io3 Radio Problems

Hello all! Last February (2015) I bought my GMC Sierra WT with the io3. Since day 1 I have had problems with getting my phone to connect via USB and when it does it will sometimes skip like a vinyl record. Which I don't understand, but when I took it to the dealership they said it was the feature that turns up the volume with speed. I turned it off like they said, but no luck. In June of 2015 the Radio when completely black. After days of driving without a radio I unplugged the battery and it came back on. It happened again on Monday on my way home from work so I decided to take it to the dealership on Tuesday and they said the only thing they could do was unplug the module and let it go dead and plug it back in. I was fine with that because I figured it would be a once in a while thing and I went on my way. Yesterday I happened again and so I am back at the dealership. I am getting really tired of this. Does anyone know why this is happening or what a fix is? My dealership is clueless. Thanks in advance!

Edited by sierraguy2015

Hello all! Last February (2015) I bought my GMC Sierra WT with the io3. Since day 1 I have had problems with getting my phone to connect via USB and when it does it will sometimes skip like a vinyl record. Which I don't understand, but when I took it to the dealership they said it was the feature that turns up the volume with speed. I turned it off like they said, but no luck. In June of 2015 the Radio when completely black. After days of driving without a radio I unplugged the battery and it came back on. It happened again on Monday on my way home from work so I decided to take it to the dealership on Tuesday and they said the only thing they could do was unplug the module and let it go dead and plug it back in. I was fine with that because I figured it would be a once in a while thing and I went on my way. Yesterday I happened again and so I am back at the dealership. I am getting really tired of this. Does anyone know why this is happening or what a fix is? My dealership is clueless. Thanks in advance!

Good Afternoon Sierraguy2015,

Congrats on your Sierra! We can certainly look into your concern further and assist with answering any questions you may have. Please feel free to send us a private message with more information on your concern, along with your VIN. How did your appointment at the dealership go? If you have any lingering questions, we are more than happy to help.

Anisha T.

GMC Customer Care

If I had ways to describe my hatred of my truck because of the radio! Mine is the black screen, backup camera not turning off and my favorite... When the Bluetooth randomly connects and the iPhone plays the only song in my library "it's a small world" which I bought for a parade float.

2015 is like the bastard child radio, HD was disabled and we will never see an upgrade to fix the issues the 2014's had. My dealer gave me a dumb look when I mentioned it too.

Good Afternoon Sierraguy2015,

Congrats on your Sierra! We can certainly look into your concern further and assist with answering any questions you may have. Please feel free to send us a private message with more information on your concern, along with your VIN. How did your appointment at the dealership go? If you have any lingering questions, we are more than happy to help.

Anisha T.

GMC Customer Care

My appointment went as usual. The guy told me that there was nothing they could do but unplug the battery and hopefully GM was working on a permanent solution. He gave me the bulletin that said that it was an ongoing problem and told me to check back in a month to see if the fix had been released.

If I had ways to describe my hatred of my truck because of the radio! Mine is the black screen, backup camera not turning off and my favorite... When the Bluetooth randomly connects and the iPhone plays the only song in my library "it's a small world" which I bought for a parade float.

2015 is like the bastard child radio, HD was disabled and we will never see an upgrade to fix the issues the 2014's had. My dealer gave me a dumb look when I mentioned it too.

Yes and its really frustrating how you buy a 30k+ vehicle and GM doesn't even acknowledge that there is a problem until a year after the fact. When and if the update does come for the radios like the guy at the dealership promised, your truck should get it too. Hopefully it will fix your problems as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks, I was wondering about this update. Dealer told me to call back about it in February, but I have yet to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's how the IO3 Radio is, and GM won't do anything to fix it. The IO3 is truly a piece of shit.

Had the identical problem in my '15 Suburban with the IO3 Radio, and had it reflashed a ton of times, updated a ton of times, totally replaced 3 times, truck sat at the dealer for weeks, tried to get gm to buy the truck back, they wouldn't, because it didn't affect the driveability or safety.

Finally the problem got so bad, the radio would come on, with the truck totally shut off, and start playing music, screen would turn blue, backup cam would stay on, and it would keep losing stored channels. Then when the radio would freeze up, it affected the blinking pattern of the turn signals. Then I had GM by the balls, because NOW it's a safety issue. They still wouldn't buy it back, but the dealer I got it from worked with me, and gave me a few thousand less than I paid for it (truck had just over 3k miles in a year because I never drove it because it was always at the dealer), as long as I promised to get another GM, so I got my new '16 Silverado and the radio is 1000x better.

Then it had a whole mess of problems with the SD Card functions that I don't feel like getting into.

Honestly, your best bet it to just have an aftermarket installed, and all your problems will go away.

Well I am just waiting to do the io5 upgrade, but it's a lot of money so it may be a few months. Sorry to hear about your issues, but good to hear that everything work out good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD radio has been a problem since first month. It has been back 3 times and once the dealer said they updated the software and it was good for a while. Today it started changing stations changing fan speed even changing media songs while driving. Once it even rebooted it self. Two hour trip with one hour of always changing. I stopped and did a full factory reset on all but no change, any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

I have the same issue with my 2017, following.

I found a guy that does io3 to io5 or io3 to io7 upgrades for half of what infotainment.com will do it for. If anyone is interested I can hook you up with the details.

Edited by StevenWise

• 8 months later...

Does upgrading to IO4 or 5 or better really fix this issue?  My IO3 has been at this a while usually rebooting only 10 to 15 minutes at a time.  I would hate to spend 700-1000 just to have the same problem with a better radio.