Wireless Charging Pad in 2016 Sierrra HD Console TOO SMALL!!

hey guys, i just bought and installed one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/wireless-charging-charger-Silverado-FDMC-1270/dp/B00VU1FWO2

install was about an hour, was pretty easy. and it works great.

heres a pic of my install:

13312617_10157142281055713_5205878616366

also, bought it for only 150 on savinglots.com

How do you like it? It seems to fill in the slot completely, i kinda like the slot as it keeps things from sliding off. Plus for $150, it seems a lot when people have done their hacks for like than $30 or $40 to do a similar thing.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it. It's still recessed, its just the angle of the picture. Its a much larger charging mat so it doesn't need to be precisely in one spot. And it's very anti slip

I believe this thread was about the charging pad being too small, then it went to retrofitting trucks with larger pads from other GM vehicles. This pad is larger. And what's the big deal anyways?

My wife's iPhone 6 fits with a charger case on. She has a '16 suburban. My 6s Plus does not fit with or without a case as eluded in this post.

I understand the Escalade has adopted a larger charger area to address this problem, but likely will take a Year Model or two to have this "convenience" trickle down to GMC And further Chevrolet. It's a bummer, cause travel a lot and would like to utilize the feature of not having wires and keeping the phone topped off. I guess the iPhone needs to be tethered USB to use CarPlay in the infotainment anyway and couldn't use the wireless charger pad

time as my wife anyway so i am content at this point since it is primarily her car. My Silverado is 1 year too old to have the charger in the armrest, so I guess I'll wait to trade till they make the pad bigger. I think this is a big overlook by GM at this point cause as the responses above show, there are s lot of us that use the large screen phones, albeit android or Apple. Nonetheless this is an awesome option to have even if they designed it before the larger phones became prominent. If only Apple would integrate this into their phones so we didn't need a receiver case!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

I believe this thread was about the charging pad being too small, then it went to retrofitting trucks with larger pads from other GM vehicles. This pad is larger. And what's the big deal anyways?

My wife's iPhone 6 fits with a charger case on. She has a '16 suburban. My 6s Plus does not fit with or without a case as eluded in this post.

I understand the Escalade has adopted a larger charger area to address this problem, but likely will take a Year Model or two to have this "convenience" trickle down to GMC And further Chevrolet. It's a bummer, cause travel a lot and would like to utilize the feature of not having wires and keeping the phone topped off. I guess the iPhone needs to be tethered USB to use CarPlay in the infotainment anyway and couldn't use the wireless charger pad

time as my wife anyway so i am content at this point since it is primarily her car. My Silverado is 1 year too old to have the charger in the armrest, so I guess I'll wait to trade till they make the pad bigger. I think this is a big overlook by GM at this point cause as the responses above show, there are s lot of us that use the large screen phones, albeit android or Apple. Nonetheless this is an awesome option to have even if they designed it before the larger phones became prominent. If only Apple would integrate this into their phones so we didn't need a receiver case!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Even without the case, my 6 plus does not fit in the current standard charger. I was told by GM Engineers that the size and design was done 2 years ago, and they went with the three or four most popular phones at that time. I still think they should have know enough to give it some headroom for upcoming phones. The fact that the iPhone 6 Plus was out before they released the trucks with this charger is a huge fail in my book!!

Typical useless keyboard cowboy reply. What I choose to use for a phone is nowhere near a tablet, and probably 90% of the current smartphones are this size. ';m trying to make a point that when this feature was added to the truck, these phones were already on the market and popular. Now, go find your 2" flip phone and call someone that cares about your smart ass attitude.

You are getting a little mad there sir. But BTW I have a galaxy s7. One of the biggest phones and mine still fits fine. You have a tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The biggest trend in cell phones is large phones such as the iPhone plus.. Besides the point that the phone should be able to fit, GM should at least offer a replacement part to fix the problem.

The biggest trend in cell phones is large phones such as the iPhone plus.. Besides the point that the phone should be able to fit, GM should at least offer a replacement part to fix the problem.

I don't know if they can get any bigger than they are now, it is already hard enough to keep them in your pocket. But I do agree it would be nicer for gm to offer the option. Hopefully in next year's model.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This thread is about the 2016 Sierra/Silverado Wireless Charging pad Specifically. not a retrofit on older ones.

The option can still work on 2016 trucks just as well as older models. As I imagine I could get this option from the 2016 and fit it in my 2014 as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

just remove about 10 screws, drill 6 holes, tap into wiring into cigarette outlet in console. took me an hourish. had to run to lowes to get tap splices, that was the only delay.

• 1 month later...

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 I am trying to use in my 2016 Sierra 1500. I have the same problem as described here. After some investigation I found several issues with the charging pad the prevent the wireless receiver in the phone from make making an adequate inductive coupling connection to the wireless transmitter in the console.

1. The size/shape of the cut-out in the console prevent the phones receiver from being positioned directly over the consoles transmitter. There is only a small tollerence to achieve this coupling.

2. The ribbed lines on the rubber charging mat raise the phone. For inductive coupling to occur the receiver and transmitter need to be in very close proximity to one another. I don't know the exact spec, but 1/8" or less seems to be the norm. This ribbed design already raises the phone up half that

3. The raised areas on bothe end of the charging pad raise the phone about 1/4"..see item 2

4. The charging pads area is exceptionally small. A larger effective area would provide a greater tolerance to align the phones receiver's antenna pad on more modern and typically larger phones

The GM design is outdated and will only support smaller phones or larger phones that have either an exceptionally large receiver antenna or just by chance happen to line up well with the transmitter's antenna. Come on GM, a system offered on a 2016 vehicle should work with popular phone for the same time period or older!

I am going to look into either repositioning the transmitter to align with my phones receiver or trim the rubber mat's ribs and raised portions ( areas on the top and bottom) so my phone will align and lay flat. Both are a bit risky and I really hate trying this on a brand new $50k truck. If I decide to go forward I will post my results. Bottom line..Pull your head out GM and fix this for customers

Archived