Wireless Charging Pad in 2016 Sierrra HD Console TOO SMALL!!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 I am trying to use in my 2016 Sierra 1500. I have the same problem as described here. After some investigation I found several issues with the charging pad the prevent the wireless receiver in the phone from make making an adequate inductive coupling connection to the wireless transmitter in the console.

1. The size/shape of the cut-out in the console prevent the phones receiver from being positioned directly over the consoles transmitter. There is only a small tollerence to achieve this coupling.

2. The ribbed lines on the rubber charging mat raise the phone. For inductive coupling to occur the receiver and transmitter need to be in very close proximity to one another. I don't know the exact spec, but 1/8" or less seems to be the norm. This ribbed design already raises the phone up half that

3. The raised areas on bothe end of the charging pad raise the phone about 1/4"..see item 2

4. The charging pads area is exceptionally small. A larger effective area would provide a greater tolerance to align the phones receiver's antenna pad on more modern and typically larger phones

The GM design is outdated and will only support smaller phones or larger phones that have either an exceptionally large receiver antenna or just by chance happen to line up well with the transmitter's antenna. Come on GM, a system offered on a 2016 vehicle should work with popular phone for the same time period or older!

I am going to look into either repositioning the transmitter to align with my phones receiver or trim the rubber mat's ribs and raised portions ( areas on the top and bottom) so my phone will align and lay flat. Both are a bit risky and I really hate trying this on a brand new $50k truck. If I decide to go forward I will post my results. Bottom line..Pull your head out GM and fix this for customers

Before messing with the truck, I'd suggest getting a different receiver. I also have a S5 in a Spigen Slim Armor case. I have the receiver linked below. I have zero charging issues, with the case on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U901B54/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i2vIxb0JY6212

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any further updates to this post? any clear photos on the replacement armrest from the Cadillac for the 2016 GMC Denali trucks. I have a Samsung 7 edge and tis a hit or miss.

Chuck

PAE

Just so you guys know the Samsung s5, s6, and s7 edge all fit the wireless charger. My s7 edge even fits with the low profile case on it but doesn't charge well with it. I was really excited about this feature but honestly I usually end up putting my phone in the channels in front of the usb/12v/120v outlets.

Are you SURE the S7 Edge fits? I know mine doesn't! :nonod: Even without a case (which is nuts) it just BARELY gets close enough to even TRY and fit.

Even without the case, my 6 plus does not fit in the current standard charger. I was told by GM Engineers that the size and design was done 2 years ago, and they went with the three or four most popular phones at that time. I still think they should have know enough to give it some headroom for upcoming phones. The fact that the iPhone 6 Plus was out before they released the trucks with this charger is a huge fail in my book!!

I agree!

The iPhone 6 Plus was out before this backwards design hit the lots. Not to mention the charger doesn't even have enough juice to actually CHARGE any newer phone. (Amps/coils/etc.)

You are getting a little mad there sir. But BTW I have a galaxy s7. One of the biggest phones and mine still fits fine. You have a tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Maybe I should have gotten the S7, instead of the S7 Edge last month. I know it doesn't charge no matter what.

Can't say I would recommend the OEM charger unless you have a Galaxy S6 and then probably without a case on it.

I bought a brand new S7 Edge on July 4th thinking it would work with the brand new truck that I was getting the next week...WRONG!!!!!! :(

There are plenty of threads out there about how the charger doesn't work with various phones.

Although... I ***CAN*** get it to work with my S7 Edge providing the sun is in the west, I take the case off, turn it around and have it face the back of the truck, push it ever so slightly up onto the rear lip, put my left index finger in my right ear, hold my right leg up, (while I use my left leg for the gas pedal), face the east, don't go over ANY bumps... and touch my right ear with my tongue!!!! LOL

I kid you not!!emoji15.png

Had the tech try and get it to work and he couldn't. Then he popped his S6 (non edge, no case), on the console and HIS charged, AS LONG AS HE DIDN'T BUMP IT. So I was then informed "It works".

Me thinks NOT. :(

Something about the newer phones needing a stronger charger.

I know I can get my S7 to charge in the Samsung charger in a thin case, and in a REALLY bulky Otter Box, no matter HOW it's sitting or turned.

For GM to sell a 2016 truck that doesn't work with 2015 OR 2016 phones is just ludicrous.

Are you SURE the S7 Edge fits? I know mine doesn't! :nonod: Even without a case (which is nuts) it just BARELY gets close enough to even TRY and fit.

I agree!

The iPhone 6 Plus was out before this backwards design hit the lots. Not to mention the charger doesn't even have enough juice to actually CHARGE any newer phone. (Amps/coils/etc.)

Maybe I should have gotten the S7, instead of the S7 Edge last month. I know it doesn't charge no matter what.

Can't say I would recommend the OEM charger unless you have a Galaxy S6 and then probably without a case on it.

I bought a brand new S7 Edge on July 4th thinking it would work with the brand new truck that I was getting the next week...WRONG!!!!!!

My s7edge fits no problem. IT charges either direction. With the case on it fits but the charges keep connecting/disconnecting about every 2 seconds.

In reality the wireless charger is a slow trickle charge. If your phone needs charged it's much better to just plug in. If your phone is running a app while on the wireless charger the phone can pretty hot. The wireless charger was a neat idea that I was excited to try but honestly I don't use it and wouldn't go through any trouble trying to make it work if my phone didn't fit.

I'll try to get a pic if you want to see my s7 fit.

My s7edge fits no problem. IT charges either direction. With the case on it fits but the charges keep connecting/disconnecting about every 2 seconds.

In reality the wireless charger is a slow trickle charge. If your phone needs charged it's much better to just plug in. If your phone is running a app while on the wireless charger the phone can pretty hot. The wireless charger was a neat idea that I was excited to try but honestly I don't use it and wouldn't go through any trouble trying to make it work if my phone didn't fit.

I'll try to get a pic if you want to see my s7 fit.

Well guess what I was saying is it might *lay* there, but as far as both fitting AND charging.... it just doesn't happen. Sure, I can put it there all day long. (Although in the Otter Box it'll NEVER charge on that thing.) I do have a thinner case that it'll never charge in (on that charger) as well.

The only way it'll even THINK about charging, (and as you said, every 2 seconds it stops) is without a case.

Now I can put it on the Samsung charger and it'll charge no matter WHAT it's in, or even if it's laying on a piece of cardboard! GM needs to SERIOUSLY update this charger! It wasn't offered as something free, it was a paid for option. One that's supposed to work on a new truck with a new phone, period.

Think I'm FINALLY getting the to fix my Lane Keep Assist this week though!

Small victories indeed. ;)

Ok I visited a Cadillac and took several photos on the armrest they have. The escalade 2016 version is slightly tear drop shape and my SamsungS7 Edge with a slip on case fits snug.. Compared to a Denali where my phone with its case wont fit.

This is the '16 esclade armrest.

20160809_164915_zpsnpvibojp.jpg

Here is the '16 Denali armrest

20160809_172907_zpskcz56ian.jpg

Now to the charging I set my phone with its slip on plastic case wnd it did not charge. I took the case off and bam!.... it started to change. It dropped once and restarted charging immediately.

My thought with any attached case on our phones it WILL NOT charge. the charging unit is too small and cannot cover the distance between the coils and the phone. I am planning on trying to pick up a '16 escalade armrest and try and mount a Samsung fast charger coils and see what happens. This armrest is preferred so it fits my entire phone with case. I may try and talk to a upholster to see if he could modify the Denali armrest to match a escalade. We will see and this will take time. Im in no hurry. I hope GM (I'm NOT holding my breath!) can find a fix or recall. NOT

Chuck

PAE

AA requires connection by cable to work.

I's assume it's the same for Carplay.

S7 charges fine, but phone needs to be towards the rear in the armrest station.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In case anyone cares...I have a Motorola Moto Z Force with the wireless charging moto mod and it fits...just fits. No case...Android Auto works plugged into the USB which I believe GM says it has to be to work.

• 6 months later...

In case anyone cares...I have a Motorola Moto Z Force with the wireless charging moto mod and it fits...just fits. No case...Android Auto works plugged into the USB which I believe GM says it has to be to work.

I just go the wireless charging mod and it does not wirelessly charge. I even tried re-pairing it. Still does not work. Any advice?

I just go the wireless charging mod and it does not wirelessly charge. I even tried re-pairing it. Still does not work. Any advice?

I have two different ones, The Tumi back with extended battery built in, works...the Motorola ones thats just the wireless charging attachment, does not work . I pulled the rubber mat out of the console and put the phone directly on the charger and it works. It appears GM did two things wrong....1) modern phone need 2 Amps to charge properly GMs charger is 1 AMP. It will work but slowly. 2) the mat is to thick. Some people have used a thinner piece of rubber with good results. This is just another area where GM had a good idea but failed in execution or more accurately failed to keep up with the technology.

I have two different ones, The Tumi back with extended battery built in, works...the Motorola ones thats just the wireless charging attachment, does not work . I pulled the rubber mat out of the console and put the phone directly on the charger and it works. It appears GM did two things wrong....1) modern phone need 2 Amps to charge properly GMs charger is 1 AMP. It will work but slowly. 2) the mat is to thick. Some people have used a thinner piece of rubber with good results. This is just another area where GM had a good idea but failed in execution or more accurately failed to keep up with the technology.

I have both as well, and the ext battery one does not work as well that is why i got this one...

Archived