Silverado on fire

I just looked at the extra photos and it looks like the fire started on the passenger side around the battery area. It could have been caused by something shorting out, or maybe from the high pressure fuel pump. I don't know where the fuel pump is located on the DI engines, but have heard of the pump and o-rings leaking on these engines.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man I'm really sorry to see this. I hope everything works out for you and there will be a Black Panther v2.0. Glad nobody got hurt as well. A car fire can get out of control fast, seen it first hand- Mercury Mountaineer, by the time the fire company arrived (25-30 minutes?) the fire was so intense and out of control there was nothing left to save....

Hi all. Been lurking for a while, and thought this was a good time for first post.

Many moons ago I had a job at a gas station, and one day a customer came in (I was working inside at the mini mart) yelling that his car was on fire. I then pressed the STOP ALL PUMPS button and ran outside to find a large amount of smoke coming from under the hood but no visible flames. Grabbed a fire extinguisher and the fire was out quickly. Fire did not spread to the gas station pumps (if it had my next button press would have been the overhead fire extinguisher that engulfs the entire area around the pumps)

In this case, the person had just changed the oil so it reminded me of the OP's story above. Apparently a rag was left near the exhaust when performing the oil change that is what caused the fire.

Not saying this is the cause of your fire, but sometimes innocent mistakes can turn hazardous. Make sure you get a report on the cause because that's who will be paying your insurance deductible. Good luck.

Sorry about your truck. Glad nobody was hurt. Does seem suspect that it was just serviced but will be hard to prove that they were negligent. There is a TSB around fuel rail and fuel pump leaks which I had to get done but I could smell the fuel. Hopefully insurance treats you right and you have a replacement value type policy.

Good Luck

Ignition point is going to be investigated. That will lead to the cause and will ultimately show who is to blame, if anyone.

Don't know why you're referencing compensation. Insurance hooked you up with a rental, right. That should be the only compensation unless the dealer is at fault.

I dont want to "fuel the flame" here, however, I have sold thousands of chevys personally over the past few years, and only ONE did I hear about a fire. It was a 2015 Cruze Lt and a very good friend of mine.

The day it went on fire, she noticed the rear view camera WASN'T turning off - even when she was driving forwards. She parked it at work, went out around noon to get some water. Came out at 3pm and the seats were melted. Had some sort of internal fire that melted all of the plastics and cloth seats etc.

Strange but true. No visible flames.

That does suck. But, on the bright side, at least it wasn't parked in your garage at home.

Exactly what I was thinking!

OP,

Did the FD rip the aluminum hood off, or was it a total meltdown? I'm thinking the latter?

I park my truck in the garage every night. Things like this will definitely make a guy wonder. Just glad to hear nobody was injured.

I wish you luck on your claim, and hope you are made whole again.

Wow just saw this. Looks like the truck was a nice looking one. Off topic but a week ago a neighbor a few houses down had his work van ( plumber) catch fire. Thought it was just getting foggy out and a cop arrived before the FD. He sprayed it with a garden hose and fire extinguisher and is slowed it but the FD was about 7 minutes out. Within that 7 min it went from a small fire under the hood to a full on total front to rear fire. Just crazy seeing how fast a fire spreads when it has time to grow. His van was probably parked 25 ft from the house. If he parked like I usually did it would have been a structure fire as well

Off that I decided..instead of parking my truck about five feet from my house I know leave a good amount of space

I had an engine fire in 1992 from a cigarette thrown from a car went right into the intake and lite the filter on fire. I got it out quick with minimal damage.

Saw one fire on a parked car because a paper bag blew under it and poof..

So hard to prove it wasn't an outside issue as so many outside sources.

Did the dealer spill oil and it caught on fire that's possible to but impossible to prove..

That's why we have insurance. Trust me they will do an investigation of their own.

Exactly what I was thinking!

OP,

Did the FD rip the aluminum hood off, or was it a total meltdown? I'm thinking the latter?

I park my truck in the garage every night. Things like this will definitely make a guy wonder. Just glad to hear nobody was injured.

I wish you luck on your claim, and hope you are made whole again.

When I walked outside, the FD was already there and the hood was a totally burned away. There wasn't a hood. I happy no one was injured and I always park way from other cars.

When I walked outside, the FD was already there and the hood was a totally burned away. There wasn't a hood. I happy no one was injured and I always park way from other cars.

That's what I thought but, just had to ask.

I guess there won't be much left of those Ford trucks in a fire.

Archived