GM To Offer Hybrid Trucks Again - Do You Want One?

Gorehamj

I don't even want fuel injection ... let alone a hybrid. :D

I love my truck and the LS engines. I would not have an issue putting an Edelbrock Intake/Carb, but I'd run the ignition box to keep the coil packs and electronics. No more distributors for me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

part of what I dislike about my sierra is the milage but I was aware of what it would be when I got it. The main reason I do not have a more fuel efficient vehicle to drive around is parking at my house is pretty terrible. I would have to pour a pad just to make a spot even then it would always get blocked in. I have considered getting rid of it for just a car but I would miss it too much.

I have a guy I work with he gets 21mpg in his 1995 GMC Sierra 4WD, 350, and That is an average. It kills me that newer cars with all this tech do not do better than they do... Of course it is broken in well with the original motor and original Trans at 325,000 miles.

We get 23 MPG average out of our 5.0 V8 '86 Grand Marquis.

The $500 up charge on an otherwise $30,000 vehicle may seem enticing. Granted, 13HP and roughly 13% gain in MPG (Seem realistic, but reality often does not equal estimates.)

To make up $500 in fuel savings, let us do some math.

If you drive a 21mpg vehicle 20,000 miles, @$2.00/Gallon your annual cost in Gas is $1,904.76

If you drive a 24mpg vehicle 20,000 miles @$2.00/Gallon your annual cost in Gas is $1666.67

SO, if their estimates are accurate, then yes, indeed it would pay for itself in a year if you drive 20,000 miles.

If you drive a 21mpg vehicle 15,000 miles, @$2.00/Gallon your annual cost in Gas is $1428.57

If you drive a 24mpg vehicle 15,000 miles @$2.00/Gallon your annual cost in Gas is $1250.00

At this point it might still be a deal, because you would make it up in about 1.5 years, even at 10K miles it would pay for itself.

So if you needed a NEW truck it might be worth it... for only $500..

Add in the up charge in maintenance in a hybrid versus a conventional car. I bet that ROI is longer. Most competent car people can save a lot of money in doing basic or even intermediate work on their trucks themselves, throw in all the new electronics and the speciality tools needing to service them and again your spending more money in service.

Honest question what does a hybrid do to your insurance? Does it go up or down compared to a conventional truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add in the up charge in maintenance in a hybrid versus a conventional car. I bet that ROI is longer. Most competent car people can save a lot of money in doing basic or even intermediate work on their trucks themselves, throw in all the new electronics and the speciality tools needing to service them and again your spending more money in service.

Honest question what does a hybrid do to your insurance? Does it go up or down compared to a conventional truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 2004 Sierra 1500 4x4 Hybrid from Feb. 2005 to August 2015. All in all, it was a pretty reliable truck. I did have a hybrid battery fail shortly after buying the truck, but GM replaced it under warranty. After that, all the hybrid batteries lasted until I traded the truck in last Summer. There was no added maintenance due to it being a hybrid.

The hybrid components were essentially maintenance free and GM covered all the hybrid items for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

What finally did the truck in was the crappy cylinder heads GM used on the LM7 engines. My truck developed the cracked cylinder head issue that many GMT 800's suffered as they hit 100k on the clock. Otherwise, I'd still be driving my '04.

The auto start/stop feature was fairly unnoticeable, and the 120v GFI outlets in the cab and bed were nice-to-haves, although I never took advantage of them.

post-20572-0-25067500-1458348276_thumb.jpg

I have a guy I work with he gets 21mpg in his 1995 GMC Sierra 4WD, 350, and That is an average. It kills me that newer cars with all this tech do not do better than they do... Of course it is broken in well with the original motor and original Trans at 325,000 miles.

There are two major concerns with internal combustion engines that the manufacturer has to address. Emissions, and economy. Getting the two to be optimum at the same time has been a huge issue for decades. It is only in the past decade or so that they are finally starting to hit the numbers reliably. I doubt your friends will meet the emission standards that the 2016 engines must meet, and why would it. It was not designed to in the first place. Problem with emissions is that you can't see them, so everyone just forgets about them. How else did Volkswagen manage to do what they did for so long? Funny how everyone always has a friend with a vehicle that gets exceptional fuel mileage.

Back in the early 70's my parents bought a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 XL 4 door that came from Pasadena. First 4 door car I ever saw with buckets, console and a 4 speed. We were living in Peterborough ON in Canada. The owner retired to his summer residence and had brought this car up with him. Rust free, with the single 4bbl 427. I was just starting into cars then, and took great interest in this car. It would continually get 20mpg (Canadian gallon) in 90% city driving. That was with my mother driving. When I finally got to drive the car regularly it barely got 10mpg. Difference between a 16 year old male driver and a 40 year old female driver I guess. Rust took that car out in less than 10 years.

Archived