Silverado on fire

Hey everyone. I have (had) a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3v8. Truck has (had) 48K miles and followed the manufactures maintenance schedule, I loved my truck. I drove it for about an hour, went from south Houston to the Woodlands. It was parked and off then it all went to hell. I was interviewing at a company and had to cut the interview short. I came outside and found my truck burned to a crisp, its a total loss. Interesting thing, the day before I got the oil changed and the truck checked out at a Chevy dealership. I need some advice. How would I bring this up to the dealership? Any chance I can get the dealership or Chevy to compensate anything? any thoughts or advice would be awesome. Will post more pics in comments.

RIP Black Panther.

EDIT: Insurance is involved. Was just wondering if anything else could be done. Not looking to put the blame on the dealer or Chevy.

post-127163-0-27843300-1458437921_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compensation for what? It's hard to point fingers till they know why it started on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understood. Should have worded that different. Insurance is involved. Not looking to put the blame on the dealer or chevy, but its just too coincidental.

I think this is probably one of those "shit happens" kind of deals. The only thing that can be done is to have it figured out what actually caused it. Since you're literally the first person I've seen and can remember that has had their K2 truck catch fire, I'm sure it's not GM's fault when it comes to a bad designed part. Maybe a fuel line was just worked loose and it happen to get on the hot exhaust manifold. Or an electrical thing. Just wild guesses. I don't see how a loose oil drain plug or a loose oil filter would cause a fire since all of that is below the exhaust manifold or anything that got hot. So I don't think the oil change had anything to do with it. Your insurance should cover it and hopefully you don't owe more than it's worth which with 48K miles on a '14 you should be fine with that. I did buy that extra gap insurance in case something happened to it and I still owed more than what the insurance company wanted to say it was worth.

The front passenger tire does look pretty good charred black like that. Had to say it lol.

Just file the claim with your insurance company and let them do the research. If there is a problem from something the dealer did, they will address it. If by some chance it was caused by a defect, GM will eventually put a recall out, but that could take years. Sorry for your loss.

Looks like your ignition switch survived. :)

Sorry to hear about your truck. Hopefully your insurance company will get to the bottom of it and hopefully won't raise your rates as I don't see how this would have been your fault.

Just file the claim with your insurance company and let them do the research. If there is a problem from something the dealer did, they will address it. If by some chance it was caused by a defect, GM will eventually put a recall out, but that could take years. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your advice. I did file a claim.

Just file the claim with your insurance company and let them do the research. If there is a problem from something the dealer did, they will address it.

Letting them doing the research is one of the reasons you bought insurance. Let them do the job you paid them for.

Understood. Should have worded that different. Insurance is involved. Not looking to put the blame on the dealer or chevy, but its just too coincidental.

Did it have any mods?

I agree that does suck. But that is one of the reasons we have insurance on them. Just in case something like this comes up. I have always said, that if one of my vehicles catches fire, I hope it goes to the ground and is a total. I don't want a fire vehicle back. I'd say you are safe on that one. Those wheels are what came on mine when it was new, those wheels never made it to me when I got it used at the Chevy dealership.

Good luck and hope it all works out nice and easy for you.

I agree that does suck. But that is one of the reasons we have insurance on them. Just in case something like this comes up. I have always said, that if one of my vehicles catches fire, I hope it goes to the ground and is a total. I don't want a fire vehicle back. I'd say you are safe on that one. Those wheels are what came on mine when it was new, those wheels never made it to me when I got it used at the Chevy dealership.

Good luck and hope it all works out nice and easy for you.

Archived