck placing them behind the axle. Rather than having to ask in each forum I figured I would start a new topic and get an idea of which placement is the most effective.

To help, if you would post the following we can get a general consensus as a starting point for people wanting to try this.

Info should include the following:

1) in front or behind axle

2) how far (inches) to axle and/or blocks

3) how much did you torque them down

4) what shocks do you have

5) 2wd or 4wd

6) Cab style and bed length

7) empty bed or loaded down

8) did the spring clamps actually help (around town, highway vibration, any positive characteristics you might have noticed by adding them)

9) any additional info - did you try in front and rear and which one was better?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Edited by hotrodz37
  • Like 2

I believe they should also include the body style and bed size of the truck. I moved the other topic but saw you recreated it so I deleted it. I'm also going to pin it to the top

I just added it, I was thinking about that when I went to bed last night, thanks for pinning to the top - greatly appreciate it! :thumbs:

Edited by hotrodz37
  • Like 1

2015 Denali 5.3 Magnetic Ride Suspension

Crew Cab 5.8 bed. lowered on drop shackles and removed the leaf spring block

torqued them down as much as I could 6 inches ahead of axle

so far my brother says it stopped most of the vibrations, and that its pretty smooth now. ill post my personal thoughts on it tomorrow

abaf05bcee61b5f5a265aeb835127bcb.jpg

0343c96d1e32da3bd3ec6c8ccf96e174.jpg

1) front of axle
2) 5.5"
3) Until it felt comfortable at least two of the springs are touching/compressed.
4) Bilstein 5100s
5) 4wd

6) DC 6 foot
7) empty bed
8) Helps with the major bumps but hurts with the minor bumps - didn't have vibration to begin with so no comment there. The truck seems to not like highway roads every once in a while now - The truck feels like its teeter tottering very quickly back and forth; I had this happen one time pulling a trailer with an older Dodge Dakota (I blamed it on the wheelbase and lightness of the truck).
9) haven't tried anything else yet but I want to try as close to the axle as possible and removing the left one and keeping the right one.

Part 13-1401A will work. 2.5" leaf spring.

Thanks for the info. Just stopped by auto zone and picked them up from there. Will install and report back

Part 13-1401A will work. 2.5" leaf spring.

Thanks for the info. Just stopped by auto zone and picked them up from there. Will install and report back
  • Like 2

1) in front axle

2)Placed them about 6" in front of the axle

3) I didn't use a TQ wrench, just till I had them tight and the assist spring under load

4) Shocks - Standard/Stock Shocks

5) 4wd

6) Cab style and bed length- Extended Cab/ Standard Bed

7) empty bed
8) The springs seem to have definitely helped, truck seems soother at all MPH but it did not completely remove the vibration i had at 60-75mph. I'd say it was about a 80% reduction. 100% WORTH IT and a lot better than it was

9) I did not try in rear of the axle but my truck does have the Max Trailering Package so idk if i have different shocks or rear leafs in the back compared to a standard truck

Pics

Heres the clamps i used from AutoZone for 16.99

9rnEN8M.jpg

And this is where they are on the truck

Ha80rdF.jpg

• Like 2

I plan on doing this when it warms up.

Those placing the clamps ahead of the axle:

Did you take the wheels off to install them? It looks like it might be awkward to get them on with the wheels on.

For that reason, I was thinking of trying them behind the axle to start off.

Thanks for the info fullboost! I wound up taking mine off for the week and torquing the ubolts down to 110 ft/lbs and bumping my air pressure up to 38 and my truck is as smooth as it's ever been. I haven't had it out on the highway yet but it's definitely better around town. I think torquing them that tight is essentially like putting a spring clamp on compressing the spring a little more. I might put my clamps back on the rear and report back but am hesitant to since its riding so well lately and don't want to mess it up.

I am curious if anyone else has tried them in the rear though and how that effected it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan on doing this when it warms up.

Those placing the clamps ahead of the axle:

Did you take the wheels off to install them? It looks like it might be awkward to get them on with the wheels on.

For that reason, I was thinking of trying them behind the axle to start off.

You can get them on without having to take the wheels off. Just gotta get under the truck , pretty easy mod, might take 10 mins or less with an impact gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk