2016 Silverado HD = HID Headlights?

There is a discussion going on over on the 1500 site of this forum and a few comments have been made about 2016 HDs having HID projector headlamps. So this got me thinking if my 2016 Silverado HD has HIDs lamps.

I have searched the web and found that the Sierras have HIDs, but I cannot find anything conclusive about the Silverados.

Read through the owners manual as well and for bulb replacement is says to see the dealer, so no part # given. It also says that the trucks have either a sealed halogen bulb or sealed HID bulb. Nice non-committal and non-definitive answer.

2015+ HD are halogen projector with stacked low/high beam. Sierra HD 2015 is halogen single bulb low/high projector, 2016 they are HID single bulb low/high projector.

You'd know if you had HID as the light projected on the road would be that 5000k-6000k range blueish white on the road.

There is a discussion going on over on the 1500 site of this forum and a few comments have been made about 2016 HDs having HID projector headlamps. So this got me thinking if my 2016 Silverado HD has HIDs lamps.

I have searched the web and found that the Sierras have HIDs, but I cannot find anything conclusive about the Silverados.

Read through the owners manual as well and for bulb replacement is says to see the dealer, so no part # given. It also says that the trucks have either a sealed halogen bulb or sealed HID bulb. Nice non-committal and non-definitive answer.

As said up above it is easy to tell because hid would be a much cleaner looking "and more importantly twice as bright" white light as opposed to the yellowish color of halogens.

Well they definitely seem bright, clean, and crisp, but not necessarily better than my '15 GMC 1500 was, so it's hard to tell (I don't think the '15 GMC had HIDs).

But they are certainly WAY better than my old Explorer ever was!!

Post a picture and we can tell you. my 2016 Silverado LT has HID's. Like they said above its a very crisp bright white light. Also look at your stick that came with your truck and it can tell you.

Post a picture and we can tell you. my 2016 Silverado LT has HID's. Like they said above its a very crisp bright white light. Also look at your stick that came with your truck and it can tell you.

Neither my window sticker nor my build sheet indicate HIDs or halogens.

I saw a 2016 Silvy last night (first one I have seen at night) and could definitely tell it had HIDs. So I am going to assume mine does not have them.

Neither my window sticker nor my build sheet indicate HIDs or halogens.

I saw a 2016 Silvy last night (first one I have seen at night) and could definitely tell it had HIDs. So I am going to assume mine does not have them.

Only the 1500 Silverado for 2016 has HID or LED (LTZ and High Country only) headlights. HD are still on the halogen projector low beam, reflector high beam.

Southpaw= You have halogens in projectors for hi and low beams. Halogen is used for all lights except the HID's. You probably have Phillips or Osram bulbs. I put some Xenon 5800k bulbs in mine I bought on ebay for 14 a set. I didnt go HID route.

The 2016 Chevy HD's are really unchanged from the 2015.

People like the Retro Source for HID's. I installed a set of XD5 Xenons (from ebay) and they are brighter than the OEM halogens. Just plug n play....

Good to know! Thanks!!!

Archived