Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 returns for 2017

Zane

CamaroZL1_4.jpeg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

3/16/2016

Just when you thought the sixth generation Camaro could not get any better, Chevrolet has announced that the high-performance ZL1 variation will make a return for MY-2017. Powered by a 640-horsepower supercharged LT4 6.2L V8 engine, the ZL1 will come in a customer's choice of a 6-speed manual or 10-speed automatic.

CamaroZL1_7.jpegCamaroZL1_2.jpeg

Our experience with the all new Camaro has been outstandingly positive. Just last fall, GM-Trucks.com drove a 2016 Camaro SS over 1,600 miles from Minneapolis to Salt Lake City in an epic road trip. The SS turned out to be a strikingly composed vehicle. In our time with the last generation Camaro ZL1, we were equally impressed but the vehicle's extra weight made it harder to control on the track. This generation is over 200-lbs lighter.

The all new ZL1 will dial this lighter generation pony car up to the proverbial "11". Specialized bodywork on the ZL1 improve aerodynamics and cooling. A larger front splitter, unique rockers, larger rear spoiler and wide front fenders are designed to keep the Camaro ZL1 stable at high speeds. A special "flow-tie" Chevrolet bowtie insignia is open to allow more airflow to the engine compartment.

CamaroZL1_1.jpegCamaroZL1_6.jpeg

Inside the ZL1 has standard Recaro front seats, a suede flat-bottom steering wheel, and suede shift knob. Chevrolet's performance data recorder (PDR) is also available.

The ZL1 also comes with unique 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with exclusive Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires [285/30ZR20 Front / 305/30ZR20 Rear]. Those huge tires will get help stopping with massive 15.35 inch rotors squeezed by six-piston Brembo brakes up front. 11-heat exchangers throughout the Camaro ZL1 make this four-person car track ready straight from the dealership.

Pricing and availability have yet to be announced.

CamaroZL1_3.jpegCamaroZL1_5.jpeg

CamaroZL1_8.jpegCamaroZL1_011.jpeg

CamaroZL1_9.jpegCamaroZL1_010.jpeg

CamaroZL1_4.jpeg

CamaroZL1_2.jpeg

CamaroZL1_7.jpeg

CamaroZL1_1.jpeg

CamaroZL1_6.jpeg

CamaroZL1_9.jpeg

CamaroZL1_010.jpeg

CamaroZL1_3.jpeg

CamaroZL1_5.jpeg

CamaroZL1_8.jpeg

CamaroZL1_011.jpeg

CamaroZL1_4.jpeg

CamaroZL1_2.jpeg

CamaroZL1_7.jpeg

CamaroZL1_1.jpeg

CamaroZL1_6.jpeg

CamaroZL1_9.jpeg

CamaroZL1_010.jpeg

CamaroZL1_3.jpeg

CamaroZL1_5.jpeg

CamaroZL1_8.jpeg

CamaroZL1_011.jpeg

CamaroZL1_4.jpeg

CamaroZL1_2.jpeg

CamaroZL1_7.jpeg

CamaroZL1_1.jpeg

CamaroZL1_6.jpeg

CamaroZL1_9.jpeg

CamaroZL1_010.jpeg

CamaroZL1_3.jpeg

CamaroZL1_5.jpeg

CamaroZL1_8.jpeg

CamaroZL1_011.jpeg

The 10 speed is the most interesting bit to me. The 10 speed is the co-developed with Ford unit. Pretty much a "hey lets develop this together, get the ball rolling, and then part ways" kind of deal. This is GM's first application for it. Ford Raptor is Ford's first. Neither of them have spilled the beans on the product yet. It is obviously a small unit if you will...its got to be 6L80/8L90 in size. I wouldn't doubt that the HD trucks get this, and probably the 6.2 1500, while the 5.3 and 4.3 get the 8L90 across the board. 8 products will get this 10 speed, the first announced being the ZL1. Those 8 products will have this transmission by 2018, so in just under 2 years. Will be interesting to watch...

When will GM ever build a truck with this engine? Maybe an awd lowered street version and an off road raptor/power wagon competitor. It would be a niche but they have the technology and engine already. It would cost probably $70k or more but they would sell

THis might just eat a Hellcat for dinner

Considering the Hellcat is HEAVY at almost 4,500 lbs.,and this should be around 3,800 lbs. that's what I'm hoping too! That's the biggest issue with the Hellcat,its heavy as all hell!

time to win the lottery. The 5th gen will be paid off next month, really want a new truck but maybe this is in my future?

My 5th gen is paid off,I just need to get the new truck paid down a little more and I might be good to go,this is what I was waiting for when the 6th gen came out.

Considering the Hellcat is HEAVY at almost 4,500 lbs.,and this should be around 3,800 lbs. that's what I'm hoping too! That's the biggest issue with the Hellcat,its heavy as all hell!

The weight of the Hellcat to me is just mind boggling. I had a 71 Challenger with a big block (440/4 speed) and the car just weighed under 3500lbs. And this is a car with no aluminum engine parts or any other light weight components. And here in the year 2016 with all the new technology and the almost same car, weighs about 1000lbs more. Go figure. Where the heck does all this extra weight comer from......

Archived