285-45-22 Tires which to go with

Update:

I have a lot more miles on these tires now and can give a real opinion. They are great! The advice I saw here and was told was on the money correct. The Michelin Defender is great in the rain, quiet, compliant, smooth. Gas mileage went up about .5 mpg also. I then checked and these tires are 10lbs lighter!!!!! Very happy the placebo effect is gone and now with some more time they are a great all around tire, that did solve my vibrations and shuddering. Good luck

Is that on a Denali. Does it ride a lil better as far a stiffness

Yes it is a Denali. It is smoother and not as hard on the initial hit of a bump. Hard to explain, but is more compliant and an improvement. Descriptions I would use in comparison are smoother, quieter, a little softer, better in the rain, handle well in turns. I was just cruising home tonight and thought " this is the biggest improvement in my truck" and it is a big difference, rides like I assume it was supposed to. I am very impressed and happy. I almost tried General Grabbers HTS ( a bit cheaper) as I had good experience with them on my prior truck, but happy I followed the reviews as they were right. This truck has a tight suspension so I feel it is very tire sensitive, the Michelin Defender's are a good match. I still wish this mag ride had adjustments for touring, towing, sport, as it is still tight, but the tires made the truck at this point.

• 1 month later...

So after 2 regular balances, 5 road force balances, and 4 replaced tires (all this between two dealership just to make sure the balancing machines calibrated), and pico metered drive line, the Yukon still vibrates.

The booming much better, but the vibration is only about 75% better.

Dealer said that it's as good as the Bridgestones will get. He also said when they call GM tech line, the first thing they ask is "does it have 22s and Bridgestones?"

And then they are told to road force balance them as best they can.

Folks, I am sorry to say that I'm certain that GM is aware of the issues with the 22s, but they keep selling them.

So aj and seamus that went Michelin's. And have the last remaining vibration eliminated, why did you go with the Defender LTX over the Premier A/S or vice versa.

Michelin recommends the Premier as the softer more cushioned tire with better wet traction.

I have begun the fight with my dealer to have them replace the tires with Michelin's. Just want to make sure I pick the correct ones.

You cannot go wrong with either. I was ready also to buy the Premier but had called Tirerack and learned the defender was the new tire w/ great reviews. My service advisor had just installed them on his personal car and also raved about them so I made a leap of faith. As I have already posted the are fantastic and huge difference from the Bridgestones. The Premier has been around longer and has a big following and fan club. I don't think you can wrong w/ either. Best 1200 bucks you could spend on your 80k truck!! Principal kept me fighting with the dealer and was a waste of time and very aggravating to drive my beautiful truck. Wish I did it sooner as it is a real nice ride now. I have a road trip on saturday going up north. I am all prepped. I am actually looking forward to the improved ride from my last vibrating miserable road trip!!

You cannot go wrong with either. I was ready also to buy the Premier but had called Tirerack and learned the defender was the new tire w/ great reviews. My service advisor had just installed them on his personal car and also raved about them so I made a leap of faith. As I have already posted the are fantastic and huge difference from the Bridgestones. The Premier has been around longer and has a big following and fan club. I don't think you can wrong w/ either. Best 1200 bucks you could spend on your 80k truck!! Principal kept me fighting with the dealer and was a waste of time and very aggravating to drive my beautiful truck. Wish I did it sooner as it is a real nice ride now. I have a road trip on saturday going up north. I am all prepped. I am actually looking forward to the improved ride from my last vibrating miserable road trip!!

Thank you. My dealer says they can switch them, but it has to authorized by GM customer service, so I had to make the call to them. So I called yesterday. Well see.

Premier seems to be the one better rates for wet and dry conditions with the softer rubber (but lower thread life).

Premier will be the choice should this happen.

for sure the Michelin Premier LTX...especially with all of the vibration/buffeting issues with these trucks. I removed my 22s and went with the Denali 20s and Premier LTXs and the ride is so improved and the buffeting issues we had are 99% gone!

So do you think the ride improved because you went down to a 20" wheel or solely because of the new tire? I ask because I'm ordering a new suburban and I'm in between 20" and 22" wheels. Car is for my wife and I want to be sure I go with the choice that will give us the best ride.

So do you think the ride improved because you went down to a 20" wheel or solely because of the new tire? I ask because I'm ordering a new suburban and I'm in between 20" and 22" wheels. Car is for my wife and I want to be sure I go with the choice that will give us the best ride.

The answer is both.

The softer the tire, tye better the ride, hence the Michelins.

The more side wall, the more cushion, hence the better ride on 20 than 22.

So both will improve rode. The the real winner here is Michelin Premiers on 20" rims.

Best ride you'll get on the SUV. Unless you go to 18s.

• Like 1

as sierramyst stated, definitely both. I really wanted to stick with the 22s but given the issues and the fact I was not happy with the harsh ride regardless of vibration, I went with the 20s. I went back and forth between the defender and Premier LTX. They are both fairly new with the defender being very new. I don't believe you can go wrong with either...there were very few reviews on the defender when I purchased and I actually read one negative review so I decided on the premier due to all the positive reviews. I will say now that the defender is just as good based on what I'm hearing and would probably go with it if I had to do it again. I also think the defender looks better for an suv tire. The premier ltx in the 20" does look a little too simple and more like a passenger car tire but is probably the reason why it performs so well. The defender and standard LTX tire appear to have more meat. It was the last thing I wanted to do but going with 20 wheels and tires saved me from trading in the XL and losing even more $$.

If I were you, I'd go with the 20" option. The 22s look nice but I honestly feel the 20" chevy wheels on the burb look just as nice. I still feel these trucks ride harsh even with the 18 and 20" wheels...more so than the previous design.

I'm guessing you won't but if you do end up having vibration issues, I'd recommend having the oem tires road forced by a real tire shop before jumping to a new tire.

Edited by ajs800
  • Like 1

The softer the tire, tye better the ride, hence the Michelins.

The Michelin tire may be the better tire, but the UTQG rating of the OEM tire is actually between the Defender and Premier. With an average treadwear rating of the three about 720 (that's around 70K miles), these tires should be considered hard. Soft tires usually average around the 200 treadwear area. The height and weight of a fullsize SUV causes pitch and roll, a soft tire (low treadwear) would make that worse.

The Michelin tire may be the better tire, but the UTQG rating of the OEM tire is actually between the Defender and Premier. With an average treadwear rating of the three about 720 (that's around 70K miles), these tires should be considered hard. Soft tires usually average around the 200 treadwear area. The height and weight of a fullsize SUV causes pitch and roll, a soft tire (low treadwear) would make that worse.

The Bridgestones are 600.

The Defenders are 720

And the Premier is 620.

But 620 vs 600 with a tire that will RFB under 10 lbs...makes the difference.

I am sure the M offers better in terms of comfort but I think the bigger deal is overall quality (better quality control) and better chance of getting low RF numbers. I'm sure many tires will improve vibration issues as long as they have low RF numbers.

Edited by ajs800
  • Like 1

Well I just got back from a 2000 miles road trip trailering my corvette. About 5400 lbs total. The 8 speed is the bomb for towing easily! The tires were great and did well. Quiet and good in the rain. Hit some insane rain. My trailer likes a bit of tongue weight and that is where I noticed the side wall is a bit softer. The Bridgstones were like rocks and didn't flex at all. The defenders did bulge so I pumped up the tire as recommended to 45 lbs. because I was concerned. They wore well and no sway, so overall no complaints. That softer sidewall must be why the ride is so improved and compliant. So now I have done it all with these tires and I give them an A+. I will add as some people don't think of this. The tread is very deep and you do get more tire for your money w/ Michelin. Good luck guys!

Edited by seamus2154

are yo

Well I just got back from a 2000 miles road trip trailering my corvette. About 5400 lbs total. The 8 speed is the bomb for towing easily! The tires were great and did well. Quiet and good in the rain. Hit some insane rain. My trailer likes a bit of tongue weight and that is where I noticed the side wall is a bit softer. The Bridgstones were like rocks and didn't flex at all. The defenders did bulge so I pumped up the tire as recommended to 45 lbs. because I was concerned. They wore well and no sway, so overall no complaints. That softer sidewall must be why the ride is so improved and compliant. So now I have done it all with these tires and I give them an A+. I will add as some people don't think of this. The tread is very deep and you do get more tire for your money w/ Michelin. Good luck guys

glad to hear...are you running 22 Denali Reps or another wheel? If reps, who did you buy from?

are yo

glad to hear...are you running 22 Denali Reps or another wheel? If reps, who did you buy from?

I had stock 22" w/ the bridgestones. I am now running the Michelin Defenders w/ a reproduction rim. They are chrome 22's called the "snowflake" which was one of the 2900 dollar optional rims from GM. Either way they are very nice quality, chrome finish is very nice, balanced out well. I bought them on Ebay from a vendor called EZ dealin. My reasoning was he was in Georgia close to my location for shipping and he had REAL chrome rims not PVD which a lot of vendors have, which is essentially a powder coat.

They look awesome on a black truck and really stand out as most did not go for that option. Good luck