2016 Sierra Denali on 2" lowering shackles

Vu You

• 7 months later...
Trying to revive this topic...... Can someone compare the options of removing the leaf spring blocks, adding shackles, or doing both?
I presume removing the block is the quickest/easiest.....so how much drop will that buy me?
If you remove the blocks I believe you need to buy longer u bolts. If you flip the block from under the leaf springs to the top of the leaf springs you don't need longer u bolts.
This truck is not a Denali but it has a total of 3 inches drop out back7cac1605990c435aadf0adc86e74e9a1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Trying to revive this topic...... Can someone compare the options of removing the leaf spring blocks, adding shackles, or doing both?
I presume removing the block is the quickest/easiest.....so how much drop will that buy me?
I am with Kevin on this revive...I will have to deal with Magride as well. Looking for a total of around 2" drop in the rear...want a little rake for towing 5000 lb rv trailer occasionally. With the current set up I have on drop about 1/2" with weight distribution and trailer. I was told rather than changing the physical location of Magride sensor I could have the dealer do a sensor recalibration and move on. I am open to either though.

I have been looking at the sulastic drop shackles...extra cost over normal drop shackles but also adds an additional like shock absorber to the leaf springs regarding bumps etc....many positive reviews and a few not so positive but overall seems semi expense with some great gains.

Is it smoother to leave the original block and do the drop shackles or remove the block only? Anyone with experience let us know please. I just don't like the high amount of rake and would like to balance it some.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you remove the blocks I believe you need to buy longer u bolts. If you flip the block from under the leaf springs to the top of the leaf springs you don't need longer u bolts.
This truck is not a Denali but it has a total of 3 inches drop out back7cac1605990c435aadf0adc86e74e9a1.jpg

Do you happen to know the size of the u bolts? I'm out of thread and need to order new ones. Thanks

Do you happen to know the size of the u bolts? I'm out of thread and need to order new ones. Thanks

No I don't. My dad didn't want to go through the hassle of getting new u bolts so he had the shop flip the block to the top of the leaf springs.

• 3 months later...
On 2/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, SirenRed16 said:

No I don't. My dad didn't want to go through the hassle of getting new u bolts so he had the shop flip the block to the top of the leaf springs.

So all he did was flip the block? Didn’t touch the shackles? Thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys, I just picked up a new 2018 Sierra Denali and am looking to lower the rear by 1.5'-2" and would really like to calm the back down if possible.  The truck rides very smooth, but there is some vibration coming from the rear at highway speeds.  Will a 2" shackle with shock extenders do the trick to make it ride smoother?  This is the part I'm contemplating: https://www.suspensionsuperstore.com/2015-2018-gmc-sierra-denali-1500-2wd-4wd-2-rear-leveling-kit-prs-152l/

Any feedback would be very much appreciated!

Edited by nv6425

Only way to be sure how yours tows is to load it and find out.

I did the 1.5" drop shackles only and tow a toy hauler. I Installed airbags and just measured the height before loading the trailer. After trailer was loaded aired up the bags to get back all the sag plus a bit ~60psi. Rides very solid and smooth.

5 hours ago, Pearl2017 said:

Only way to be sure how yours tows is to load it and find out.

I did the 1.5" drop shackles only and tow a toy hauler. I Installed airbags and just measured the height before loading the trailer. After trailer was loaded aired up the bags to get back all the sag plus a bit ~60psi. Rides very solid and smooth.

That's very helpful. Can you share which shackles you went with for Mag Ride?

I don't have mag ride so all i did were some $45 shackles on amazon. As someone else noted that lowered mag shocks. the shocks got stiff as the sensors thought there was a heavy load just due to the lowered position with no trailer. But if you use the kit in the link you're basically lowering the truck and the shocks so the sensors wont notice it is lowered.

The air bags will neutralize the additional trailer tongue weight so the rear wont sag horribly and possibly bottom out. With the load supported properly on the springs and bags the shocks can stay in a place where they can do effective progressive damping for a smooth ride. Without a trailer and the bags at min inflation it rides great as well.

Edited by Pearl2017
  • Like 2