AMP Research LED Replacement

Hello!

Just installed my AMP Research Powersteps and they look awesome. That being said, the LED lights that come with it do not look awesome. Before someone shoots off about checking the forum for solutions know that I did, and I saw the post about someone using the COB Daylights as plug in plays for the running board lightings. That being said I asked my buddy about it who does electrical engineering and he said that they are regulated LEDs and that though they might be working now, when they go out it could start a fire. The way he explained it was, "Its like switching a 20amp fuse for a 10amp, it might work for a long time, even years, but when it goes wrong once its going to make a big issue."

This all being said he is a pretty busy guy so isn't able to help me figure out a proper fix. Heres what I want to do. I want one solid led strip the length of the running board to turn on when the steps come down, and go out when the steps retract. I don't like how the plug and play COB Lights break the light into two steps and are crazy bright I would much rather have one solid beam across it. If I could get THIS to work Id be all for it except that I want white lights to be white. Any thoughts on this?

I totally agree with you - great steps but crappy lighting - I would love to replace with a light strip along the bottom - Hoping it's as easy as tapping and using the existing wiring...btw, that Toyota lighting is awesome looking....

I totally agree with you - great steps but crappy lighting - I would love to replace with a light strip along the bottom - Hoping it's as easy as tapping and using the existing wiring...btw, that Toyota lighting is awesome looking....

I might just try to tap it and see what happens. Worst case I blow out an old used led strip lol he did that fading using either pwm circuit or mosfet but it's just out of my reach electrically :/

Would you consider taking it some where ? My stereo shop is really good with electrical car stuff. Pretty cheap comparitivly speaking.

I thought about it but at the end of the day that's going to cost me around 150 avg. For that much I can plug and play them myself lol

Go to the Running board thread there have been people swapping the lights out with out an issue

As I stated in the post, I read that and people have been swapping with the COB lights which aren't rated the same. Do you have a specific post with which you are referring?

I just found a guy on here who's done it so after asking some questions I'm going to order a set I think.

Could you document the build when you do it?

I would like to do the same thing with my new AMPs.

Yes I will. I need to start a build thread on my truck lol I have a ton of pics with before and afters of all my mods and haven't put them up.

ill post the video I took of mine. gimme a minute :)
https://vimeo.com/160802580

http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Waterproof-Aluminum-Daylight-Vehicles/dp/B00C1YI2XA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

these are the lights. I ordered 2 pairs. 2 for each side

Hello!

Just installed my AMP Research Powersteps and they look awesome. That being said, the LED lights that come with it do not look awesome. Before someone shoots off about checking the forum for solutions know that I did, and I saw the post about someone using the COB Daylights as plug in plays for the running board lightings. That being said I asked my buddy about it who does electrical engineering and he said that they are regulated LEDs and that though they might be working now, when they go out it could start a fire. The way he explained it was, "Its like switching a 20amp fuse for a 10amp, it might work for a long time, even years, but when it goes wrong once its going to make a big issue."

This all being said he is a pretty busy guy so isn't able to help me figure out a proper fix. Heres what I want to do. I want one solid led strip the length of the running board to turn on when the steps come down, and go out when the steps retract. I don't like how the plug and play COB Lights break the light into two steps and are crazy bright I would much rather have one solid beam across it. If I could get THIS to work Id be all for it except that I want white lights to be white. Any thoughts on this?

I love the idea and would love to hear how you do it. I plan on getting amp steps next month.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Archived