Are California Emissions Different?

I am considering trading in my 2015 Denali 1500 6.2 for a 2016 Denali 2500HD Duramax.

I currently live in Kalifornia, but should be permanently living back in my home state of Michigan by August or September.

I could wait until then, but I really want the new truck now.

My question is, are Kalifornia emissions any different on the Duramax vs. Michigan? Will I lose or gain anything at all by ordering it here vs. waiting until I get back to Michigan?

Thanks.

i posted this in the 2500 forum, but thinking there are a lot of knowledgeable peoples here as well.

I am considering trading in my 2015 Denali 1500 6.2 for a 2016 Denali 2500HD Duramax.

I currently live in Kalifornia, but should be permanently living back in my home state of Michigan by August or September.

My question is, are Kalifornia emissions any different on the diesel vs. Michigan/rest of the U.S.A? Will I lose or gain anything at all (MPG, HP, TQ, etc.) by ordering it here vs. waiting until I get back to Michigan?

Thanks.

No. Nothing changes. If you wait you may find a decent discount on one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

With GM employee discount and huge incentives when I purchased the truck in July 2015, trade in right now is nearly what I paid for the truck. I'm afraid in a few more months I won't get as much in trade when more 2016s are on the road and 2017s are on the horizon.

i posted this in the 2500 forum, but thinking there are a lot of knowledgeable peoples here as well.

My question is, are Kalifornia emissions any different on the diesel vs. Michigan/rest of the U.S.A? Will I lose or gain anything at all (MPG, HP, TQ, etc.) by ordering it here vs. waiting until I get back to Michigan?

Thanks.

As far as stock vehicles go they are no different. It is once you start to mod you have to be carb compliant.

Would seem silly if the trucks were restricted more in cali when bought new then a neighboring state.

I wouldn't worry about it until you start to put aftermarket performance parts on it.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

As far as stock vehicles go they are no different. It is once you start to mod you have to be carb compliant.

Would seem silly if the trucks were restricted more in cali when bought new then a neighboring state.

I wouldn't worry about it until you start to put aftermarket performance parts on it.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

On that note, it would only be registered here for a few months before I put Michigan plates on it. So I would never have to worry about a single inspection here before I took it back home.

There is some kind of difference as GM still builds vehicles with three different emissions systems- Federal, Cali and one that is Cali plus the other stupid states that adopted their regs. I can't find what the difference is though. I don't know if it'll help any but when I was at Hyundai we'd occasionally get Cali compliant models because New Hampshire is surrounded by states that use it and those had a catalytic converter with a different composition and the O2 sensor actually monitored for like 6 different compounds.

There is some kind of difference as GM still builds vehicles with three different emissions systems- Federal, Cali and one that is Cali plus the other stupid states that adopted their regs. I can't find what the difference is though. I don't know if it'll help any but when I was at Hyundai we'd occasionally get Cali compliant models because New Hampshire is surrounded by states that use it and those had a catalytic converter with a different composition and the O2 sensor actually monitored for like 6 different compounds.

Yeah nobody will advertise it, but this is what I am looking for in-depth info on. I plan to mod it down the line and don't want extra codes or extra components or restrictions holding me back or costing extra money to get around.

Having to deal with CARB, I would only probably mess with the EGR. A simple tune modification can shut down EGR function, no codes. No need to take a wrench to anything. And the motor will like it better and the downstream stuff will last longer. Making a diesel engine eat it's own feces is just about the most stupid thing they ever came up with. Increases soot, cooling requirements, and host of other negative things. If one needs to go in for a smog check, just restore the stock settings for the test. I would first try it with the EGR turned off and see if the SCR unit is doing all that needs to be done to control NOx emissions. After all, that is all the EGR function was put on to do, reduce NOx. With the advent of SCR and it's DEF fluid stuff to reduce NOx, EGR has been dialed back considerably on diesels, but still not turned off. I would just turn it off.

While there is some difference in emissions settings for California vs the rest of the country when it comes to gas engines, diesel engine emissions stuff is uniform across the U.S. now.

Im sure cali diesels are the same now. In like 03 or so the diesels needed a cat. On the gas size trucks like mine with a 6.0 got pre-cats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I would think sales taxes alone would motivate you to wait to buy Michigan...

6% in Michigan vs. 8% in Kalifornia. There is no trade-in exemption here, but in Michigan I think it's up to $3500 now of your trade-in value is tax-free and the rest is taxed. So a difference of around $1400 for the truck I want. That is pretty compelling I agree.

My lawn mower is illegal in the state of California. The factory sticker tells me that. I still can't find a reason why anyone would willingly choose to live there.

I agree. NOT BY CHOICE!

post-141141-0-77743700-1455218776.jpg

Archived