Concealed Carry Permit Tests

Your information is NOT true, not even close and it is terrible advice to be giving to people that may get them into trouble!

First off, if a business has such a sign posted, that is a warning to anybody who may enter that firearms are not welcome. It is also a warning that should be taken seriously. Carrying a firearm into a business that has such signs weather they carry legal weight in that state or not still need to be followed. Going inside or on the grounds with a firearm, against the owners wishes means you are trespassing. You can be cited for trespassing if caught and actually may have your carry permit suspended for a period of time.

There are also several states where these signs actually do carry legal weight and are the law. Some states have to have specific wording on their signs to make them legal, some do not and actually seem like it's ok for someone other than law enforcement to carry a firearm on their grounds but that's not the case. There are several states that have business signs protected under law and I would suggest doing ones own research and not taking the advice from someone on the internet that thinks it's ok to ignore legal signs.

If anybody has a question about their state, you should be able to go to the Attny. General website for your state and see if those posted signs actually matter. Off the top of my head, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Texas, Ohio, Illinois, North/South Carolina, do support a business with a no gun sign if it meets the requirements set forth by the state. I'm sure there are several more, I just can't list them by memory. Either way, you can be cited if caught carrying a firearm where signs are posted stating they are not welcome.

Your statement about carrying a firearm into a bank is also not necessarily true. There are many municipalities across the country that do not allow a firearm to be carried inside a bank, credit union, or any institution that is FDIC insured, same goes for a post office. People should check their local laws on carrying in their bank as well. Don't listen to someone on the internet who feels they can go wherever they want with their gun, that's not true.

Actually i am correct. In my state, gun free means nothing and no legal action can be taken against me. You cannot carry into a bank either or post office. What would i know though, my wife is an attorney and my best friend is a state tactics and firearms instructor.

NH no gun signs hold no direct weight either. My understanding of them is if you get made and refuse to leave, you can be in trouble but that's it.

Some states do have official signs and once in Ohio I had a mini panic attack cause the door I walked into a store once was propped open when I entered, obscuring a legal no gun sign. The door was closed when I left and spotted it. Made me mad more than anything else that they'd be so lazy in posting it.

• Like 1

Here in NewYorkistan you fill out an application including 4 signed character affidavits from residents of your county that cannot be family, and cannot be law enforcement. Then you file it with the county police, wait 6-12 months and go in for an interview where the interviewing officer fills out the state application. Then you wait again for the state to approve, but only after the county slaps a "to and from the range only" restriction on it. Total process is 12-18 months and stupid amounts of money. Heres the kicker. You cannot legally touch a handgun in NYS without a license.

Here in NewYorkistan you fill out an application including 4 signed character affidavits from residents of your county that cannot be family, and cannot be law enforcement. Then you file it with the county police, wait 6-12 months and go in for an interview where the interviewing officer fills out the state application. Then you wait again for the state to approve, but only after the county slaps a "to and from the range only" restriction on it. Total process is 12-18 months and stupid amounts of money. Heres the kicker. You cannot legally touch a handgun in NYS without a license.

Don't forget that you have to give up your first born child too. :rollin:

• Like 1

Here in GA it's super easy to get your concealed carry permit. All you have to do is go to the court house, fill out a piece of paper, get finger printed for a background check, and if all goes well the permit will be mailed to your house in a couple of weeks. I think I had to pay like $70 and it's good for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CCDW in Ky is evidently a different practice? It covers about anything. Like throwing stars, nunchucks, knives.

I like Tn law, the gov said all residents can carry, no permit. But if your want to conceal you must have a permit. He didn't want money keeping people from their rights. I apologize if I got that twisted up but I think that's how I read it.

I like open carry, I rarely do, but I think us conceal carry regulars should try it once in a while.

It's funny how you always meet the most polite people in a gun store.

Technically the same here in ND. It's actually a dangerous weapon carry permit. Covers everything from brass knuckles all the way to guns.

The CCDW in Ky is evidently a different practice? It covers about anything. Like throwing stars, nunchucks, knives.

I like Tn law, the gov said all residents can carry, no permit. But if your want to conceal you must have a permit. He didn't want money keeping people from their rights. I apologize if I got that twisted up but I think that's how I read it.

I like open carry, I rarely do, but I think us conceal carry regulars should try it once in a while.

It's funny how you always meet the most polite people in a gun store.

In Kentucky we can carry open without a permit just not concealed. I believe we're the same as Tennessee. No need to apologize. I like open carry as well, just prefer concealed carry. Yes very very you always meet the most polite people in gun stores.

Daniel

• 8 months later...

I have been debating about getting a concealed carry permit here in Colorado.

For a gun, S&W M&P Shield compact 9 mm.

Local gun shop told me, $79 for the class. Four hours long with plastic guns.

Sheriffs office for permit, $152.

Over $700 with a holster to do this.

:happysad:

• Like 1

I have been debating about getting a concealed carry permit here in Colorado.
For a gun, S&W M&P Shield compact 9 mm.
Local gun shop told me, $79 for the class. Four hours long with plastic guns.
Sheriffs office for permit, $152.
Over $700 with a holster to do this.
:happysad:
That sounds pretty good. I think i paid around $79 for my class back in 2005. For me the hard parts are choosing which gun(s) of mine I'm going to carry and which holster(s) I'm going to carry with. Currently carrying my security six snubbie in a simply rugged pancake holster. If you want to save some money don't be afraid to buy a gun used. I bought my shield 9mm from my co-worker who works at a gun shop for his other job. It was one of their rentals, runs great haven't had a problem yet. Bought my SR9 from him at the same time, it was a rental as well. Paid just a little more for both for the price of one new.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2017 at 5:54 PM, BlackZ71Silverado said:

First off, if a business has such a sign posted, that is a warning to anybody who may enter that firearms are not welcome. It is also a warning that should be taken seriously. Carrying a firearm into a business that has such signs weather they carry legal weight in that state or not still need to be followed. Going inside or on the grounds with a firearm, against the owners wishes means you are trespassing. You can be cited for trespassing if caught and actually may have your carry permit suspended for a period of time.

There are also several states where these signs actually do carry legal weight and are the law. Some states have to have specific wording on their signs to make them legal, some do not and actually seem like it's ok for someone other than law enforcement to carry a firearm on their grounds but that's not the case. There are several states that have business signs protected under law and I would suggest doing ones own research and not taking the advice from someone on the internet that thinks it's ok to ignore legal signs.

Causes one to wonder..... if the weapon is concealed, how does the owner of the property even know?   I thought the whole point of concealed carry was to conceal.  Unless a property owner is frisking down anyone who comes on the property, how do they know?   And who would be caught if they property concealed the weapon?

I go to businesses all the time who, primarily due to insurance requirements, do not allow weapons on the property along with cameras, cell phones, and smoking.  I don't even take any of it to heart.  Like with most things, it is best just to keep you mouth shut and no one will ever know anything. 

Edited by Cowpie

• 3 months later...

Mine was a simple walk into the Sheriff's office, let them make a copy of my DD-214 (military service), wait a couple of days, pay the fee, and get the CCW permit.  

When they make it one carry permit nationwide I’ll get one. In Texas the castle law applies to your vehicle, no permit needed. Most other places prohibits guns anyway. I know people who carry without a permit every where. Very small revolver in a wallet looking case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk