Oil Level Low Warning

Did they forget to reset the OLM when they changed the oil? Oil level and OLM have nothing to do with each other.

Very true. Devices like portable generators actually have a low oil shut down switch which will automatically cut off the engine if the oil level drops too low. this is to protect the engine which may run unattended for a long time. Normally cars and trucks ar e not equipped with such devices.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a '15 silverado, 5.3L v8.  I've got a couple thousand miles to go before I'm due for another oil change (I go about 5K per change).  I got the low oil level alert.  OLM's at 60% FYI.  I have not seen any oil spots in my driveway so hopefully there's no leak.  The other times it's been changed, I've gone as far as where the OLM is at 30%.  Never seen this alert before so why now?  I checked the oil cap to ensure it's on properly.

3 hours ago, Coop520 said:

I have a '15 silverado, 5.3L v8.  I've got a couple thousand miles to go before I'm due for another oil change (I go about 5K per change).  I got the low oil level alert.  OLM's at 60% FYI.  I have not seen any oil spots in my driveway so hopefully there's no leak.  The other times it's been changed, I've gone as far as where the OLM is at 30%.  Never seen this alert before so why now?  I checked the oil cap to ensure it's on properly.

Did you check the oil level with the dipstick?  Maybe look around the engine and underneath the truck for any sign of a leak?  You may want to install a catch can, as the oil may be going through the PCV system...

• 7 months later...
On 2/29/2016 at 11:37 AM, Kerrslight said:

I used to check the level after an oil change but I've been going to the same place for years and never had a problem. I will probably check after work and see what it looks like.

I see how that could be confusing. My reasoning for saying the oil life is at 70% is just me saying I didn't have the oil changed that long ago. I know it has nothing to do with level, but I figured since it hasn't been too long it must've burned a lot of oil, has a leak, or just wasn't filled properly. I drive about 30K a year so I've been doing some driving lol.

All in all I was just curious if anyone else had a low oil level warning not long after an oil change. I will check when I get home and if I find its low, I should be able to have the shop top it off.

My gmc does the same exact thing I was reading the comments up and with the adding 8 quarts instead of 6 imma try that but I even took my truck to the dealership and they couldn’t find anything wrong I’m at a little over 80000 miles and a 2016 so if anyone else knows why please let me know. Thank you for everyone with their thoughts ! 

11 minutes ago, Andrea k parmenter said:

My gmc does the same exact thing I was reading the comments up and with the adding 8 quarts instead of 6 imma try that but I even took my truck to the dealership and they couldn’t find anything wrong I’m at a little over 80000 miles and a 2016 so if anyone else knows why please let me know. Thank you for everyone with their thoughts ! 

If you have a 5.3 or 6.2 2016 1500 pickup its takes 8 quarts not 6 to begin with.  Hopefully you haven't been underfilling your truck this whole time...  

Edited by newdude

No they’ve been putting 8 I checked the paper work  i thought they told me 6 but my dip stick isn’t reading anything and my truck computer is saying add oil when I literally just got the oil change like I said I took it to the dealership they did their test ****** and they can’t find anything wrong with it so if anyone knows anything let me know and my truck I barley drive it so it’s not like I’m driving miles and miles a day 

Have they checked to see if the dipstick is in the correct position? Correct one for the truck?

What does your OLM say for a percentage after they change the oil?

Edited by JimCost2014