285-45-22 Tires which to go with

I just bought my Denali certified w/ brand new Bridgestones. Had rain here for 2 days. They are as bad as the Goodyears on my Sierra. Wet traction (very important here in Fla) sucks. Very disappointed. I was looking forward to them being better than the Goodyears. They are quiet and OK dry. I have had very good experience w/ General HTS Grabbers. Wear good, quiet, and last. Very good wet also. Don't know if they come in our 22" size?

Update: They do come in our size. Michelin's here also---

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=1&autoMake=GMC&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Yukon+XL&autoModClar=Denali&width=285%2F&ratio=45&diameter=22&sortCode=61432&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S

Edited by seamus2154

I've got Bridgestones (22") on my 2015 Suburban. They are a POS. Vibration with no wet roadway grip. Have had them road forced balanced 3 time and 2 replaced by the dealer (Coggin Jacksonville, Fl.) Still NOT FIXED. They will not even talk to me on replacing them without me paying out of my pocket for them.Get the Michelin Premier LTX. Had Michelin's on my 2001 Tahoe with 136,000 miles when I traded it. No complaints with the tires.

for sure the Michelin Premier LTX...especially with all of the vibration/buffeting issues with these trucks. I removed my 22s and went with the Denali 20s and Premier LTXs and the ride is so improved and the buffeting issues we had are 99% gone!

Edited by ajs800
  • Like 1

for sure the Michelin Premier LTX...especially with all of the vibration/buffeting issues with these trucks. I removed my 22s and went with the Denali 20s and Premier LTXs and the ride is so improved and the buffeting issues we had are 99% gone!

Do you think the ride was more improved by the Michelin tire or downgrading to the 20" wheels that has been a concern of mine going to the 22 is how much ride quality will suffer

Do you think the ride was more improved by the Michelin tire or downgrading to the 20" wheels that has been a concern of mine going to the 22 is how much ride quality will suffer

hard to say but I'd say a combination of both. I only had the 22s with one set of tires where I've had an oem set of 18" and two sets of 20" before going with the michelin in 20" (yes, I had 3 sets of tires and wheels on truck before purchasing the michelins and OEM 20 Denalis) so I really can't say for sure. I know there are some that when going with the Michelin Premiers in 22" size noticed a huge improvement in ride compared to the oem tires. I was close to going that route but decided to drop down to the 20" to provide a little more rubber and less of chance of any imbalance/sensitivity that goes along with a larger wheel.

Edited by ajs800

• 3 months later...

I had new bridgestones on the 2015 denali xl. They were horrible. After being in for vibrations 4 times I had a total of 8 brand new tires on the truck in a 3 month span. Then after the last road force balance and new tire I was OK. Not great but acceptable. I then made the mistake of getting my free oil change…..which includes rotating the tires! Well it had the vibration again. They were ready to put another (the 9th tire) after a failed road force balance!!!! I flipped, but GM would not approve changing brands according to dealer. I explained how much money I spent with the dealer (7 cars in 5 years) and wanted new tires! They bought 2 and I bought 2 but I had dealer rewards money in my account which gave me a total of 425. dollars for 4 new Michelin Defender LTX M/S. This would have cost 1200 bucks! They didn't even have to road force balance them and the are perfect. Smooth, compliant, quiet, AND DONT VIBRATE!!!!!

They are also great in the rain unlike the Bridgestones! They knew as they told me they fix every issue they have! The michelins are the way to go!! Very happy.

I had new bridgestones on the 2015 denali xl. They were horrible. After being in for vibrations 4 times I had a total of 8 brand new tires on the truck in a 3 month span. Then after the last road force balance and new tire I was OK. Not great but acceptable. I then made the mistake of getting my free oil change…..which includes rotating the tires! Well it had the vibration again. They were ready to put another (the 9th tire) after a failed road force balance!!!! I flipped, but GM would not approve changing brands according to dealer. I explained how much money I spent with the dealer (7 cars in 5 years) and wanted new tires! They bought 2 and I bought 2 but I had dealer rewards money in my account which gave me a total of 425. dollars for 4 new Michelin Defender LTX M/S. This would have cost 1200 bucks! They didn't even have to road force balance them and the are perfect. Smooth, compliant, quiet, AND DONT VIBRATE!!!!!

They are also great in the rain unlike the Bridgestones! They knew as they told me they fix every issue they have! The michelins are the way to go!! Very happy.

Were those 20s or 22s

They were and are 22's. The size doesn't matter. 20's absorb more road imperfections and can be a little more compliant. But a bad tire is a bad tire. If it is a little out the bigger you go the worse it will be. That is why guys with 22's cannot skimp on a tire . It has to be pretty low on a road force balance. I just bought new rims from a vendor and had this same conversation with him. He sells hundreds of rims and tire combo's. He knew this condition very well. He said it is only the guys with '14-16 GM trucks! He owns one also. He said he has had guys go from 18's with no issues to 22's and a vibration. His opinion was they are a tighter suspension which exacerbates the problem of a cheap or bad tire. So a big sidewall will cover the issue. He also agreed that Michelin's almost always fix the issue. It's a big leap I know as you are throwing 1200 bucks of your money and hope it works. For me the dealer paid more than half so I was willing and it worked.

I am not trying to say this is the ONLY solution. But it is the problem for many. You could still have a bad rotor, bad shock, bad hub runout, pinion, driveshaft, ect. Many have chased those avenues and still had a vibration.

I have a ZR1 also and had a vibration that was the same, but it was manufacture unbalanced rotor. During the shakedown of not wanting to replace 8000 dollar rotors they did every test known to man. They did find two bad tires and one out of round rim. One thing I don't see anyone doing here is the runout on the rim. My ZR1 has 20's. And they are light. Imagine this 22" rim slightly out of round with a bad heavy tire?????

Edited by seamus2154

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I have a lot more miles on these tires now and can give a real opinion. They are great! The advice I saw here and was told was on the money correct. The Michelin Defender is great in the rain, quiet, compliant, smooth. Gas mileage went up about .5 mpg also. I then checked and these tires are 10lbs lighter!!!!! Very happy the placebo effect is gone and now with some more time they are a great all around tire, that did solve my vibrations and shuddering. Good luck

• Like 1