Cancelling Extended Warranty

Came across my truck paperwork while doing taxes today and found out the dealer sold my a 3rd party extended warranty instead of a GM extended warranty. Research on the company shows its pretty terrible and I'm looking into to cancelling and going through the actual GM plan. Truck is close to 25k miles and warranty was purchased with truck on 3/21/15.

I'm assuming I will need to work through the dealer on this, but has anyone else had any issues cancelling? Company is Care Free Car Protection from Fidelity Warranty Services.

Thanks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say about the companies or how to cancel, but I think as long as you haven't had any problems with the truck you don't need an extended warranty. Seems like everybody that has purchased some kind of extended warranty didn't need it and was a waste of money.

II can't say if it will be easy to just cancel, but I'm sure you'd need a good reason other than you just don't want it. Could say you didn't think they sold it to you until you looked at the paperwork recently. The only extra thing that the dealer sold me was Gap insurance and that's in case the truck gets totaled and I still owe more on the loan than anybody wants to show it's worth so the Gap insurance covers the difference. But, coming up on 2 years and see how much I have left to pay, it's about equal now.

Company is located in Florida, and I'm hoping we can cancel the existing warranty and I can sign up on an actual GMPPE plan. Little upset I missed this in the initial paperwork...

Fidelity isn't a bad warranty... Especially if it's the new car or platinum coverage. GMPP is a good warranty as well. Both have pluses and minuses. I *think* the GMPP warranty is a little more expensive.

Check coverage levels of both since you have 25k on it. Often the coverages change after 20k or so.

Fidelity isn't a bad warranty... Especially if it's the new car or platinum coverage. GMPP is a good warranty as well. Both have pluses and minuses. I *think* the GMPP warranty is a little more expensive.

Check coverage levels of both since you have 25k on it. Often the coverages change after 20k or so.

I had fidelity when I bought my cts v. I canceled it and got most of my money back when I sold the car. I even had a claim for my radio and heater/blower fan making noise that they paid out.

If you got a good deal why do you want to cancel it? Also "GMPP" isn't the actual GMC plan anymore GMEPP is through gm. While GMPP is through Ally

I did some research on the fidelity program and it was overwhelmingly negative. I also paid 3k for the warranty and think I can get a better deal / coverage through the GMEPP plan.

Sounds like a few on here with fidelity have not had many issues?

Without knowing the details of your current warranty you should call get a quote for gmepp. I know they go up significantly the more miles you got. I bought my truck 3/7 and only have 12k miles. I know they wanted around 1400 when my truck was basically new. I'm sure it would be a lot more expensive one year later and 25k miles

I just cancelled my fidelity and it takes about 6/7 weeks to get your money back. The paperwork you got breaks down from state to state how to cancel and if they have fees

FYI, if you borrowed for your truck and for your warranty, the proceeds of a cancellation are supposed to go to the lien holder before you, so you may not see the cash money to go buy a GM plan

That money should be applied to the principal of the loan though, correct? I just don't have much faith in the current warranty company vs an actual GM backed plan (based on reviews)

C'mon man... You didn't notice that they slipped in a $3,000 warranty? I can understand if you are having second thoughts and want to cancel your coverage, but don't try to pin it on the dealer doing something shady. I suppose you don't remember signing that thick ass warranty contract either? Were you incapacitated at the time of your vehicle purchase?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

C'mon man... You didn't notice that they slipped in a $3,000 warranty? I can understand if you are having second thoughts and want to cancel your coverage, but don't try to pin it on the dealer doing something shady. I suppose you don't remember signing that thick ass warranty contract either? Were you incapacitated at the time of your vehicle purchase?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HAHA!!

Archived