2016 chevy 3500 dually crew cab HC [duramax diesel ]

To keep it short, Im in a 2500hd duramax now and want to go to a dually . What are some of the complaints by those that have a dually on why you don't like it ? I understand that its wider in the rear and is probably a pain to go thru a Mcdonalds drive thru. Im one to ALWAYS park far away from the stores and just walk, it does not bother me. Main reason is with-in a year im going to upgrade my jayco Toy hauler and ive just always wanted a dually since I was a little kid.

Too big to DD for me, then again I don't tow fifth wheels so I wouldn't want a Dually. It seems fun and it is for a while but gets old fast.. Buying 6 tires too gets old. Had a 99 dually back in high school and it got old driving

To keep it short, Im in a 2500hd duramax now and want to go to a dually . What are some of the complaints by those that have a dually on why you don't like it ? I understand that its wider in the rear and is probably a pain to go thru a Mcdonalds drive thru. Im one to ALWAYS park far away from the stores and just walk, it does not bother me. Main reason is with-in a year im going to upgrade my jayco Toy hauler and ive just always wanted a dually since I was a little kid.

Rcmike, you are doing exactly what my wife and I are doing. I just traded in a GMC Sierra 1500 ExCab, 5.3, with tow package custom exhausts and K&N intake that we had been pulling a 35' travel trailer with for the past two years. It performed well, was a pleasure to drive and pulled our 8000#+ trailer up and over mountains in Oregon, Wyoming, and Colorado with no issues. We are going to purchase a 5th wheel after the first of 2017; although we don't know which one yet, we know it will weigh in about 16,000-18,000# with a pin weight over 3,000#. We bought a new 2015 GMC SierraHD CCLB SLT 3500 dually, diesel about three weeks ago and couldn't be happier with the truck. I can't wait to see what it does with the current travel trailer for the rest of the year, I am thinking that it will be difficult to tell I am hooked up. It rides A LOT better than we were expecting, and others have commented on how well it rode as well. Yes, it wheel hops over those dang parking lot bumpers, but so did the 1500; I figure it is a wash. I always parked out further in the parking lot anyway, and I figure I just gave up drive thru accessibility which is not a big deal to me. I don't notice the extra 8" wheel fenders on each side as much as I notice sitting up higher, which is great. Do it, I love mine! :thumbs:

Dad bought an '09 dually, I'd borrow it from time to time to help people move. His general rule of thumb was if the mirrors fit then the butt will fit too. Now that it's mine and I've been using it as my DD for 5 months I haven't found that statement to be false yet. I can't comment on the drive thru since even before the dually I went inside as much as possible. I just don't like being boxed in like that. As KMG stated replacing 6 tires hurts, just did all 6 on the 31st. As well as replacing you've also got the upkeep of 6 instead of 4. Oddly enough I think I spin 4 tires in back more than when I had 2. Diesels are just too quiet, I miss my obnoxious 6.0.

• 3 weeks later...

I did that upgrade last June. The 3500hHD long bed is BIG and seems BIG. The turning radius is such that it's very easy to get the right rear wheel into the curb on right turns. When parking I have a hard time with depth perception front and rear but it's probably my tri-focal glasses. Don't like that the right front fender well needs to be removed to replace the fuel filter. Not good. Otherwise it pulls my 36' BigHorn just fine at interstate speeds and provides the stability needed for emergency maneuvers at interstate speeds.

I did that upgrade last June. The 3500hHD long bed is BIG and seems BIG. The turning radius is such that it's very easy to get the right rear wheel into the curb on right turns. When parking I have a hard time with depth perception front and rear but it's probably my tri-focal glasses. Don't like that the right front fender well needs to be removed to replace the fuel filter. Not good. Otherwise it pulls my 36' BigHorn just fine at interstate speeds and provides the stability needed for emergency maneuvers at interstate speeds.

Install you one of these access doors next time you have the liner out. Makes the filter change a bit more accessible.

http://www.madjackdiesel.com/category-s/557.htm

Thanks for the input !

. Thanks,,, ill order one of those also,,, cool site..... You have insight on bully dog tuners ? Good,bad ?

NO! Pure junk... If your going to go that route I would only recommend EFI live with a tune from a reputable tuner such as PPEI, motor ops, etc

• 2 weeks later...

I am on my second dually and won't be going back to a SRW truck until my hauling towing days are over.

I bought an 08 Silverado dually new, had it for almost 8 years and ordered my 2016 dually and have had it for 4 months. I had a 33 ft Montana Fiver and towed that with SRW trucks and thought it towed fine until I towed it with a dually, just so much more solid on the road, especially in windy conditions. Now I haul a 5000 pound camper and I need the payload of a gas dually which is 760 pounds more than a Dmax in my model. I could have got my needed payload with a new Ford diesel but been there, done that. As said before, your mirrors are the widest part of your truck but you have to get used to the extra width behind you as well but it does not take long. When going over weigh scales or when you have to get your rear wheels close to curbs or rails, I use my mirrors. My 08 dually was an extended cab, the new one is a crew cab and nice to have the rear camera and front and rear sensors that come on the High Country are slick. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Archived