2018 T1XX platform discussion is now open

The media reports that keep popping up show GM using a combination of materials to reduce weight or improve structure.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2016/05/18/gm-says-first-weld-steel-aluminum/84558702/

I have read the same ,about the use of combination of materials .

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O J, I don't disagree that GM will use Aluminum ,I just will say that GM will not go all total Aluminum, like Ford did on the F150 !

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot wait. I've had three GMT800's and love that platform. I wish I could go back in time and buy a brand new '02 extended cab with a 4.8L.

I'm hoping the new truck is sized similarly to the GMT800 and has a small V8 available, but I won't hold my breath.

• 2 weeks later...

Likely that it revs quicker, that's an often mentioned positive trait. That and better torque than a V6 with comparable mileage.

That being said, I would think the 5.3 would do fine. Gotta hand it to GM, they nailed the AFM on these new engines.

I cannot wait. I've had three GMT800's and love that platform. I wish I could go back in time and buy a brand new '02 extended cab with a 4.8L.

I'm hoping the new truck is sized similarly to the GMT800 and has a small V8 available, but I won't hold my breath.

One of my fav trucks & first vehicle I ever ordered was a 2000 GMC Sierra Reg cab Short bed. Though ordered it w/5.3.

Never thought I would see someone wanting that 4.8 brought back to life. Interesting is all as thought the real world mpg numbers between the 2 V8's were fractional differences.

• 4 weeks later...

i want to see a more rust proof frame, body. whether it be painting or aluminum. the wax coating on my 15 is a joke. a Boosted engine wether it be a small turbo something or a small diesel. and round Freaking wheel wells.

GM for life!

better rust proofing , power coat frame or under coat the whole underside ??? Standard on ALL trucks - WT /LT / LTZ - Led lights (inside / outside) , Power mirror's , Heated seats ( front / rear ) , line-x . GM KEEP THE PRICE DOWN $$$$$$

• 3 weeks later...

better rust proofing , power coat frame or under coat the whole underside ??? Standard on ALL trucks - WT /LT / LTZ - Led lights (inside / outside) , Power mirror's , Heated seats ( front / rear ) , line-x . GM KEEP THE PRICE DOWN $$$$$$

:wtf: Can't have both. If you want more features the price will go up, quite simple. Want premium features, be prepared to pay premium prices...

Tyler

• 2 months later...

Archived