My own 8 speed problems & resolution

I might be trading this truck off... Just brought it to a job site about 40 minutes away and on cruise control the damn thing clunked itself at least 4 times. And not the small clunks... Large driveline clunks that jostle the entire vehicle. Frustrating.

Edited by JacobC1983
  • Like 1

Wow you have been such a good customer about this and they are still pulling this. 10 speed yea right lol Do corvettes clunk like this? Chevy needs to bring back a manual 6 speed it seems because they cant build automatic transmissions anymore.

• Like 1

go all lemon bro, unleash hell upon them.

this is screwed, badly!! trying to be a nice guy wont cut it for those damn greedy silhouettes of humans, even in this forum none of their representatives took the effort to reply.

So their fix is just a whole new transmission for 2017..... I bet they are putting the 10 speed in it ... Ford is putting the 10 speed in their trucks as well.

And if that 10 speed transmission happens to be troublesome, the fix is a new 2018 truck, with the same, slightly tweaked version of the 10 speed transmission? :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Oh my not expecting this from a company that was bailed out not too long ago with our tax dollars. And the die hard customers still buying GM vehicles. I hope GM does something that makes everyone happy. I am having the same clunking noise with my 6.2 High Country and also after sitting overnight when pulling out of the driveway the transmission seems to slip a bit then catches and take off. I will wait for now to take in but they do know about it through those GM survey's. I do see it strange that no one has called me. Keep giving info about this so others can keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is strange. The dealer did the T/C swap before I even had the truck. I drove if your 7500 km's and took it in for service, they reprogrammed the trans. while it was in. I had not noticed any negative attributes before or currently. I was very skeptical about this trans. before I bought it and my old school mentality really inspired me to rag on the new "more is better" mentality of the granola eating, tree huggin', Prius driving hippies at the EPA. With that said I really really like this trans. Mine has been great and I haven't experienced any of the symptoms described in this thread. Every now and again a lurch is felt when AFM goes from V8 to V4, or vise versa and you have your foot fluctuating and trick the programming, but no hard shifts or clunking under light or heavy romping. Has anyone tried a custom tune, or at the very least a quality after market programmer to see if that can clean up your shifts?

Well I'm another victim of GM's great 8sp. trans. Actually mine wasn't really giving me too much trouble until I took it in for the TCS update and my truck went crazy. I think they corrupted my computer. Drivers assist back up and all went bad. My RPM's were jumping 1500 to 2000 rpms at 45 mph with the cruise. Not 5 miles down the road it shuttered so bad it jerked the steering wheel out of my hand.

Now my truck has been in the shop all week with no reply except they tried to blame it on me for putting Denali 22in wheels on the truck. Said it would change the dynamics of the transmission. Needless to say my words weren't that great. Its a 4 wheel drive what the hell has happened. Wanted to know if I had a programmer for changing the tire size. I know what they are trying too pull on me, and told them so. They are really reaching for any excuse.

I could be another lemon victim. Really sucks I love the truck. I have a 30ft off shore racing boat and the 6.2 pulls it with ease.

I know now my truck will never be the same. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Also heard the Dodge 8sp was having issues also. An older gentleman I work with told me they are cramming too many gears in a small case and it won't work. Kinda makes since. I will keep updates if or when I get my $60,000 rolling turd back.

OH don't forget the latest recall on the seat belts. Read this yesterday on MSN. Several million vehicle's. 2014 and 2015 new still on the lots cannot be sold till the repair is done. It just keeps getting better.

they tried to blame it on me for putting Denali 22in wheels on the truck. Said it would change the dynamics of the transmission.

That's laughable since the 20 and 22s have the same overall diameter.

Edited by Dunc

Apparently a field service engineer is coming to check out my truck and go on a ride along with me in the coming couple of weeks.... this should be interesting.

Has anybody had a field service engineer come out and take a look at their truck? I was told this is part of the process to get trade assistance.

Edited by JacobC1983

Another bit of information:

My service manager called me and said while he was moving my truck in the morning, it had delayed engagement (yes I complained about that for a long time) and it was clunking in the 1-2 shift (also complained about this and it was supposedly taken care of with the new tranny). He then told me he looked into my truck service history further and the transmission that they replaced back in March was possibly NOT an updated transmission. WHAT THE HECK!!?? And they wanted to tear into it again to attempt a fix. It would be replacing some valves or something. At first I told him to go ahead and do it. Then it dawned on my this may be an attempt at stalling this whole buy back thing, and he even said it wasn't a guaranteed fix. I thought about it and called him back a couple hours later. I told him I was done. No more fixes, they had their chance, and I do not want to deal with this truck anymore.

I give him and the dealer credit. He took the time to look into this and was being honest with me. GM supplied the entirely new transmission, it wasn't a tear down and rebuild so I can't fault the dealer.

It's disheartening to hear about all these people having problems with little resolution. I really hope everyone gets theirs figured out.

I have been on the phone constantly with my dealer trying to work out a deal. I really don't want to take the time to lemon this thing. GM is counting on that too.

On the bright side, I contacted the GM executive office and I got a nice response from a lady that is going to help me with finding some resolution. I don't have my truck anymore, it is at the dealership. So this needs to be taken care of soon. Patience is starting to fade as anger sets in.

Edited by brendan4862

Apparently a field service engineer is coming to check out my truck and go on a ride along with me in the coming couple of weeks.... this should be interesting.

Has anybody had a field service engineer come out and take a look at their truck? I was told this is part of the process to get trade assistance.

There was no talk of me having a field service agent check out my truck. I had it in for service on the trans five times, I think that was enough to prompt a trade assist.

Lets face it all lie's and deception. My dealer is trying everything in the book to blame me. Its really pathetic they would stoop so low for GM.

They still have my truck, this is week 2. So lets think about that, truly how long does it take to program the computer. That just tells me that there is NOT a cure for our transmissions. It's going to take us the consumer to stand up for our rights and make GM figure something out. I smell a recall but the only one's suffering is us. Who knows how long it will take. Folks don't settle push it to the end, they expect us to give up and walk away. Lets face it the easy solution is to trade it in on something else but that's not the cure. I will ride my dealers ass till something is done. I don't give up.

I have no clue when I'm getting my truck back, but I told the service manager I want my truck shifting like it was right off the lot, that's what I paid for not a test machine. I'm 6' 6" and they gave me a regular cab with no gas at all. I'm so glad their on my side. The 2016 truck I'm driving around in shutters, not sure the tranny size but its a v6. So that tells me there's no fix in sight. My dealer says its a software problem and not the trans. Humm!!!!!!

I will let everyone know what happens if I ever get my truck back.

Another bit of information:

My service manager called me and said while he was moving my truck in the morning, it had delayed engagement (yes I complained about that for a long time) and it was clunking in the 1-2 shift (also complained about this and it was supposedly taken care of with the new tranny). He then told me he looked into my truck service history further and the transmission that they replaced back in March was possibly NOT an updated transmission. WHAT THE HECK!!?? And they wanted to tear into it again to attempt a fix. It would be replacing some valves or something. At first I told him to go ahead and do it. Then it dawned on my this may be an attempt at stalling this whole buy back thing, and he even said it wasn't a guaranteed fix. I thought about it and called him back a couple hours later. I told him I was done. No more fixes, they had their chance, and I do not want to deal with this truck anymore.

I give him and the dealer credit. He took the time to look into this and was being honest with me. GM supplied the entirely new transmission, it wasn't a tear down and rebuild so I can't fault the dealer.

It's disheartening to hear about all these people having problems with little resolution. I really hope everyone gets theirs figured out.

I have been on the phone constantly with my dealer trying to work out a deal. I really don't want to take the time to lemon this thing. GM is counting on that too.

On the bright side, I contacted the GM executive office and I got a nice response from a lady that is going to help me with finding some resolution. I don't have my truck anymore, it is at the dealership. So this needs to be taken care of soon. Patience is starting to fade as anger sets in.

what does GM call an "updated transmission"? A transmission that was actually assembled by people who have some idea what they are doing (vs totally clueless)?