Emergency Brake

My Brother in Law owns a 2000 Chevy Suburban 1500. He went to set his emergency brake on the vehicle and when he pushed the brake pedal down there was no resistance at all...this worried him so he tried to move the vehicle in the brake position and it rolled freely. What should I look for and do to fix this problem? Is there some linkage that needs adjustment? Please Help.

I've got the same problem on a 2000 Yukon XL.  I don't normally use the parking break, and discovered it didnt' work by chance, well after the warranty had expired.  I've looked (just a little) and haven't found a way to adjust it.  I'd be interested in an answer to this one too!

If they are like the trucks, on the drivers side, near the frame, you'll see where a single cable meets the two cables for the rear wheels.  There is a nut you can adjust to tighten it up some.  There is also a dial or something inside the drum portion of the rear rotor that will tighten them up.  I'm not to familiar with the piece inside the park brake drum.  Haven't even seen it, yet.  I'm sure someone else can help though.

Notes  

Brakes - Scraping Noise From Rear of Vehicle

File In Section: 05 - Brakes

Bulletin No.: 02-05-26-002

Date: October, 2002

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Scraping Noise From Rear Of Vehicle

(Replace Parking Brake Shoe Kit and Clean Drum In Hat Rotor)

Models:

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series Pickups

2000-2003 Chevrolet Tahoe 1500 Series Models

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Series Models

1999-2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Series Pickups

2000-2003 GMC Yukon 1500 Series Models

Condition

Some customers may comment on a scraping noise from the rear of the vehicle while driving. The noise may be intermittent.

Cause

Condition may due to the parking brake shoe contacting the drum in hat rotor without the parking brake being applied, causing premature wear on the shoe lining.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

another gm screw up. parking brake system sux already replaced my parking brakes and rotors and the tsb does not fix the problem!

ct

:)

If you have 4 wheel disc brakes, you need to pull the rear rotors to adjust the ebrake shoes.  There is a star adjuster that you can use to spread the shoes a little.   THis assuming you still have plenty of pad left.  Poor design if you ask me.

Same thing happened to my 02 Sierra after 8 months.  I didn't worry about it until I lifted my truck.  Then while having the oil changed I asked to have them adjusted.  I think it cost me about $40-$60 (I know I know) but they did need to completely disassemble the rear disk brakes and adjust something.  So since I&'m not mechanically inclined I had the pros do it for me.  Works better than new.  Besides I didn't like the weight of my truck resting on my tranny.   :)

If they are like the trucks, on the drivers side, near the frame, you'll see where a single cable meets the two cables for the rear wheels.  There is a nut you can adjust to tighten it up some.  There is also a dial or something inside the drum portion of the rear rotor that will tighten them up.  I'm not to familiar with the piece inside the park brake drum.  Haven't even seen it, yet.  I'm sure someone else can help though.

Wonder if this works...I see it under the tahoe, and the cable actually feels loose...

Archived