6.2 Dyno with Common Bolt-ons

I intended to do this a long time ago but have just been so busy over the last year and a half I never got around to it. I really want an accurate before/after for the next (and likely last) bolt-on I have planned so it was finally time to see what I've gained so far. New mods since the initial (mechanically stock) dyno:

American Racing Headers, 1 3/4" Primaries, Catted Y-Pipe

Magnaflow Catback

AFE Momentum GT Stage 2 CAI

Ported TB

180 Thermostat

Taylor Wires

I expect the bulk of the power increase is due to the first three, the other mods had other reasons behind them but if they add a couple odd HP it all adds up. Both times I was on the same 34.1" E-rated Duratrac tires. Anyway, here are the results, mechanically stock and with the bolt-ons, both tuned as well as I could get them before running out of time on the dyno:

BoltonsSAE.jpg

An increase of 47 HP and 43 lb-ft peak to peak. I was quite pleased with that result. While naturally the biggest HP gains are at high RPM (nearly 70 HP increase at 6500 RPM) there's a healthy gain of torque throughout the RPM range that's very usable in normal driving and moderate towing (not just when you have your foot to the floor). I would guess the headers are responsible for most of the lower/mid RPM torque gains. I have as much torque now at 2700 RPM as I had at peak (4100 RPM) before. That's nice for towing.

For those wondering how that might equate to flywheel numbers, with these heavy tires I'm losing about 21% through the drivetrain. That would indicate roughly 480 HP and 520 lb-ft rating if it came this way from the factory.

In case people are wondering what they'll get with all the bolt-ons and no tune at all, I did a run on the stock tune. Here that is compared with the stock dyno with no tune:

BoltonsStockProg.jpg

An increase of 46 HP and 46 lb-ft peak to peak. One caveat is that I think it did better on the stock tune than it should have, largely due to a slight MAF calibration change between the stock air intake and the AFE. That run was a bit leaner than the stock program should be; I have a feeling after a couple hundred miles of driving the computer would compensate and some of those gains would disappear. Regardless, this does show the mechanical parts are good for some serious gains with no tuning at all.

Edited by Jon A
  • Like 5

I did the tuning and I'm certainly no pro. It wouldn't surprise me if somebody else could beat those numbers a bit. I figure the tires are costing a good 5-10 HP at least, but they were the same for both tests so the gains shouldn't be affected.

I forgot I was going to post some engine pics:

DSC_1348.jpg

DSC_1346.jpg

I actually spent some time cleaning it so I'm sure as heck going to post the pics!

Where did u getthe ported tb from. All i can find are tb spacers

Mine is a Weapons X http://weaponx-c7.myshopify.com/collections/air-intake/products/lt1-throttle-body-ported. Lots of places offer them now, they're the same for the C7 Stingray LT1 and the 6.2 Truck.

All I can think about is how this would all pan out on e85 with tuning...520/560 would be fun.

Yes, it certainly would add a ton. It's just hard to find where I spend most of my time so it hasn't interested me much. The gas stations can be far apart in some of these parts. In Montana I'm stuck with 91 octane unless I drive a loooong way..... :nonod:

Did you go for a larger throttle body also? Or just the same size ? I was considering putting a larger throttle body on my 5.3 like the one on the 6.2 to see if there are any gains

sent from Florida beech

For me it was the same size which I believe is bigger than the 5.3's. If you want to try, I've got my stock one I'd sell you pretty cheap. I've also got a spare 6.2 Truck manifold too which is the swap Spurshot did. If you want a definite gain in top end power I've got a Corvette manifold I'll be selling too. I've been collecting parts for a while.....

For me it was the same size which I believe is bigger than the 5.3's. If you want to try, I've got my stock one I'd sell you pretty cheap. I've also got a spare 6.2 Truck manifold too which is the swap Spurshot did. If you want a definite gain in top end power I've got a Corvette manifold I'll be selling too. I've been collecting parts for a while.....

How much for the 6.2 l throttle body?

sent from Florida beech

How much for 6.2 throttle body and manifold

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk