Max Tire size on a Stock Height 2015 2500HD

I'm seriously considering going the drop shackle route instead of a leveling kit to knock some of the rake out of my truck. However, before I do, I'd like to find out what size tire I can clear later on. I currently have the SR-A 265/60/20.

I would be considering the Duratrac's in 285/60/20 (about and inch taller and wider that what I currently have) and possible the Nitto and Toyo MT selections in a similar size. I am pretty confident those sizes would clear but does anyone know for sure? Would I be able to go any taller or wider WITHOUT touching my torsion key bolts or trimming? I've been having trouble pinpointing this info on the forums.

Also, I have no plans to change wheels so the current factory offset would remain the same.

Edited by bigsby
  • Like 1

Without touching a single thing, 275/60/20 or 295/55/20 should fit without any trouble. The 285/60/20 you mentioned should fit too, but there aren't many options in that size. I've heard of guys running 305/55/20, 295/60/20, or 275/65/20 at stock height, but some have rubbed a little and some haven't. I think those sizes are so close that it depends on the particular truck and the particular brand/type of tire. For example, a 305/55/20 BFG AT KO2 might clear just fine, but a Nitto Trail Grappler in that same size might rub. If it were me, I'd try one of the last 3 sizes I mentioned, and do a bit of trimming or cranking if needed...and then decide on the amount of drop in the rear after I had the tires I wanted. And, of those sizes, I prefer the 295/60/20, because they're a nice balance of extra height and extra width. Just my $0.02....

• Like 1

I debated a long time when I was looking to upgrade. 2015.5 Duramax, stock suspension - 275/65/20 Duratracs ... No rubbing after some slight trimming of the mud flaps on the front.e4100bfa51d5294864572ec5b39c490b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If all you had to do was trim your front mudflaps (I don't have mudflaps) for the 275/65/20 Duratracs, I don't believe there would be any rubbing/trimming issues with the 285/60/20 Duratracs as they are about a half inch shorter and half inch wider than what you are running.

Thank you for the replies. Any other input would be welcome as well.

Are you guys happy with the Duratracs? I had Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 08 1/2 ton, loved how they looked but don't know if I want to go that aggressive again. They rode kinda rough after a while too.

I am happy with them. I had them on my previous half ton and liked them enough to put them on the 2500. Got just over 27,000 km and shows very little signs of wear. A little road noise but that is to be expected.

• Like 1

I'm happy with them also. Have about 3000 miles on them and not much complaints. They do have increased road noise, but worth it to me. Overall ride quality improved some for me also with a taller profile going from the stock 265/60/20 to 275/65/20....little more give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just as a follow up to this topic, I decided on the 275/65/20 Duratracs. Since I do not have mudflaps, I can report that there is absolutely no rubbing whatsoever at full lock in drive or reverse with a bone stock suspension setup.

I have not installed the drop shackles yet, but I am thinking about only dropping the rear one inch to leave some rake for when I do pull my travel trailer.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Just as a follow up to this topic, I decided on the 275/65/20 Duratracs. Since I do not have mudflaps, I can report that there is absolutely no rubbing whatsoever at full lock in drive or reverse with a bone stock suspension setup.

I have not installed the drop shackles yet, but I am thinking about only dropping the rear one inch to leave some rake for when I do pull my travel trailer.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

I used the drop shackles, also. Started out with max drop to get it to around 1" rake, but went back and set it at 2" of rake for the same reason as you. Wanted a bit of rake to it wouldn't sag when pulling my TT, but not jacked all up when unloaded. Very pleased with the results.

• Like 1

I used the drop shackles, also. Started out with max drop to get it to around 1" rake, but went back and set it at 2" of rake for the same reason as you. Wanted a bit of rake to it wouldn't sag when pulling my TT, but not jacked all up when unloaded. Very pleased with the results.

Good to hear. Will hopefully be doing that soon. It looks to be a pretty simple install.

That is the way I went (drop shackles) and am extremely satisfied. I have thrown a ton of stuff in the back and even with 2' drop shackles, there was very little sag. Truck looked completely level. The 2" still left some rake in the back but at least my pickup didn't look like a cat in heat anymore.

• 1 month later...

I have cranked the bars and tried to fit some half worn 295/60r20 and they would rub on the frame at full lock and come darn close to the sway bar. It's to bad because I liked the way they looked. Thinking about going with 275/65r20's now.

Edited by grnmtnboy

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I have the same exact wheels and tires on my 2016. I'm in a similar situation with wanting to do drop shackles. My question is, if I went down to 18" aftermarket wheels, what's the largest tire size I could fit? I prefer more tire and less wheel of possible.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have had duratracs in the past and loved them.