2002 1500 Silverado transfer case is not spinning the front axle

I just bought a 2002 silverado 1500 with 198k

When the button for 4wd is pressed it makes a noise around the tcase, and the light switches from 2wd to 4hi for 4lo. if you try moving only the back wheels spin. Not really sure where to start looking on these, I moved from jeeps to this truck and am so lost.

Check if your front axle is engaged by putting it in 4x4 and jacking the whole front end off of the ground... then put it in park and spin one front wheel, if the other turns the opposite way, the front axle is locked in, if the other one does not spin at all, look underneath at the driveshaft. If the driveshaft is spinning, then you have a Tcase problem, if the driveshaft is stationary and the opposite wheel up front does not move, then your front axle is not engaging, you need to replace the front axle actuator most likely then...

Check if your front axle is engaged by putting it in 4x4 and jacking the whole front end off of the ground... then put it in park and spin one front wheel, if the other turns the opposite way, the front axle is locked in, if the other one does not spin at all, look underneath at the driveshaft. If the driveshaft is spinning, then you have a Tcase problem, if the driveshaft is stationary and the opposite wheel up front does not move, then your front axle is not engaging, you need to replace the front axle actuator most likely then...

Agreed, it's not uncommon for the actuator to go out on the front end of these trucks, they have been using the same design for decades. Easy change I've done it laying in the sand in Pismo dunes a few times, Takes about 10 minutes.

Archived