GM To Offer Hybrid Trucks Again - Do You Want One?

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-96504100-1456432104_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2/25/2016

Back in 2012 GM dropped hybrid trucks. The General had given it a go and sales and margins were just not where the GM folks wanted them to be. Those drivetrains were mild hybrids, and these new ones will also be. Today, both GMC and Chevy announced eAssist trucks. The expected 13% gain in MPG City is not a huge jump, but let's be honest, trucks make sense as hybrids in many situations (not all). One situation they might be well suited for are work trucks that make most of their runs at low speeds in cities and towns. I worked out of a pickup every day for four years in exactly that situation, and our company used full-sized, rear-wheel GMC and Chevy drive trucks with 6-cylinder engines. We even towed trailers with that setup and they worked perfectly. For some, this truck could be a money-maker.

GM says the new systems will only add $500 to the cost of a 2016 Silverado 1500 crew cab in 1LT trim. GMC will add it to its 2016 Sierra 1500 SLT crew cab 2WD model with the SLT Premium Plus package. That truck will have a beefy Eaton locking rear Diff. and a 9,400 pound trailer rating. Silverado eAssist models will be matched to the 5.3L V8 and the Sierras will as well or with the 6.2L V8. Here is what GM says the trucks with eAssist can do:

◾Electric Power Boost: The on-board electric motor provides up to 13 hp and 44 lb-ft of supplemental power during acceleration and passing. The electric motor also enables the Active Fuel Management system on the 5.3L V-8 engine to operate in 4-cylinder mode for longer periods, resulting in additional fuel economy benefits.
◾Stop/Start capability: Added fuel savings are achieved by seamlessly turning the engine off when stopped at a traffic light or in congested traffic and turning the engine back on when the accelerator is pressed.
◾Regenerative Braking: By using the on-board electric motor as a generator, the energy recovered while braking is converted to electricity to recharge the onboard battery system.

Coupled with active cylinder management and aero enhancements the eAssist trucks will add 2 MPG to the all the mileage numbers of the trucks that get it. So figure for the 5.3L trucks 18 mpg City, 24 mpg Highway and a Combined 20 mpg rating.

GM is also not slinging any BS. This is a trial run and the trucks will all start out in California. If it works out it will expand. If not the program will be ended. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I wanted a hybrid, I'd buy a Prius.

That being said, my truck sits at home so I can drive a more fuel efficient car to work everyday. I do actually see where these could be a huge success, especially in the instance you just stated about yourself.

I'd be interested to see how these will be marketed.

What they should do is make a hybrid that uses an electric motor for drive with a small gas engine powering a generator for the battery so you don't have to stop and recharge.

With fuel under $2 you could hardly give these away

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep. Typical GM. Focus on making something when it makes no sense to do so, but yet they're afraid to even think of making a Raptor competitor.

In the long run the fuel prices will go up again.

And if not, everything else will get more expensive.

When I can save some money on fuel, I'm fine with that.

Nothing wrong with having an eye on the fuel mileage while driving a truck.

That being said, I wish GM would address more urgent matters first. Like rusting frames....

so long

j-ten-ner

As long as I could still get 4wd with the Z71 package, for $500 I'd probably get it. Nothing wrong with trying to stretch your dollar a little farther. I imagine at such a low initial cost, it would pay for itself pretty quickly even with prices at their current lows. You'd spend that plus more on an intake, exhaust, and programmer to probably get the same results for fuel economy.

Yep. Typical GM. Focus on making something when it makes no sense to do so, but yet they're afraid to even think of making a Raptor competitor.

Probably a trying to get every bit toward CAFE they can with the hybrid. That & pending location, they may make sense for unique applications.

Raptor seems a tough segment to compete in. How far do you go with it & keep it street legal? If it is not far enough, it won't sell. To far & it becomes too expensive & again, won't sell.

Probably a trying to get every bit toward CAFE they can with the hybrid. That & pending location, they may make sense for unique applications.

Raptor seems a tough segment to compete in. How far do you go with it & keep it street legal? If it is not far enough, it won't sell. To far & it becomes too expensive & again, won't sell.

The CAFE aspect hit me last night after I thought about it for a while. Definitely not a bad thing if it helps in that aspect.

The Raptor competitor is definitely a tough situation. Anyway you look at it people will cross shop GM's version with the Raptor, and a lot of people will choose the Raptor because it's a Ford alone. After all the diehard GM fans buy one then who's left?

It's just a let down because GM rarely ever tries anything really cool and off the wall. Dodge always offers cool options like dual exhaust etc. GM can't even make a cool commercial.

Lol great point. But for a 500 dollar add on, that doesn't sound so bad. plus if they can improve the mpg then it's great news. I wish you can buy it as an aftermarket add on as well.

I would really like a real alternative to the raptor.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

IF it got you 2 mpg (doubt it), over 100,000 miles @ $4/gal fuel, it'd "save" you $2780. But include TVM, and the fact that most vehicles are financed, and possible system maintenance, and people not wanting a used one due to as of yet unknown issues, I really doubt you'd truly save much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived